The Student Room Group

UCAS Application help?

Hi guys!

I am 22 and have decided I would like to go back into study at university. I didn't realise how difficult a UCAS form could be without teachers support!

Since leaving college I have attained a Level 2 and Level 3 RQF qualification in Children's Learning and Development, but I am unsure how to apply this onto my UCAS application.
I did these qualifications when I left college as I didn't get as high grades as I was predicted and I am now panicking that I have wasted time on qualifications that are not university eligible.

If anybody could help me out I would be immensely grateful !!

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Do you have the certificates for these qualifications, to establish exactly what they are?

You mention RFQ which is a useful clue, as it implies we're talking about BTECs. Are we?

Your level 2 qualification might be a BTEC First or a BTEC Technical:
"Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Children’s Play, Learning and Development" (specification here),
"Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Certificate in Children’s Play, Learning and Development (specification here),
"BTEC Level 2 Technical Diploma in Children's Play, Learning and Development (Early Years Assistant)" (specification here), or
"BTEC Level 2 Technical Diploma in Children's Play, Learning and Development (Early Years Practitioner)" (specification here).

Your level 3 qualification might be one of these:
"BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Children’s Play, Learning and Development" (specification here),
"BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Children’s Play, Learning and Development" (specification here),
"BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Children’s Play, Learning and Development" (specification here), or
"BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Children’s Play, Learning and Development" (specification here).

Once you're worked out what qualifications you have, I suspect you'll find it easier to locate them on the UCAS form.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Do you have the certificates for these qualifications, to establish exactly what they are?

You mention RFQ which is a useful clue, as it implies we're talking about BTECs. Are we?

Your level 2 qualification might be a BTEC First or a BTEC Technical:
"Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Children’s Play, Learning and Development" (specification here),
"Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Certificate in Children’s Play, Learning and Development (specification here),
"BTEC Level 2 Technical Diploma in Children's Play, Learning and Development (Early Years Assistant)" (specification here), or
"BTEC Level 2 Technical Diploma in Children's Play, Learning and Development (Early Years Practitioner)" (specification here).

Your level 3 qualification might be one of these:
"BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Children’s Play, Learning and Development" (specification here),
"BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Children’s Play, Learning and Development" (specification here),
"BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Children’s Play, Learning and Development" (specification here), or
"BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Children’s Play, Learning and Development" (specification here).

Once you're worked out what qualifications you have, I suspect you'll find it easier to locate them on the UCAS form.

Thanks for your response!

I gained these qualifications through an apprenticeship, so I had assumed they were NVQ Levels, but the certificate states "RQF".

The certificates state:
Level 2 Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce (RQF)
Level 3 Diploma in Children's learning and Development (Early Years Educator) (RQF)
NVQs? Interesting. That hadn't even occurred to me. Do universities accept NVQs? Have you checked the entry requirements for courses you're thinking of applying for?

I thought of BTECs when you mentioned RQF simply because many universities require different grades for RQF BTECs vs. QCF BTECs. Technically speaking, most current qualifications fall within the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF), so it's not really much of an indication of what the qualifications are.

Is there any chance that the Level 2 Certificate says "Council for Awards in Care, Health and Education" or CACHE anywhere on it? I ask as that awarding body has a qualification with exactly that name.

Pearson have an NVQ with exactly the same name as your Level 3 diploma (see here), so I think you might be right about them (or at least the Level 3 Diploma) being an NVQ.

Quick Reply

Latest