Reply 40
Pirouette
I'd prefer to think of it more like this:

money the shop keeper had = x
money the shop keeper had after being paid back = x + 100
money the shop keeper had after donation = x

x = x

He didn't lose anything, and made my day a little brighter in the long run :P

so if i work throughout my whole life and gain £10,000 and then i spend it all and die, i haven't made or lost anything during my life?
Reply 41
madima
let's do some basc arithmetic:

money the shop keeper had before his dumbass activity = x
money the shop keeper had after his dumbass activity = x - 100

(x - 100) < x

=> shop keeper lost 100 units.

He's lost nothing he was entitled to.

Facts:

£100 stolen. -
£100 repaid via insurance +
£100 paid to him by guilty thief +
£100 given to charity -

Let's do some more basic arithmatic:

X - 100 + 100 + 100 - 100 = X

He's no better or worse off than he was before it started.
Reply 42
madima
so if i work throughout my whole life and gain £10,000 and then i spend it all and die, i haven't made or lost anything during my life?

Overall, no.
He wasn't really a theif, though, just an oppertunist.

He was probably just some ordinary guy who became tormented by guilt and then topped himself...
Reply 44
JC.
Overall, no.

*sigh*
another example:
i am a polish person and i just earned £2.50 for a hard days' work. i then get mugged by a skin head who takes my £2.50.

according to you, i have lost nothing.
Reply 45
Me and my friend nearly did that when we were 10, and my friend stole 2 bottles of cheap perfume from the pound shop.. :o:
DisgruntledMoth
He wasn't really a theif, though, just an oppertunist.

The last time I heard, if I take something from a shop that wasn't mine then it makes me a thief!
BeautifullyTragic
The last time I heard, if I take something from a shop that wasn't mine then it makes me a thief!

I thought someone might say that.

My meaning was, that the shop had already been broken into, and the oppertunist/theif just grabbed a few packets of cigarettes to feed his addiction. In the situation, I'd say the real thieves were the people who broke into the shop in the first place.
Reply 48
madima
*sigh*
another example:
i am a polish person and i just earned £2.50 for a hard days' work. i then get mugged by a skin head who takes my £2.50.

according to you, i have lost nothing.

That's an inapropriate example.
To align it with the shopkeeper story, the pole would claim on his insurance, be subsequently reimbursed by the thief and donate this reimbursment to the british legion. Mr pole now has £2.50 and is no better off than when he started. Just like before.

It's not my fault if you can't get your head around anything more than "basic".

Latest

Trending

Trending