The Student Room Group

Pass first year at uni

What are the requirements to pass the first year at uni? And if I failed in one module and got good marks in others will I fail the year, and if I want to transfer to another university will they accept me in the second year?
Original post by Ola jneid
What are the requirements to pass the first year at uni? And if I failed in one module and got good marks in others will I fail the year, and if I want to transfer to another university will they accept me in the second year?

I highly doubt they will accept you with failed modules, you may struggle to be accepted into first year at the new university.

You will need 120 credits, their is a thing called condoned fails but these are at the discretion of the exam board, and you would likely have to resit (and probably have your mark capped at 40%).
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
I highly doubt they will accept you with failed modules, you may struggle to be accepted into first year at the new university.

You will need 120 credits, their is a thing called condoned fails but these are at the discretion of the exam board, and you would likely have to resit (and probably have your mark capped at 40%).

Can I transfer to the first year taking into account the credits I passed?
Can I transfer to the first year taking into account the credits I passed?

It would be up to the new institution, but honestly transferring is not an easy thing to do, and you're track record wont help.
You need to check your uni's regulations, but it is fairly common that if you fail only one module worth 20 credits or less, it can get "automatic compensation" - you get the credits and don't need to do a retake/resit but the original marks stays on your Transcript. Note that a non-submission may not be eligible for automatic compensation, in which because you would have to re-submit in August.
Bear in mind that your transcript (including the record of the FAIL as it stands) will travel with you to your next uni when you apply to enter second year and could go against you. Even first year entry would need a decent story for why things didn't work out at your original uni.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hey,

Usually, the pass mark is 40 - so you need to achieve 40% in all your modules to achieve the 120 credits. If you failed a module, you should have to retake it and the mark will be capped at 40, you just need to achieve this to pass.

In terms of transferring universities, I think you would have to talk to the specific universities about their requirements to move universities.

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Sara
Coventry University Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest