Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm applying to some sixth forms and colleges, but just wanted to know what the deal is with CoFE 6th forms. I'm not a Christian (I haven't been baptized or anything) and was wondering whether they accept non-Christian types. I know that Catholic schools are extremely picky and only accept Catholics, but is this applied to CoFE sixth forms?

Thanks
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I don't know about sixth forms but I went to a Church of England secondary school, and one of my friends joined during year nine... apparently she had to bring a form from a church where she lived previously so that she was allowed to enrol. You'd be better off asking the school about their policy for non-Christians or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a CofE sixth form and they're very mixed than they would be in the main school. CofE sixth forms, in my experience, are not picky at all. It does depend on the policy though, contact them on their entry requrements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I don't know about sixth forms but I went to a Church of England secondary school, and one of my friends joined during year nine... apparently she had to bring a form from a church where she lived previously so that she was allowed to enrol. You'd be better off asking the school about their policy for non-Christians or whatever.
    was this a state school?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by gamer91)
    was this a state school?
    Yeah it was.

ReputationRep:
    Problem is the main schoolls tend to be a lot more selective, however at sixth form..all the catholic sixth forms and christian sixth form in my areas are not picky at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Yeah it was.
    I thought that religious state schools weren't allowed to discriminate over religion, it just means that they practice it at that school.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by gamer91)
    I thought that religious state schools weren't allowed to discriminate over religion, it just means that they practice it at that school.
    I have no idea - I wasn't asked for any papers or anything when I enrolled, but my friend was when she joined in year 9. *Shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    I used to go to a Catholic school and they chose baptised Catholics first (requested note from priest), other christians and then non-Christians. So, they are probably going to favour christians first but I'm sure you'll be fine. as others have said, CofE schools seem to be less picky. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNamelessGrace)
    Hey,

I'm applying to some sixth forms and colleges, but just wanted to know what the deal is with CoFE 6th forms. I'm not a Christian (I haven't been baptized or anything) and was wondering whether they accept non-Christian types. I know that Catholic schools are extremely picky and only accept Catholics, but is this applied to CoFE sixth forms?

Thanks
    I went to a Church of England School in the centre of London for sixth form. I'm not a christian either.
    As other people have said, they are generally more selective. I think around 40% were "External" students in the 6th form and quite a lot weren't people who attended church. I had a formal interview for mine, and you had to be predicted high GCSE grades to get in- I think the minimum was 5 Bs. Unfortunately at mine you had to attend all church services which happened twice a term in Westminster abbey. If you failed to turn up, you'd have to do "community service"- which is a bit crap. And they can be quite strict- like in mine you weren't allowed to smoke within a kilometre around the school. I got caught once and had to do a day of community service.
    But academically they are very good for the mostpart.

ReputationRep:
    My college is Catholic. And it's common knowledge they favour the Catholic high school round the corner. But I'm a christened protestant [I'm not religious at all really] and I had no problems being accepted. But if they limited it to just catholic students going, it wouldn't be full now would it? :p: As for what it's like in college, they say they promote 'catholic values', which I don't exactly know what it means, but there's a chaplaincy and they have mass and that sometimes, of course, none of it is complusary. It doesn't bother me at all to be honest, I definitely made the right choice of college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNamelessGrace)
    Hey,

I know that Catholic schools are extremely picky and only accept Catholics, but is this applied to CoFE sixth forms?

Thanks
    Well you know wrong. I go to a catholic sixth form and I'm only c of e. There's also atheists and one muslim! Just in the interview you've gotta say you'll respect the ethos and understand it is actually a c of e/catholic school.

The sixth form bit in a school is a lot less 'picky' than the main school. This is because they look at your grades and personality. Not just your religion.

However for both Christian and Catholic schools, if you have boderline grades and they are oversubscribed the people who take priority are those who are of the faith (and those in care)

Don't worry and go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foundintransmission)
    My college is Catholic. And it's common knowledge they favour the Catholic high school round the corner. But I'm a christened protestant [I'm not religious at all really] and I had no problems being accepted. But if they limited it to just catholic students going, it wouldn't be full now would it? :p: As for what it's like in college, they say they promote 'catholic values', which I don't exactly know what it means, but there's a chaplaincy and they have mass and that sometimes, of course, none of it is complusary. It doesn't bother me at all to be honest, I definitely made the right choice of college.

But the OP is asking about Church of England schools- which would have different policy to a catholic school. I have friends who were at Catholic school and I think they are generally more strict about their intake than Church of England schools. Like I had openly muslim girls who were at my Chruch oif England school.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a church of england secondary school and they have a 6th form but the 6the form bit wasn't religious, well we took part in whole school religious ceromonies but that was it. The people who joined weren't religious at all and they didn't take religion into account as far as i know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Well you know wrong. I go to a catholic sixth form and I'm only c of e. There's also atheists and one muslim! Just in the interview you've gotta say you'll respect the ethos and understand it is actually a c of e/catholic school.

The sixth form bit in a school is a lot less 'picky' than the main school. This is because they look at your grades and personality. Not just your religion.

However for both Christian and Catholic schools, if you have boderline grades and they are oversubscribed the people who take priority are those who are of the faith (and those in care)

Don't worry and go for it!

That's interesting what you say there. I had lots of friends who went to Catholic schools before 6th form, and they said that their schools were a lot more strict in terms of intake than our (CofE) school.
    But I guess it must depend on the school really- I suppose it varies

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to a catholic sixth form college, they say they don't select on the basis of religion, but they'd have to say that, wouldn't they? I'm an atheist but I was baptised, so I could get away with pretending to be christian (although I really wouldn't want to, I'm a bit dawkins-esque in my atheism :p:) So do you think it'd disadvantage me if I said I was an atheist? (I obviously won't rant about it in my personal statement or anything, just that they ask for your religion on the application form).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I go to sixth form at a CofE School up north. I went to a normal comprehensive state school for years 7 to 11. About a quarter of the intake is external, and no preference for Christians was mentioned (the town is very multicultural though). Nothing about church was on the application form, and nobody asked me anything about it (I'm not a christian, I've never been to church, I've never been baptised etc). Other new people included Muslims, Catholics and Hindus.

School life is pretty religious compared to my old school - we have communions 3 times a year (the bread and wine is optional though), we have one school assembly a fortnight which always somehow involves god, as do house assemblies, but sixth form assemblies are secular. I'd deffo recommend it though, the schools not amazing academically (but its better than any of the local colleges), but everyone is really nice - the school doesn't really have any bad kids - dreadful as it sounds, I assume this stems from the initial intake selection. Also, contrary to what everyone said at my old school, it is better for university - I'll invariably get better grades, the freedom experienced at a college probably is closer to university life, but I moved to a school where I didn't really know anyone, and it's miles from home (about 45 mins on the school bus).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fillette)
    But the OP is asking about Church of England schools- which would have different policy to a catholic school. I have friends who were at Catholic school and I think they are generally more strict about their intake than Church of England schools. Like I had openly muslim girls who were at my Chruch oif England school.
    I know that's what the OP is asking, but as I thought as catholic schools/colleges tend to be more strict about these things I thought it still might be useful to share my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fillette)
    That's interesting what you say there. I had lots of friends who went to Catholic schools before 6th form, and they said that their schools were a lot more strict in terms of intake than our (CofE) school.
    But I guess it must depend on the school really- I suppose it varies
    As in < year 11? That's because they don't have any substantial results (like GCSE's) to base their points on. Also they've gotta be strict, otherwise why would it be called a Catholic school.

Having said that, yeah it probably does vary but that's my experience with the one's in east Havering

Edit: London :P

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.