Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it harder to get a better degree at oxbridge? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious whether it is harder to get a better degree, i.e. a first at Oxbridge rather than somewhere like the red bricks.
    I know most of the time Oxbridge degrees mean more and are far more superior blah blah blah but that’s not what I’m asking.
    Oxbridge students are in theory 'better intellectually' ,etc etc, so they are more likely to do better… but what I’m asking is do Oxbridge make it harder to get a higher degree so to say. Not applying to Oxbridge just curious.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure but I heard ages ago that somehow its harder (not sure why, someone said cos of level of work but i'd have thought that'd have contributed more to a first) and that therefore a first elsewhere is equal to a 2:1 at Oxbridge. I'm not sure if this is true though...

ReputationRep:
    However, you could argue that Oxbridge teachers/lecturers/professors etc. are going to be largely better than elsewhere, and therefore you are much better prepared for the examination which will determine your degree

according to the times i think

getting a first at oxbridge is equivalent to getting a PhD at manchester

ReputationRep:
    My brother got a 2.1 at cambridge in Engineering. At the moment I'm on the boundary between 2.1 and 1st at Durham, and I'm not doing nearly as much work as he did. So yes, I'd say it's harder to get a certain classification at Oxbridge than elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    sorry (excuse my naivity if im wrong) but i thought that uni exams are created by the uni, they are not uniform (like a levels) and so its quite hard to compare degrees from different institutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    according to the times i think

You're not being serious, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dougiemacs)
    sorry (excuse my naivity if im wrong) but i thought that uni exams are created by the uni, they are not uniform (like a levels) and so its quite hard to compare degrees from different institutions.
    That's true, but there are many checks in place; such as accreditation bodies and universities checking over one another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    However, you could argue that Oxbridge teachers/lecturers/professors etc. are going to be largely better than elsewhere, and therefore you are much better prepared for the examination which will determine your degree
    :yep: My not extremely knowledgeable position would be that the exams are objectively harder, but teaching quality and resources are also of a greater standard -- thus I think that the playing field is perhaps more level than it at first appears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dougiemacs)
    very difficult.

additionally it's particularly hard to compare degrees between courses. history v Engineering, for example. History students can argue all they want, but just look at the percentage of engineers getting ~2:ii grades compared to history students, then ask each how many hours a week they put into their work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    They will be better but to some respects so will the students...so this would lead me to presume that their first is much harder to obtain...this would also be why they're so respected.
    In conclusion it is harder to get a high level degree at Oxbridge (even though all factors are better) than at other uni's. - this will be why they are so prestigous.
    shmerm gave a good example.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Bear in mind that it also depends on how the subject is marked. For Natural sciences at Cambridge, its marked via performance against peers. So say the top 25% get a First, the next 25% a 2:i etc (I cant remember the actual percentages but you get the idea.)

It means that its potentially possible for you to get 90% and get a third, providing everyone else got 92% or whatever. In the sense that these people are all really intelligent, it makes it harder for you to get a better grade as you literally competing with others for the best grades.

Many subjects don't work like that, but it certainly affects the results.

Edit: I certainly think its harder, but then again at one point I was working a 60 hour week just to fit everything in and still not getting through it all. You certainly cover a lot more than you do in other degrees, but in the same sort of depth, meaning there's much more to learn, which makes it harder. Its so subject dependent though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    I read lots of **** on TSR, but this could probably win an award for utter stupidity.

It's probably hard to get a first at Oxbridge, but well, getting a first is quite hard to get in general, isn't it? Students have a massive workload, but they have great teachers and great facilities (not that other universities don't, I would never change my Arabic grammar teacher for one from Oxbridge :suith:), and after all, I suppose that they also made a choice of going there, so it depends on how much they want to get this first and their motivation to get it. And of course, how much work they can provide to achieve it (see, I got two 1st in Russian so far, like half of my class. The other half failed the exams.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    marked via performance against peers. So say the top 25% get a First, the next 25% a 2:i etc (I cant remember the actual percentages but you get the idea.)

It means that its potentially possible for you to get 90% and get a third, providing everyone else got 92% or whatever. In the sense that these people are all really intelligent, it makes it harder for you to get a better grade as you literally competing with others for the best grades.
    Is this just at camebridge... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Bear in mind that it also depends on how the subject is marked. For Natural sciences at Cambridge, its marked via performance against peers. So say the top 25% get a First, the next 25% a 2:i etc (I cant remember the actual percentages but you get the idea.)

I think when my mum was at secondary school that's how the exam boards awarded grades. :p: It can mean it's either easier or harder to get the grade, depends on what level you're at proportionally. Not so great for comparing to other year groups though, as someone in the year above not as talented could get a better grade if the whole year wan't as good. :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by tomtom:))
    Is this just at camebridge... :eek:
    I have no idea. All I know is that NatSci at Cam is graded that way.

ReputationRep:
    Should be based on the individual, not who their against!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by im so academic)
    oxbridge is not all that, times!

:mad2:
    Changed our mind, then, have we?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    no offence to any uni made, it's just I'm outraged at how a Phd from manchester is equal to a 1st from oxbridge.
    How old are you, 15?

It isn't and anyone who thinks that a research degree can even be compared to an undergraduate degree is showing a profound lack of understanding of how higher education works.

ReputationRep:
    thank you. but how could the times post information like this if it isn't true?
    A poster on TSR saying 'according to the times i think' does not mean something was actually printed in the Times.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.