Countdown to global catastrophe Watch

This discussion is closed.
Douglas
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
This (My) post has been heavily edited by the new mod, thus altering the intended impact.

This is a "first" in my 900+ posts. Thus, it was appropriate that I delete it.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Douglas)
Is this real? Or just more of the environmental whacko Al Gore type of cockamamie bullshlt.??
I'd take iT with a pinch of salt. All in all I'd say that the environmentalists have a tracke record for accurate prediction surpassed only by Nostradamus. Snake oil salesmen IMVHO.
bilb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would look at the effect the story is trying to have. The fact it was broadcast about now, is nowhere near coincidence. G8 this summer, with uk playing the role of host. Maybe i'm cynical, but I think they'll shove something a (tiny) step in the right direction, but nothing substantial. Ah well, raise the public support for it and should happen...if we live in a democracy of course.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Douglas)
Is this real? Or just more of the environmental scaremongering?
Realistically, the problem of global warming or anything environmental is hyped up to massive proportions by environmentalists so people will actually listen. If they came and said "well theres a slight problem" nobody would care...so I would take anything from the environmental editor and his environmentalist sources with a pinch of salt.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=corey]If they came and said "well theres a slight problem" nobody would care..........QUOTE]

And they'd all find themselves out of a job. Same with race relations; what would all these race relation people do with their time if it suddenly came out that "erm.....racism is falling, there's not that much about anymore, people are becoming more tolerent.....blah, blah, blah" That would be an abosolute disaster for the 1000's who make a nice living working in the race relations industry.
spin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Realistically, the problem of global warming or anything environmental is hyped up to massive proportions by environmentalists so people will actually listen. If they came and said "well theres a slight problem" nobody would care...so I would take anything from the environmental editor and his environmentalist sources with a pinch of salt.
Mm, very true... and yet I think that even a "slight problem" should really be dealt with as though it's a large problem considering we kinda need this planet to survive. (In terms of urgency anyway)

I really think we should invest time and money into looking at alternative forms of power etc to put the breaks on this a bit, incase they just happen to be right.
nabso
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Stop annihilating environmentalists! take them seriously! i'm not an environmentalist, but it doesn't take a genius to show that the world's climate is changing, and affecting the world as we know it. i only heard today, on newsround (!), that mount everest is shown to be shrinking!! that sux
and yes we should invest in trying to find alternative safer fuels - but already alternative fuels have been found..for example nuclear, HEP, wind-generated power..but these forms of power are more costly than the dangerous fuels available, and seeing as (importantly), BUSINESSMEN RULE THE WORLD, towards the cause of maximising profits and gain, our humble planet earth suffers.
and stop deforesting, and stop burning trees.
and stop using cars and cycle or use public transport - they mess up the world too..unless you have an uber car, like a porsche, your excused.
:mad:
Agent Smith
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The problem is that the public face of environmentalism can be summed up thus:

Wackos.

Unfortunately, this particular group of wackos have a serious point to make, and their prophecies will eventually come true. It's basic science. It won't happen as soon as they say, of course, because they're wackos. That Mt Everest stuff is stupid anyway: it would affect other mountains first, while Mt Everst, up there in the coldest highest-altitude air of any mountain in the world, would be the last to know. But sooner or later the oil will run out, the deserts will spread and the ice caps will melt. And the West will only react when our cars stop working.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (0)
0%
They might tell the bully (0)
0%
I don't think they'd understand (0)
0%
It might lead to more bullying (0)
0%
There's nothing they could do (0)
0%

Watched Threads