The Student Room Group

Unseen poetry PLEASE HELP TY

Could somebody please explain how to answer the 8 mark unseen poetry question (preferably someone who got an 8/9 or is predicted) as I've had to teach it to myself and never get higher than an embarrassing 5/8, which is not great considering I would like a 9.

All advice is welcome :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thrivingfrog
Could somebody please explain how to answer the 8 mark unseen poetry question (preferably someone who got an 8/9 or is predicted) as I've had to teach it to myself and never get higher than an embarrassing 5/8, which is not great considering I would like a 9.

Hi there.

Sorry, I can't really help with this query but I'll tag @harlz_chalamet and @aliaa03 who may be able to help. :smile:

Please try to avoid bumping if you're thread is quite recent - thanks!

Good luck. :smile:

heyy, i was able to get 8/8 on unseen poetry questions for literature so i can help you out of you want?? :smile:
Oh we're back at where we started... correct me if I've used any American terminology :colone:

Watch Mr Salles and Mr Everything English!!!
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Sorry, I can't really help with this query but I'll tag @harlz_chalamet and @aliaa03 who may be able to help. :smile:

liking the green theme you’ve got going on
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Sorry, I only bumped it as it had been over an hour and I kinda need to work this out sooner rather than later because my exam is next week.
Original post by harlz_chalamet
heyy, i was able to get 8/8 on unseen poetry questions for literature so i can help you out of you want?? :smile:

Please 😂 what structure do you use? Because I've been told about 4 different ways and have no clue what I'm actually meant to write about (whether I include an intro, impact on the reader etc)
Original post by madzzzzina
Oh we're back at where we started... correct me if I've used any American terminology :colone:

Dw, I will be sure to let you know :wink:
And ty! What are your opinions on Mr Bruff? My English teacher rages about him, but his videos seem to contradict everything I've been taught :colonhash:
Dw, I will be sure to let you know :wink:
And ty! What are your opinions on Mr Bruff? My English teacher rages about him, but his videos seem to contradict everything I've been taught :colonhash:

Although they work for some people, his videos don't work for me and also yes, some of what he says DOES contradict what we've been taught both by teachers and by classmates/friends.

This is not an ad, I've not been paid for this, but when I discovered Mr Everything English and later on Mr Salles, my life has NEVER been the same again!! (that totally sounds like an ad doesn't it?)

On a real note, I seriously suggest watching these 2 teachers, they explain everything really well, what you need to do and how you need to answer questions. OH AND ALSO First Rate Tutors, gotta mention her. She does past papers/mocks and she goes through everything step-by-step, although bc she does it on live stream, the vids are like 2 hrs long etc.

I do hope the feedback I gave you the other day was helpful, and if you do another unseen poetry 8 marker, get a teacher to quickly mark it for you and see if you've improved :smile:
I got a grade 8, this is my advice:
I believe there are 2 parts to unseen:

1. Understanding the poems
2. Answering the questions

For part 1 MR BRUFF IS A KING. He has a playlist for unseen poetry, going through example unseen poems, and providing exemplar answers (grade 7, then 8 then 9 responses,so you can compare your answer to his) so i would check that out first.

There are only 3 videos and they're all under 10 mins long

Buut if you already understand unseen pretty welll, and just want to answer questions, scoll down

Spoiler

Also credit to Mr Salles, he has more in depth explanations, if you prefer that.

Spoiler

:biggrin: but....
Add mr bruff to your list NOW :angry:

okay 2.
i found a pdf which has mock questions and (only some) sample answers.
it also has varying difficulty questions, so you can try these out

Spoiler

just seraching for mock questions online , and comparing to full / top mark answers is a great way to see how you;re doing.

But remember English is open to interpretation, so there is no discrete answer to getting top marks. As long as you can explain something (and it makes sense), no reason why you can't get grade 7/8/9 easily

good luck :smile:
Original post by itslitbro

:biggrin: but....
Add mr bruff to your list NOW :angry:

Well seeing as you think so highly of Mr Bruff, YOU recommend him to froggy. AT LEAST CREDIT ME WHEN I SAID HIS TIPS WORK FOR OTHER PEOPLE but not for me!!!! :mad:
Damn all this controversy around some poor guy on youtube 😂
But thankyou @itslitbro and @madzzzina, I would quote you both but I can't really be bothered haha. Only slight issue is there is no chance of my teacher responding to an email in half term and by the time I have him again it's the day before my exam so slight inconvenience there :redface:
Damn all this controversy around some poor guy on youtube 😂
But thankyou @itslitbro and @madzzzina, I would quote you both but I can't really be bothered haha. Only slight issue is there is no chance of my teacher responding to an email in half term and by the time I have him again it's the day before my exam so slight inconvenience there :redface:

You're welcome :smile:
Send him an email and mark it with flags or whatever people do to make their emails scream 'IMPORTANT!'
Also post it here so amazing people can mark it and give you feedback if your teacher doesn't seem to reply. Isn't the exam on Wednesday or something like that?
Well seeing as you think so highly of Mr Bruff, YOU recommend him to froggy. AT LEAST CREDIT ME WHEN I SAID HIS TIPS WORK FOR OTHER PEOPLE but not for me!!!! :mad:

@thrivingfrog i recommend Mr Bruff on YouTube

CREDIT TO YOU FOR SAYING HIS TIPS WORK FOR OTHERS but not for you!!!! :angry:
Original post by itslitbro
@thrivingfrog i recommend Mr Bruff on YouTube

CREDIT TO YOU FOR SAYING HIS TIPS WORK FOR OTHERS but not for you!!!! :angry:

thank you, much appreciated :biggrin:
thank you, much appreciated :biggrin:

(In MJ voice) hehe -- all good :idea2:
You're welcome :smile:
Send him an email and mark it with flags or whatever people do to make their emails scream 'IMPORTANT!'
Also post it here so amazing people can mark it and give you feedback if your teacher doesn't seem to reply. Isn't the exam on Wednesday or something like that?

Yup Wednesday morning, poetry and Macbeth. Really excited
Please 😂 what structure do you use? Because I've been told about 4 different ways and have no clue what I'm actually meant to write about (whether I include an intro, impact on the reader etc)

so this question is the comparison question between the two poems(I'm assuming that you also do AQA).
i'd say that you should write 2/3 main points on the similarities and differences between the poems, and those points can have mini integrated points too.

the points should be overall points differences between the poems and some similarities and you need techniques to back up your point.

so for example, is the poem in 1st, 2nd or 3rd person and what effect does it bring upon you as the reader?
poems use metaphors SO much so you will likely be able to find a metaphor - make sure you deep dive into it as well by giving alternative meanings.
so you can use a lot of linguistic techniques to help you back up your point!
(if the poem is a depressing one, pathos is a good technique to think about)!

my teacher always taught me to try and spot a poetic technique and write about it as well. i normally write about either enjambment, stanzas or if there is a rhyming couplet - rhyming couplet can represent a finalised idea so you could link it to that.
there are many other poetic techniques such as caesura which you can use too!

obviously, make sure you quote and integrate your quotations.
also, because this is a comparison question, it may be a good idea to learn some vocab when you cross-reference.
so words and phrases such as: however, in complete contrast/ juxtaposition, conversely ... you get the idea.

i think Mr Salles is doing unseen poetry live at around 5 pm so maybe bare that in mind??
he's my English saviour so I'll be watching that haha

hope this helps somewhat :smile:
Yup Wednesday morning, poetry and Macbeth. Really excited

Oh good luck, I hope you do well!! Romeo and Juliet and then unseen poetry for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest