Career prospects for a History degree?

Watch this thread
usagikuma
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Can anyone who has a degree (ug/pg) in History share what you are doing now? Can a History graduate be a curator in museums? Or only students with a Curating or Museum Practice degree are eligible to be curators?
ToGodly
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
I think you can with a history degree
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by usagikuma)
Can anyone who has a degree (ug/pg) in History share what you are doing now? Can a History graduate be a curator in museums? Or only students with a Curating or Museum Practice degree are eligible to be curators?
Hi usagikuma

Though I only finished my degree a few weeks ago so have not yet looked at jobs, I believe that a history degree opens so many doors. Though I'm not sure which of these degrees is more beneficial to get into curating, both could be good routes. Even if you do a history undergraduate degree, you can always complete a Masters in something like Curating which could help you into that career path too.

I'd say, if you know what job you want right now, look around universities and talk to lecturers (some of them may have been curators previously) and museums (if possible) and try to work out which option is the best for you.

The one thing I would say though is that history could open more doors if you're not 100% sure what you want to do after your degree.

I hope this helps but feel free to ask any more questions you have and I'll be happy to help.

Daisy (third-year History official rep)
www.southampton.ac.uk
EdgeHillStudents
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi usagikuma

I
completed my History degree last year and I am currently studying for a Masters with a PhD lined up for October, but I have volunteered in Museums since I was 16. My friends who graduated at the same time as me all with History degrees do a variety of jobs, some have gone on to teacher training, others work for local councils, some work in politics, and museum, archive and curating work is certainly a viable option! There are many roles within a museum setting which History graduates would be very suited for, you would have to look at specific places as to whether they would require a Museum Studies Masters in order to progress to curating, usually curators would need museum experience before being promoted to that role, so you might wish to look at roles such as conservationist, museum assistants, archivist etc. first or you could do the Masters you suggested. This would be a stepping stone in your career until you have the experience to become a curator.

I hope this helps, best of luck!

Grace
BA History
MA Nineteenth Century Studies (History and English Literature)
usagikuma
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi usagikuma

Though I only finished my degree a few weeks ago so have not yet looked at jobs, I believe that a history degree opens so many doors. Though I'm not sure which of these degrees is more beneficial to get into curating, both could be good routes. Even if you do a history undergraduate degree, you can always complete a Masters in something like Curating which could help you into that career path too.

I'd say, if you know what job you want right now, look around universities and talk to lecturers (some of them may have been curators previously) and museums (if possible) and try to work out which option is the best for you.

The one thing I would say though is that history could open more doors if you're not 100% sure what you want to do after your degree.

I hope this helps but feel free to ask any more questions you have and I'll be happy to help.

Daisy (third-year History official rep)
www.southampton.ac.uk
Thank you for your reply. Actually I have got an offer on MA History already. I applied for MA History because I am interested in History and I think Humanities subjects can benefit me intellectually and spiritually. But after I got the offer, I started to think about the realistic concerns such as employability...Also, I will not be able to afford to study any more after completing the Masters degree. Can you suggest some jobs that a History graduate (only with MA History but not further studies) can possibly get?
usagikuma
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by EdgeHillStudents)
Hi usagikuma

I
completed my History degree last year and I am currently studying for a Masters with a PhD lined up for October, but I have volunteered in Museums since I was 16. My friends who graduated at the same time as me all with History degrees do a variety of jobs, some have gone on to teacher training, others work for local councils, some work in politics, and museum, archive and curating work is certainly a viable option! There are many roles within a museum setting which History graduates would be very suited for, you would have to look at specific places as to whether they would require a Museum Studies Masters in order to progress to curating, usually curators would need museum experience before being promoted to that role, so you might wish to look at roles such as conservationist, museum assistants, archivist etc. first or you could do the Masters you suggested. This would be a stepping stone in your career until you have the experience to become a curator.

I hope this helps, best of luck!

Grace
BA History
MA Nineteenth Century Studies (History and English Literature)
Thank you for your reply. I have searched for volunteering opportunities on the websites of some museums in London such as the British Museum but there haven't been any openings for the past few months...
oswalds
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your reply. I have searched for volunteering opportunities on the websites of some museums in London such as the British Museum but there haven't been any openings for the past few months...
I'd recommend looking for volunteering opportunities in smaller museums - they're more likely to be open to volunteers, you'll get more opportunities to interact directly with staff and visitors and you'll probably get to involve yourself in more areas of the museum if they have fewer volunteers and staff. I volunteered at a very small independant museum and was offered a job as a result when I finished my MA in a specific area of history. I stayed in this job for about a year and a half before starting a PhD.
Uni of Southampton Students
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your reply. Actually I have got an offer on MA History already. I applied for MA History because I am interested in History and I think Humanities subjects can benefit me intellectually and spiritually. But after I got the offer, I started to think about the realistic concerns such as employability...Also, I will not be able to afford to study any more after completing the Masters degree. Can you suggest some jobs that a History graduate (only with MA History but not further studies) can possibly get?
Hi usagikuma

I'm honestly not 100% sure on what jobs specifically as I have only looked at what I can do with an undergrad degree but I imagine it would probably depend on the role and company.

I think a job in museums would be possible with an MA but you'd probably be unlikely to do something like academic research/lecturing without a PhD. However, as I said, I am not 100% sure, and this is just based on what I've heard from fellow students/lecturers but I'm sure someone else on this forum would be able to provide a more concrete answer.

Daisy (an official third-year History rep)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (19)
17.27%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (29)
26.36%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (58)
52.73%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.64%

Watched Threads