Finding part time work

Watch this thread
fluffypoopies
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So I'm just about to finish year 13 and was hoping to find some part time work over the summer and to continue with through uni. However, I've been rejected from every single place I've applied to (over 50 i think by now, including McDonalds, Nando's, Boots, Tesco) and so I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to stop getting rejected basically lol?

This would be my first job - I'm not really fussy about what it is, I've applied for hospitality jobs, retail, fast food, hotels etc. I do have a CV, but no specific job experience, since I've not had a real job yet - only volunteering and work experiences which have been with banks/tech firms. I had my CV checked by a teacher at my school, who suggested that it was good, but I'm not too sure anymore.

Most of the people I know who are working say they've gotten their jobs through people they know e.g. family/relatives, but this route isn't possible for me.

So basically TLDR: how can I stop getting rejected (literally before the interview stage too) and find my first part-time work job in London at the age of 18? Any advice would be much appreciated
mfish894
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
I recommend the app job today if you haven’t tried it already, places in central london are looking for employees all the time
mfish894
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by fluffypoopies)
So I'm just about to finish year 13 and was hoping to find some part time work over the summer and to continue with through uni. However, I've been rejected from every single place I've applied to (over 50 i think by now, including McDonalds, Nando's, Boots, Tesco) and so I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to stop getting rejected basically lol?

This would be my first job - I'm not really fussy about what it is, I've applied for hospitality jobs, retail, fast food, hotels etc. I do have a CV, but no specific job experience, since I've not had a real job yet - only volunteering and work experiences which have been with banks/tech firms. I had my CV checked by a teacher at my school, who suggested that it was good, but I'm not too sure anymore.

Most of the people I know who are working say they've gotten their jobs through people they know e.g. family/relatives, but this route isn't possible for me.

So basically TLDR: how can I stop getting rejected (literally before the interview stage too) and find my first part-time work job in London at the age of 18? Any advice would be much appreciated
I had no cv lol but I still got some job interviews through the job today app
Cloudster
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 months ago

I was in the same position last year however you get a greater chance when you apply during ‘off season’ meaning during a time where it’s not a holiday. Or you can physically go into shops and ask them about any job availability and give them your cv.
because you don’t have any experiences most places will instantly look over your cv, try volunteering at places for the time being whilst looking for work since volunteering will allow you to gain more experiences and you will be able to put that on your cv.
Also if you have applied to hospitality jobs at restaurants and stuff, they would sometimes get you to do a 3 hour trial shift without paying you anything, this is there way to get free help without hiring you so be careful for those types of things.
ibyghee
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Warehouse jobs are the easiest to get in my opinion, alot dont even require a CV.
You just apply, turn up with your documents proving you can work in the UK and boom, you start work the next day.
fluffypoopies
Rep:
(Original post by mfish894)
I recommend the app job today if you haven’t tried it already, places in central london are looking for employees all the time
Thank you, i’ll check that out!
Noble.x
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
What course are you planning to do at university?
$of1a
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 months ago

did you get an interview at McDonald's? I have one today and was wondering how they go and what to wear as I have no smart trousers
Regarding getting a job, I am no help as I have been rejected from all the places you listed as well! Mcdonalds and Chessington have been the only companies who have gotten back to me
fluffypoopies
Rep:
(Original post by $of1a)
did you get an interview at McDonald's? I have one today and was wondering how they go and what to wear as I have no smart trousers
Regarding getting a job, I am no help as I have been rejected from all the places you listed as well! Mcdonalds and Chessington have been the only companies who have gotten back to me
I didnt even get invited to a McDonald’s interview they just rejected me straight away Good luck with your interview though - they’re probably not going to be toooo strict with dress code, so hopefully all is fine
fluffypoopies
Rep:
(Original post by Noble.x)
What course are you planning to do at university?
Computer science and maths lol
fluffypoopies
Rep:
(Original post by Sukn)
I was in the same position last year however you get a greater chance when you apply during ‘off season’ meaning during a time where it’s not a holiday. Or you can physically go into shops and ask them about any job availability and give them your cv.
because you don’t have any experiences most places will instantly look over your cv, try volunteering at places for the time being whilst looking for work since volunteering will allow you to gain more experiences and you will be able to put that on your cv.
Also if you have applied to hospitality jobs at restaurants and stuff, they would sometimes get you to do a 3 hour trial shift without paying you anything, this is there way to get free help without hiring you so be careful for those types of things.
I have done quite a bit of volunteering (I currently volunteer with a charity and have been doing this since November), but I’ll try doing some more over the summer too just to find a reason to not be at home all day lol.

Thank you for the suggestion of going into the shops and asking, I don’t know how I didn’t think of that! Do I ask to speak to a manager or who would I have to approach?
Cloudster
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I have done quite a bit of volunteering (I currently volunteer with a charity and have been doing this since November), but I’ll try doing some more over the summer too just to find a reason to not be at home all day lol.

Thank you for the suggestion of going into the shops and asking, I don’t know how I didn’t think of that! Do I ask to speak to a manager or who would I have to approach?
Talk to the floor staff and ask if you can speak to the manager regarding job opportunities or anyone who has a high position in that store. Ask them if they have any part time or full time positions. Make sure you have your cvs printed and give them one but make sure it’s not folded and does not have any creases on it.
Noble.x
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Computer science and maths lol
You can develop your own projects: software, mobile apps, websites and also contribute on open source projects (for work experience)

If you are interested more in the finance side of maths then look at any Banks, or even any company really and ask to have a work exp in the finance department then maybe you’ll get actual work from them?

Download the kalendit app where you can work in nurseries. I don’t know if you’d want that. How about stewards jobs? +447767 612355 it’s a company that’ll help get you a steward job depending on where you live but I think they’re London based
fluffypoopies
Rep:
(Original post by Sukn)
Talk to the floor staff and ask if you can speak to the manager regarding job opportunities or anyone who has a high position in that store. Ask them if they have any part time or full time positions. Make sure you have your cvs printed and give them one but make sure it’s not folded and does not have any creases on it.
Thank you so much for this! I went to a shopping centre today and saw some stores have a ‘looking for retail assistants’ sign on the window so I popped in and gave them my CV, lol let’s hope someone gets back to me
fluffypoopies
Rep:
(Original post by Noble.x)
You can develop your own projects: software, mobile apps, websites and also contribute on open source projects (for work experience)

If you are interested more in the finance side of maths then look at any Banks, or even any company really and ask to have a work exp in the finance department then maybe you’ll get actual work from them?

Download the kalendit app where you can work in nurseries. I don’t know if you’d want that. How about stewards jobs? +447767 612355 it’s a company that’ll help get you a steward job depending on where you live but I think they’re London based
Thank you so much for these suggestions!! I think once I start my degree, I’ll try looking into more Cs/maths related jobs but for now I’m going to search around part time retail/food jobs
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago

Try agencies. Especially if you want temporary stuff.
Theres a lot of agencies offering warehouse jobs if you dont mind working in a warehouse over the summer.
SkellyOcho
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Can you tell me some agencies please
Paigeypopsrocks
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How’d the McDonald’s interview go Sofia! I have one in a few days you got an tips?
Last edited by Paigeypopsrocks; 1 month ago
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Contact local recruitment agencies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (54)
70.13%
In the post (3)
3.9%
Text (10)
12.99%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
12.99%

Watched Threads