difference between biochemistry and biomedical science

Watch this thread
JA03
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
im just curious because I want something really chemistry-related because as weird as it sounds, I love mass spec and ir spec but to me, from my research, biochemistry and biomedical science seem the same
L.k30
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JA03)
im just curious because I want something really chemistry-related because as weird as it sounds, I love mass spec and ir spec but to me, from my research, biochemistry and biomedical science seem the same
A biomedical science degree that you learn about medical science and how it can be applied to medical research and treatment.
You'll learn about the body's normal functioning as well as how disease can develop when normal physiology is disrupted.
You'll also get hands-on experience in a lab, learning how to follow basic laboratory protocols and use common laboratory equipment. on the other hand, Biochemistry is a degree program that teaches students about the chemical processes that take place within living organisms.
You must study core modules such as genetics, cell biology, and molecular biology, which are similar to biomedical sciences.
However, because the focus is on biomolecules and their chemical interactions, there is a significant chemistry component to this degree.
The degree also emphasizes laboratory experience with a wide range of equipment for diagnosing samples, testing chemical components in a sample, creating biomolecules, and creating organic molecules using various chemical techniques.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JA03)
Hey JA03

It really depends on the university. I just finished my first year of biochemistry at Lancaster and from my research when applying, not all biochemistry degrees cover exactly the same modules. I'd recommend both comparing the modules of biochemistry and biomedical science at each university, but also comparing degrees between universities.

All biosciences do share some fundamental modules - especially in first year. I don't have experience of a biomedical science degree, but I think they often have modules on human physiology and diagnosis, which biochemistry degrees lack. Biochemistry tends to focus more on cellular and subcellular biology, and some degrees (like the one at Lancaster) give you the option to study a decent bit of chemistry in first year. I chose Lancaster for biochemistry because part of me really didn't want to give up chemistry or biology, so I looked for a degree that combined them (at least in first year - later in the degree it becomes more biology focused). I got to do 7/10 of the modules first year chemists did so I felt like I wasn't missing out.

I'll link the biomedical science and biochemistry degrees at Lancaster below as a comparison:
Biochemistry - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...bsc-hons-c700/
Biomedical science - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...bsc-hons-b990/

I hope I could help! Good luck in your choices!
Rebecca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (81)
66.39%
In the post (5)
4.1%
Text (16)
13.11%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (20)
16.39%

Watched Threads