The Student Room Group

my english speaking gcse

hi! im in y10 and i go to a top grammar school and its that time of year where english speaking is due.... my topic was going to be bitcoin or monetary economics or even politics based but people in my class said they would snore etc

besides that, its natural for us to get distinctions but i fear my topic is somehwat limiting? '' david attenborough is a national treasure '' honestly, not that passionate and im only really doing it bc the jokey ones had much more better response than my previous topic haha

an alternative would be '' people dont care about climate change '' but answerign questions on that would be tricky i could do soft morals and go into human selfishness bla bla lack of incentives
Original post by oikawa-
hi! im in y10 and i go to a top grammar school and its that time of year where english speaking is due.... my topic was going to be bitcoin or monetary economics or even politics based but people in my class said they would snore etc

besides that, its natural for us to get distinctions but i fear my topic is somehwat limiting? '' david attenborough is a national treasure '' honestly, not that passionate and im only really doing it bc the jokey ones had much more better response than my previous topic haha

an alternative would be '' people dont care about climate change '' but answerign questions on that would be tricky i could do soft morals and go into human selfishness bla bla lack of incentives

hi! year 11 here who has done their english speaking and got a distinction, i would say try your best to find something you are passionate about, but also something that can be explained and presented engagingly- perhaps a topic you hold close to your heart, but something other people in your class can understand and relate to as well, therefore making it easier both for you to answer questions, as well as your classmates to stay entertained. i think if you can add in some humour with the monetary economics thing (which you seem quite interested in) that would be awesome! as long as your content is sophisticated but not a snooze fest, and your delivery keeps the class interested you are gonna do just fine. i hope this helped and i didnt just waffle but yeah! i did mine on colourism in south asian communities as its something i could relate to and a lot of people in my class were already aware about, and that went just fine for me.
moved your thread to a more relevant forum
Reply 3
Original post by jelly.yyyy
hi! year 11 here who has done their english speaking and got a distinction, i would say try your best to find something you are passionate about, but also something that can be explained and presented engagingly- perhaps a topic you hold close to your heart, but something other people in your class can understand and relate to as well, therefore making it easier both for you to answer questions, as well as your classmates to stay entertained. i think if you can add in some humour with the monetary economics thing (which you seem quite interested in) that would be awesome! as long as your content is sophisticated but not a snooze fest, and your delivery keeps the class interested you are gonna do just fine. i hope this helped and i didnt just waffle but yeah! i did mine on colourism in south asian communities as its something i could relate to and a lot of people in my class were already aware about, and that went just fine for me.

thank you! this really helped i think ill take a brave step and do economics and not be too fussed ab grades
Original post by oikawa-
thank you! this really helped i think ill take a brave step and do economics and not be too fussed ab grades

no worries!! if you're interested in a topic, that will come through to your audience and they'll be interested as well. you are gonna smash this!!!! im sure u will do amazing, feel free to let me know how it goes.
Reply 5
hiii!!!!! i ended up doing '' why we rightfully dont care about climate change'' instead of my bitcoin one as i submitted an essay on it for a a competition instead... in essence i covered how theres a lack of political incentive to care ( world leaders not settign a good example or making necessary legislations to limit global warming ) and how this leads to a lack of economic incentive in markets to provide affordable eco - friendly commerce and how we as consumers are often forced or expected to go out of our own way to invest in said products. and a short psychological para on how media representation of climate change makes us like desensitized. like when we get repeatedly introduced to a stimulus the stimulus doesnt give much of a psychological reaction anymore..

ANYWYAS i did it. my class clapped ppl said i did good but i was red the wholeee time ( didnt know it was me ) ended weirdly and i looked like i was gonna cry ( i did ! )
ill let u know if i get a distinction or merit but yeah
Original post by oikawa-
hiii!!!!! i ended up doing '' why we rightfully dont care about climate change'' instead of my bitcoin one as i submitted an essay on it for a a competition instead... in essence i covered how theres a lack of political incentive to care ( world leaders not settign a good example or making necessary legislations to limit global warming ) and how this leads to a lack of economic incentive in markets to provide affordable eco - friendly commerce and how we as consumers are often forced or expected to go out of our own way to invest in said products. and a short psychological para on how media representation of climate change makes us like desensitized. like when we get repeatedly introduced to a stimulus the stimulus doesnt give much of a psychological reaction anymore..

ANYWYAS i did it. my class clapped ppl said i did good but i was red the wholeee time ( didnt know it was me ) ended weirdly and i looked like i was gonna cry ( i did ! )
ill let u know if i get a distinction or merit but yeah

hello!! im so proud, that topic literally sounds so awesome! i would have loved to hear it. you've covered some extremely relevant points with a critical viewpoint. and dont worry about it, a lot of people were a tiny bit nervous, as long as you were clear about what you were talking about ur gonna do amazing. it's kind of nerve wracking because its in front of people you already know so igy LOL! just lmk how the results are but im sure u did wonderful <33
Reply 7
Original post by jelly.yyyy
hello!! im so proud, that topic literally sounds so awesome! i would have loved to hear it. you've covered some extremely relevant points with a critical viewpoint. and dont worry about it, a lot of people were a tiny bit nervous, as long as you were clear about what you were talking about ur gonna do amazing. it's kind of nerve wracking because its in front of people you already know so igy LOL! just lmk how the results are but im sure u did wonderful <33

aaaaa thank u sm! i got a distinction somehow shaking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending