The Student Room Group

Conpletely messed up my ucas choices

I never really wanted to go to my firm in the first place but gave in to external pressure, particularly as my college has paid the fee for my admissions test.
Essentially, I want to swap my firm and insurance, but as my firm has higher grade requirements than my insurance I won't really have a back up. Given that my insurance was my firm, as I wanted, I'd have chosen one of my other 5 offers as my insurance, but obviously now that's been declined. Is there any way I can swap my firm and insurance around and call up the uni I rejected and ask if there's any space left on the course so I can put them down as my insurance? (A massive, cheeky ask, I know) Or just swap my firm and then decline my insurance?

If I can't then I can't. I know it's all my fault so please don't berate me. It's so hard to deal with the pressure when everyone is telling you what to do and where to go and completely ignoring your wishes in favour of bragging rights. I know I've messed up and I probably won't be able to fix things but I'm desperately miserable at this point and honestly don't know what else to do.
Ring ucas on Monday and ask to swap your replies.

Explain what you want as your new firm and insurance and ucas will explain if you need to get the agreement from any of the three universities (most universities give ucas agreement to all swaps in advance)
I completely understand feeling pressured in that way, so don’t worry. You’re not alone in giving in!

How long ago did you pick your firm and insurance? If it’s been less than 14 days, just call UCAS and they will change it for you.

If it’s been more than 14 days, you will need to contact the uni you want to firm to ask if they are happy to let you switch, and also the uni you have already firmed to ask if they’ll release you. Once they have both agreed, you’ll need to ring UCAS.

Don’t worry about coming across as cheeky. Unis are used to dealing with this kind of stuff all the time. People ask to switch right up until the start of the course! You’re still fairly early. The deadline to respond hasn’t even passed yet. I really hope it works out for you and you get to go to your uni of choice. Best of luck!
Original post by micholate9
I completely understand feeling pressured in that way, so don’t worry. You’re not alone in giving in!

How long ago did you pick your firm and insurance? If it’s been less than 14 days, just call UCAS and they will change it for you.

If it’s been more than 14 days, you will need to contact the uni you want to firm to ask if they are happy to let you switch, and also the uni you have already firmed to ask if they’ll release you. Once they have both agreed, you’ll need to ring UCAS.

Don’t worry about coming across as cheeky. Unis are used to dealing with this kind of stuff all the time. People ask to switch right up until the start of the course! You’re still fairly early. The deadline to respond hasn’t even passed yet. I really hope it works out for you and you get to go to your uni of choice. Best of luck!

Ucas now allow universities to blanket approve reply swaps after 14 days.
Since this started last year then applicants wanting to swap replies should ring UCAS FIRST and only contact their universities is ucas haven’t got approval to swap their replies from the university.
Original post by PQ
Ring ucas on Monday and ask to swap your replies.

Explain what you want as your new firm and insurance and ucas will explain if you need to get the agreement from any of the three universities (most universities give ucas agreement to all swaps in advance)

Thank you so much. I'll call ucas first to check exactly what to do, the last thing I want is to lose all of my offers.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by micholate9

Thank you so much for your lovely comment, I was so worried that people would butcher me because I was messing my choices around, haha. It has been longer than 14 days unfortunately but I think I'll call UCAS first anyway, just to be sure of what to do. Thanks again.
Hi! I’m in the exact same boat as you. I want to swap my unis around but It’s been well over 14 days since replying, can I ask if you’ve rung up yet? What have they said to you?
Original post by anonymous1901190
Hi! I’m in the exact same boat as you. I want to swap my unis around but It’s been well over 14 days since replying, can I ask if you’ve rung up yet? What have they said to you?

Mine was over 14 days too. The decision deadline was today (9th) so I'm not sure if that'll affect things, but I rang UCAS and they were really lovely and accommodating. I have to get permission off of one of my unis to swap as they don't give UCAS "pre-approved permission" to make the swap (some do, some don't, it depends on the uni) so I'm waiting for an email off them, and my other two choices have agreed to the swap so now I have a completely different firm and insurance. I'm very, very happy so I'd definitely say it's worth a shot!
Original post by Indililam1
Mine was over 14 days too. The decision deadline was today (9th) so I'm not sure if that'll affect things, but I rang UCAS and they were really lovely and accommodating. I have to get permission off of one of my unis to swap as they don't give UCAS "pre-approved permission" to make the swap (some do, some don't, it depends on the uni) so I'm waiting for an email off them, and my other two choices have agreed to the swap so now I have a completely different firm and insurance. I'm very, very happy so I'd definitely say it's worth a shot!

Thank you this was so helpful! I’m gonna email my unis and ask for them to swap. Did u have to give a reason? And what type of thing did u say in ur email to the unis?
Thank you this was so helpful! I’m gonna email my unis and ask for them to swap. Did u have to give a reason? And what type of thing did u say in ur email to the unis?

You don’t have to email your universities unless ucas say they need you to do that when you ring.

rring UCAS FIRST. They’ll tell you if they need you to also contact your universities.
Original post by PQ
You don’t have to email your universities unless ucas say they need you to do that when you ring.

rring UCAS FIRST. They’ll tell you if they need you to also contact your universities.

Got it. Thank you!
Got it. Thank you!

what can i do if i need to swap between firm and insurance but its past the deadline ???any hope??
Original post by soaosaoid
what can i do if i need to swap between firm and insurance but its past the deadline ???any hope??

I’ve replied on your other thread.

just ring your insurance on Monday and speak to them. It’s at their discretion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending