Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transferring money between different banks? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have a couple of saving and current accounts with different banks, however I can only seemingly transfer funds online between saving and current accounts withing the same bank (i.e Barclays saving to Barclays current account not Barclays saving to HSBC current for example).

What is the easiest way to transfer money, the problem is the town I live in doesn't have many of the branches there so I can't just go into town and take out X amount from bank X and deposit in bank Z.

Anyhelp will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You can transfer money to any account with online banking; you just need the account number and sort code of the account you want to transfer it to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mokert23)
    Hi

I have a couple of saving and current accounts with different banks, however I can only seemingly transfer funds online between saving and current accounts withing the same bank (i.e Barclays saving to Barclays current account not Barclays saving to HSBC current for example).

What is the easiest way to transfer money, the problem is the town I live in doesn't have many of the branches there so I can't just go into town and take out X amount from bank X and deposit in bank Z.

Anyhelp will be appreciated.
    You could set up a standing order, or make a one off payment. Both options should be available on your online banking interface.

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to find the option on the online banking for transfering money from a bank to a different bank.

ReputationRep:
    Yup as others have said you should be able to do it online through online banking,or if for some reason you can't then telephone banking maybe the other option.

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    It kind of depends on the particular accounts and so forth. Any current account will let you transfer money to any other account by providing the sort code and account number (it might be called a "bill payment" or "single payment"), and you will be able to do this via online banking, telephone banking, or in branch.

If you have a chequebook, you can write yourself a cheque from the source account and pay it in to the destination account (although this will probably take longer to clear and be more hassle).

Savings accounts might be different - some savings accounts might require you to transfer the money into a current account with that bank before transferring it out, others might be at banks that you don't have a current account with... So you might have to go Barclays savings -> Barclays current -> HSBC current.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mokert23)
    I can't seem to find the option on the online banking for transfering money from a bank to a different bank.
    "make a payment" or something similar.

ReputationRep:
    From what I can tell, there's a section on the Barclays web site called "Pay a bill or someone" which is what you want.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.