The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
white and asian youths imitating black youths essentially.

There are some that would like to give you more overblown answers involving evoution of language and the emergence of a genuinely homgoneous youth culture but personally I think they are talking aboslute tosh and trying to further their own agendas.

Bottom line is there is no credible reason for a white British person to speak like that anymore than there is for them to randomly start talking in an Australian or Japanese accent, it's all extremely laughable really.
It's because this Jafaican, as it's aptly known, has become very fashionable of late. Myself I prefer a good East End accent, but I suppose it could be erased over time.
It hasnt really changed, its just moved more East of the Central and District line (and Ilford-Romford rail :p:)

While in the East End it has... more ghetto-ish lol
Erik.
white and asian youths imitating black youths essentially.

There are some that would like to give you more overblown answers involving evoution of language and the emergence of a genuinely homgoneous youth culture but personally I think they are talking aboslute tosh and trying to further their own agendas.

Bottom line is there is no credible reason for a white British person to speak like that anymore than there is for them to randomly start talking in an Australian or Japanese accent, it's all extremely laughable really.

erm...NO
its people being who they are, it has nothing to do with race
Reply 5
pink_lucie
erm...NO
its people being who they are, it has nothing to do with race

but if you are a white British person, talking in a pseudo-Jamaican accent is clearly not 'who you are' :s-smilie:

whereas if you are in fact of Carribbean origin, talking in a such a way would obviously seem a lot more credible and less ridiculous.

so therefore it has everything to do with race, not in a unpleasant way, it just does...
Reply 6
uni!
when i see london teens on tv they have this weird accent, u kno the one where they say 'innit' at the end. i know its mostly the black youth but also the whites do to. why has cockney accent changed??????

The cockney accent originates in East London, why do you assume that all London teens would talk as if they come from Mile End or Ilford?
Reply 7
I thought it was usual for accents to evolve over time anyway.
RedDragon
I thought it was usual for accents to evolve over time anyway.

It is. :smile:

Some people have a problem with it though..
Reply 9
Guys this is 'London' we are talking about. The place with no harmony, just chaos.

My advice .... don't even stoop to those prats, leave London ASAP, leave those bastards to themselves and let them rot away like my **** rots away in the bog.
FM08
Guys this is 'London' we are talking about. The place with no harmony, just chaos.

I beg to differ, my friend. :smile:
Reply 11
FM08

My advice .... don't even stoop to those prats, leave London ASAP, leave those bastards to themselves and let them rot away like my **** rots away in the bog.

:zomg: How dare you ? I am very happy in London for the most part, and I'm a nice person- as are all my friends! I find that very insulting, young sir :sad:
Reply 12
People are more important than those attractions in the centre. Outside the centre London is like one big heap of ****. If you cannot see this, I pity you, I really do. There's a brothel directly opposite my house, I don't know my neighbours, this is your typical London road.
Reply 13
Erik.

Sorry, Erik, but it's true!

London has become an incredibly multicultural city - both socially and linguistically, and there are hundreds of different dialects and languages being spoken there - Polish, Bengali, Albanian, Irish, Nigerian... Many of the people from other countries who now live in London have had children who were born here. So we are getting a generation of children who quite often speak one language at home and another with their peers. And because these peers are multi-ethnic, from many different races and cultures, they have different ways of speaking. So young people are converging with the speech of each other - i.e. they are making their dialects sound more like that of their peers. Call it peer pressure, but it happens in all of us, however young or old we are.

As a result of this multi-ethnic convergence, a new dialect has emerged, not only in London, but also in other major multi-cultural cities e.g. Manchester and Birmingham. It's a mark of identity - young people who speak in this multi-ethnic dialect want to distinguish themselves in some way. It's also been made more popular by things like rap. This makes more people want to speak it because the dialect is being seen as "popular" or "cool".

Erik.

Wrong. There is a very credible reason. It's not about one accent taking over another, as you're suggesting. The whole point of the new dialect is that it is a mix of accents. When people speak this way, they're not consciously thinking, "I want to sound like an Asian person/ I want to sound like a black person" - because the dialect has gone beyond being attributed to one race above another. It's a youth dialect now, and it is multi-ethnic.

