Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am correct in thinking that you have 5 years to obtain pupillage having completed the BVC before it becomes out of date? I've done a few searches-I could not find the info. on the official bar council site (which no doubt somebody will make fun/you are so nice on here :nah: )

ReputationRep:
    It is five years, with a number of exceptions (wide and discretionary per application to Bar Council--mostly if you were in legal employment during that period).

ReputationRep:
    OK, cool- well after all my 'degrees' I should not put off pupillage any more, however, I was wondering where this information is written down. I talked about it the other day because a chap on my M.Phil did the BVC two years ago and he is struggling to get a pupillage with a 2.1 from Cambridge and worried about the clock ticking.

ReputationRep:
    I recall coming across the information when doing research on the solicitor--> barrister route; if I could still recall where it was located, I would naturally have cited it. However, I do recall being satisfied as to its reliability at the time.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You could always email the bar council/bar standards board so you know the answer is definitely correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil_Genius)
    I recall coming across the information when doing research on the solicitor--> barrister route; if I could still recall where it was located, I would naturally have cited it. However, I do recall being satisfied as to its reliability at the time.
    No problems- I am pretty confident that you are right anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Narcissus)
    No problems- I am pretty confident that you are right anyway
    Loving the idea that BVC students have a "best before" date. On successful completion of the course do you get stamped with a date five years hence?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by chalks)
    Loving the idea that BVC students have a "best before" date. On successful completion of the course do you get stamped with a date five years hence?
    Nah, "best before" can be used after the date. What the bar has is a "use by" :p:

ReputationRep:
    We wish we did, that way my friend on my course at Cam would know how much time he has left to get a pupillage... :o:

ReputationRep:
    Good point. Perhaps the more sophisticated chambers have a barcode scanner and check the age of their potential pupils?

Clerk: *Bleeeeep* "Sorry Mr Pollock, I'm afraid this one's gone off"

Gordon Pollock QC (for it is he): "Hmmm, can't we just scrape the mould off?"

Clerk: "Not really, sir. Once they're past their use-by date they're completely useless."
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Good point. Perhaps the more sophisticated chambers have a barcode scanner and check the age of their potential pupils?

Clerk: *Bleeeeep* "Sorry Mr Pollock, I'm afraid this one's gone off"

Gordon Pollock QC (for it is he): "Hmmm, can't we just scrape the mould off?"

Clerk: "Not really, sir. Once they're past their use-by date they're completely useless."
    "Counsel is instructed to complete the brief before Counsel's use by date has expired. Counsel is further instructed to JFDI :mad:"

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic I feel as though I am investing £13,000 in the academic equivalent of a melting ice lolly.

How many people expire (*shudder*) without a Pupillage?

ReputationRep:
    If using stats from BVC:Pupillage ratios, the vast majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    Fantastic I feel as though I am investing £13,000 in the academic equivalent of a melting ice lolly.

How many people expire (*shudder*) without a Pupillage?
    I know, its enough to make you want to study outside London where it costs more like £9000

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.