Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am correct in thinking that you have 5 years to obtain pupillage having completed the BVC before it becomes out of date? I've done a few searches-I could not find the info. on the official bar council site (which no doubt somebody will make fun/you are so nice on here :nah: )

ReputationRep:
    It is five years, with a number of exceptions (wide and discretionary per application to Bar Council--mostly if you were in legal employment during that period).

ReputationRep:
    OK, cool- well after all my 'degrees' I should not put off pupillage any more, however, I was wondering where this information is written down. I talked about it the other day because a chap on my M.Phil did the BVC two years ago and he is struggling to get a pupillage with a 2.1 from Cambridge and worried about the clock ticking.

ReputationRep:
    I recall coming across the information when doing research on the solicitor--> barrister route; if I could still recall where it was located, I would naturally have cited it. However, I do recall being satisfied as to its reliability at the time.

ReputationRep:
    You could always email the bar council/bar standards board so you know the answer is definitely correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil_Genius)
    I recall coming across the information when doing research on the solicitor--> barrister route; if I could still recall where it was located, I would naturally have cited it. However, I do recall being satisfied as to its reliability at the time.
    No problems- I am pretty confident that you are right anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Narcissus)
    No problems- I am pretty confident that you are right anyway
    Loving the idea that BVC students have a "best before" date. On successful completion of the course do you get stamped with a date five years hence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    Loving the idea that BVC students have a "best before" date. On successful completion of the course do you get stamped with a date five years hence?
    Nah, "best before" can be used after the date. What the bar has is a "use by" :p:

ReputationRep:
    We wish we did, that way my friend on my course at Cam would know how much time he has left to get a pupillage... :o:

ReputationRep:
    Good point. Perhaps the more sophisticated chambers have a barcode scanner and check the age of their potential pupils?

Clerk: *Bleeeeep* "Sorry Mr Pollock, I'm afraid this one's gone off"

Gordon Pollock QC (for it is he): "Hmmm, can't we just scrape the mould off?"

Clerk: "Not really, sir. Once they're past their use-by date they're completely useless."

ReputationRep:
    Good point. Perhaps the more sophisticated chambers have a barcode scanner and check the age of their potential pupils?

Clerk: *Bleeeeep* "Sorry Mr Pollock, I'm afraid this one's gone off"

Gordon Pollock QC (for it is he): "Hmmm, can't we just scrape the mould off?"

Clerk: "Not really, sir. Once they're past their use-by date they're completely useless."
    "Counsel is instructed to complete the brief before Counsel's use by date has expired. Counsel is further instructed to JFDI :mad:"

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic I feel as though I am investing £13,000 in the academic equivalent of a melting ice lolly.

How many people expire (*shudder*) without a Pupillage?

ReputationRep:
    If using stats from BVC:Pupillage ratios, the vast majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    Fantastic I feel as though I am investing £13,000 in the academic equivalent of a melting ice lolly.

How many people expire (*shudder*) without a Pupillage?
    I know, its enough to make you want to study outside London where it costs more like £9000

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.