And I promise you, I'm not trying to further any agenda. It's just a theory - some people may disagree with it, but there is a lot of historical evidence behind it.
Reply 14
i really cant stand london, but thats just my opinion and i will not on hate on people who think otherwise. as for the accent, i agree that it is to do with kids adopting a dizzee rascal style accent
Reply 15
This is my last post on the matter for now.

I really don't need to be wasting my time explaining why London is the shower of ***** it really is. I have better things to do, like watching Havant and Waterlooville vs Brentford. Cheerio.
FM08
People are more important than those attractions in the centre. Outside the centre London is like one big heap of ****. If you cannot see this, I pity you, I really do. There's a brothel directly opposite my house, I don't know my neighbours, this is your typical London road.

Quit the ignorance pal. I can think of only a few places I'd never set foot in.

And I do know my neighbours as a matter of fact. :smile:
Reply 17
Ywiss
Sorry, Erik, but it's true!

London has become an incredibly multicultural city - both socially and linguistically, and there are hundreds of different dialects and languages being spoken there - Polish, Bengali, Albanian, Irish, Nigerian... Many of the people from other countries who now live in London have had children who were born here. So we are getting a generation of children who quite often speak one language at home and another with their peers. And because these peers are multi-ethnic, from many different races and cultures, they have different ways of speaking. So young people are converging with the speech of each other - i.e. they are making their dialects sound more like that of their peers. Call it peer pressure, but it happens in all of us, however young or old we are.

As a result of this multi-ethnic convergence, a new dialect has emerged, not only in London, but also in other major multi-cultural cities e.g. Manchester and Birmingham. It's a mark of identity - young people who speak in this multi-ethnic dialect want to distinguish themselves in some way. It's also been made more popular by things like rap. This makes more people want to speak it because the dialect is being seen as "popular" or "cool".

Wrong. There is a very credible reason. It's not about one accent taking over another, as you're suggesting. The whole point of the new dialect is that it is a mix of accents. When people speak this way, they're not consciously thinking, "I want to sound like an Asian person/ I want to sound like a black person" - because the dialect has gone beyond being attributed to one race above another. It's a youth dialect now, and it is multi-ethnic.

And I promise you, I'm not trying to further any agenda. It's just a theory - some people may disagree with it, but there is a lot of historical evidence behind it.

well thank you for presenting a good argument instead of just anonmyous negging like the other person :s-smilie: I can understand a lot of the points you made - although I do feel it is somewhat undermined by fairly middle-class speakers of the new 'dialect' actually being from relatively ethnically homogenous areas like Surrey and certainly not rubbing shoulders with peers with multiple different cultures every day. This, plus the fact that it is almost exclusively employed by the young only, makes me think of there is an element of the accent being affected and 'a fashion thing', at least.

I suppose the question is will they really speak like that when they are 35 and have kids, a sensible car and an IKEA storecard? I really can''t see that. You can see how it is easy to write 'street patois' off as a youth fad related to hip-hop culture....
FM08

The centre of London is only Bloomsbury and Covent Garden strictly speaking. So Madam Tussauds and other museums, Westminster Palace, Richmond Park, Hyde Park, Kew Gardens, Tower Bridge and the City....

My criticism of London is that it lacks character but that is because too many people live there. Similar cities to London in their historical context have an identity sometimes quite different to their respective country for who they belong to (partly because foreign cities used events like war to thrive regional pride, we did it through our monarch...). Too many tourists and toffs I suppose.

Central London isn't that great. A simple lunch will cost you a bomb, people are often unapproachable, too much traffic and little place for sport.
Reply 19
Lol, the cockney accent hasn't changed, a new accent has emerged.

It's got nothing to do with Dizzee rascal ffs. The accents been their since the 80s or even before. It has NOTHING to do with intimation Lol, yeah outside of central london is abit rough (especially south, north, east) but not everyone is bad. It's just an identity, I don't see how it's different from a geordie accent.

Latest

Trending

Trending