The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE English Literature may/june 2022

How many marks do you lose for not writing context in modern prose question?
It's depends with the marking scheme but I wouldn't want to lose a Mark at all. Not unless I know nothing about the question.
For edexcel igcse, the context is worth 50% of the modern prose question. If you haven't written about context at all, you're looking at a maximum of 20/40, and to achieve that you need to have made very perceptive points about the text as a whole
Reply 3
Original post by Whizz2244
For edexcel igcse, the context is worth 50% of the modern prose question. If you haven't written about context at all, you're looking at a maximum of 20/40, and to achieve that you need to have made very perceptive points about the text as a whole

NO!! I don't think i included context. Is it possible to get an A for english literature if i do well on paper 2?
Original post by User2762
NO!! I don't think i included context. Is it possible to get an A for english literature if i do well on paper 2?

Don't worry about it - there was that unseen poetry in the paper too. That was worth 20 marks. Sometimes what can happen too is that you somehow imply contextual points, so you may have picked up some marks without realising.

Let me do a bit of maths, and I'll get back to you on that
Right. I think you might've got lucky on this. Because they took out the anthology poetry for that question, the paper is now only out of 60, where it used to be out of 90. So, that means that this paper 2 you're about to sit is also worth 50% of the GCSE. You'll have to do pretty well in it, but it should be possible. Depending on how you think you might've done, let's say you got something like 37/60 (probably higher than that, don't worry). That's about 62%. The grade boundary for a 9 in 2019 was 74%. So you're looking at being able to drop maybe 9 marks at an absolute maximum. These are very very rough estimates - it might be more, or might be less.

But long story short, it should be possible for you to get a 9 if you smash this second paper :smile:
Reply 6
Wait...My English Literature teacher told me that Edexcel had decided to fill the mark difference caused by the removal of the anthology poetry question by increasing the mark percentage of paper 1, making the the modern prose question the single most important component that determines 60% of the final grade.
Original post by Whizz2244
Right. I think you might've got lucky on this. Because they took out the anthology poetry for that question, the paper is now only out of 60, where it used to be out of 90. So, that means that this paper 2 you're about to sit is also worth 50% of the GCSE. You'll have to do pretty well in it, but it should be possible. Depending on how you think you might've done, let's say you got something like 37/60 (probably higher than that, don't worry). That's about 62%. The grade boundary for a 9 in 2019 was 74%. So you're looking at being able to drop maybe 9 marks at an absolute maximum. These are very very rough estimates - it might be more, or might be less.

But long story short, it should be possible for you to get a 9 if you smash this second paper :smile:
Hi guys do you remember what the things fall apart essays were on for this paper?!
Reply 8
I got world's highest mark 150/150 for IGCSE Edexcel English Literature *crying*
Ironically I'm doing all STEM-related subjects for A-level now hahaha
Hell yes!!! Well done for 150/150, that's amazing! Could you please help me figure out how the marks were split? I'm trying to figure out if they accepted my exemption or not, and I know my final mark out of 150, but I think they included the marks for the paper I didn't do. I'm not sure what the breakdown of marks for each paper was though, so I don't know how many marks I got for my coursework or for paper one. If you remember how the marks were split between papers that would be super helpful!! And again, really really well done on full marks!

Quick Reply

Latest