Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the English Language AQA GCSE Paper 2 exam tomorrow, after doing Paper 1 last Wednesday. I'm trying to research what the recent questions were about the poems and Section B, so I kind of figure what sort(s) they may ask about, at least for the first part anyway.

Did anyone do the exam in June? And if so, do you remember what the questions were? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, we're going back over two years, but I think I can help.

You'll have a question on multicultural poems, two of which you have to compare, if I remember rightly. The poems will be on your Anthology and you will have studied all of the poems from a certain cluster.
    The second question will be a question which asks you to describe or persuade, by writing a letter or an information article.

Edit: I seem to remember the first question being Compare the ways people are presented in Vultures with the ways people are
    presented in one other poem

ReputationRep:
    sorry but it will be impossible to guess the question tomorrow.
    all i know is that it wont be these ones (arrow point down)

[these are from all the previous papers since june 2004]

CLUSTER 1:

1)Compare the ways in which the poets explore the connections between the past and the present in What Were They Like? and one other poem.

2)Compare the ways an event is described in Blessing with the ways an event is described in one other poem.

3)The titles poets give to their poems can often be important. Write about Nothing's Changed and one other poem. Compare the ways the poets use the titles in these poems.

4)Compare the methods Denise Levertov uses to present a particular culture in What Were They Like? with the methods another poet uses to present a culture or cultures in one other poem.

5)Compare the methods poets use to have an impact on their readers in Limbo and in one other poem.

6)Compare the ways people are presented in Vultures with the ways people are presented in one other poem.

7)How does the poet create an image of a place in Night of the Scorpion Compare this with the way an image of a place is created in one other poem.

ClUSTER 2:

1)Compare the methods the poets use to bring out meaning in Not My Business and one other poem.

2)Compare the methods the poets use to explore the connection between people and the places in which they live in Hurricane Hits England and one other poem.

3)Compare the ways the poet presents a particular culture in Not my Business with the ways a poet presents a culture or cultures in one other poem.

4)How does Sujata Bhatt show that identity is important in from Search For My Tongue? Compare the methods she uses with the methods another poet uses to show that identity is important in one other poem.

5)Compare how a person's culture is shown to be important in Hurricane Hits England and in one other poem.

6)Compare how imagery is used to present ideas and feelings in This Room’ and one other poem.

7)Compare the methods the poets use to get across their points of view in Half-Caste and in one other poem.#

EDIT: (in june 2008 cluster 1, the question was for two scavengers in a truck.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I was wondering about the June 2008 exams because I wanted to know what the 2nd question was - I heard it was "Search for My Tongue" but needed confirmation.

I already knew most of the above.

ReputationRep:
    yes it was defintely "search for my tongue"!

ReputationRep:
    It was! Great, thanks. I don't think it'll be that that you have to compare now - crossing my fingers for Presents from my Aunts in Pakistan!

ReputationRep:
    for cluster 1 im predicting: island man or nothing's changed

ReputationRep:
    I heard Nothing's Changed is the easiest of the two; we briefly summarised it the other day (even though we aren't doing it!).
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Island man is really easy and fun to do, I compared it in June 08 to Two Scavs.
    Good luck, and write as much as you can!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=498976

I posted a few things in here during my exams in the summer. They may help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piece_by_piece)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=498976

I posted a few things in here during my exams in the summer. They may help!
    thx may i ask wot grade u got for this course?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I got an A*.

ReputationRep:
    congrats, i can understand why!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god im actually quite scared about tomorows exam ive just come back from a party & im exhausted & cant be assed revising maaaan even though i am, the BBC Bitesize website is really helpfull

ReputationRep:
    I did it this morning - it wasn't too bad actually, in fact, I think I did better on Paper 2 than Paper 1. I chose to do compare Hurricane Hits England to Presents from my Aunts in Pakistan and wrote the letter to the Prime Minister (up to the exam, I was sure I was going to do describe, but feel much better doing the other). Thanks for all your help! Now we wait for the Literature exam in June.

ReputationRep:
    Yeey i found it quite alright too, i chose to compare "What were they like to" "Nothings changed" ..... & for section B i chose writing a letter to the prime minister & i had alot to say
    Hope all went well people

ReputationRep:
    you could compare what were they like with any poem i thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage <3)
    Yeey i found it quite alright too, i chose to compare "What were they like to" "Nothings changed" ..... & for section B i chose writing a letter to the prime minister & i had alot to say
    Hope all went well people
    Yes! I am glad someone compared What were they like to Nothing's Changed!I did! :p:

I didn't really revise what were they like as its come up 2 times already i didn't think it would come up again! but it did!

I thought the paper was ok. much better that Paper 1!

I was going to compare it to Island Man but there is so muc more to talk about with N-Changed! Good Luck with your results, I am hoping for a B!

I did the describe question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.