Turn on thread page Beta

Enjoy The Silence cover/remix - opinions? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks and folksesses,

I have to make a cover of Enjoy The Silence solely in Synths (using cubase/VSTs). It's now finished and have had peers listen to it/pass judgement to help it improve. Could you peepz please take a listen and share some constructive criticism? I've changed the instrumentation and made it slightly heavier with a synth Slayer 2. I've also used the acapella vocal track from the original but since it's not for commercial use, that's ok.

Enjoy The Silence

Constructive criticism welcome, or just thoughts..

ReputationRep:
    A decent effort but could do with sounding more retro especially the drums need to sound harsher.

Relistened to Everything Counts the other day after a long time. it was ace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    A decent effort but could do with sounding more retro especially the drums need to sound harsher.

Relistened to Everything Counts the other day after a long time. it was ace
    Thanks, yeah I know what you mean about the drums but I'm slightly limited by the synths I have available, not many of them have a realistic drum sound. Unless you're after a dance sound then you're fine. I'll look into it, though. Thanks for the comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helraizer)
    mp3
    I'm a massive fan of Depeche Mode, as anyone living in my halls will confirm. I love Enjoy The Silence. I'm going to be brutally honest and call your remix a butchery. You've changed the pace in places where the original was, simply, much better. I've heard two (studio) remixes of Enjoy The Silence; "Reinterpreted" and "Timo Maas Extended Remix". Personally, Reinterpreted feels a little over-done, try-hard and busy to me, mostly because it tries to add too much without taking anything away. Nevertheless, it's not a bad mix, and it doesn't play with the pace. Extended Remix I like. It gives an eerie feel, adds entirely new sections, and keeps the vocals mostly unaffected. It distorts them in a few places, but it keeps the important parts, namely the chorus. It does drag on a bit, though. :p:

Yours is okay to begin with - the robotic voice is far too cheesy for an opener, but that aside it's not too bad. It starts promising. The volume levels could do with a tune-up, though; "come crashing in" is barely audible. The first chorus is a bit of a mess. The chop-'n'-change, the pace alteration, it doesn't work. Sorry, but it's just not. The distortion is not for the chorus. Other mixes leave the chorus at the correct pace, because it works that way, and only that way. Do not play with the pace on the chorus, trust me. The verse starting "Vows are spoken..." isn't too bad, but the effect you've got on repeat with the voice gets repetitive. You also need to keep the rhythm that highlights the rhyme. You might have noticed that certain lines rhyme, this is intentional, and demands a rhythm that compliments the rhyme. Your rhythm hides many rhymes and this needs sorting. You don't want to lose them, you want to use them to help it flow. After your pace slowdown change thing at the end, it sounds like a video game from the early '90s. Do something about that.

Main points, then:

- Sort out volume levels so that rhymes are audible (i.e. violence/silence)
    - Don't **** with the pace of the chorus. The mash-up of "harm" is acceptable, but don't mess with the pace otherwise
    - "Vows...forgettable" verse - the effect is very repetitive and muted. Make it more biting and memorable.
    - I quite like the classic electro bit after the second chorus
    - Make sure volume/distortion doesn't kill the rhymes
    - End bit sounds like Super Mario, other electro bridges are good though

Sorry if this sounds overly critical, but you did ask for criticism. Also bear in mind that I do love the original from Violator, and as such will judge all remixes, professional or otherwise, harshly. Most clubs etc only have the truncated single/best of version, unfortunately. I've not mentioned the sound quality of yours, as I realise you're using limited software, and don't have access to a professional studio, so it'd be harsh to judge on that. It's not a bad start you've got, but it definitely needs revising. Keep up with it, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    I'm a massive fan of Depeche Mode, as anyone living in my halls will confirm.
    There's no need to live with you, anyone's who's ever had a conversation with you can probably confirm it :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    I'm a massive fan of Depeche Mode, as anyone living in my halls will confirm. I love Enjoy The Silence. I'm going to be brutally honest and call your remix a butchery. You've changed the pace in places where the original was, simply, much better. I've heard two (studio) remixes of Enjoy The Silence; "Reinterpreted" and "Timo Maas Extended Remix". Personally, Reinterpreted feels a little over-done, try-hard and busy to me, mostly because it tries to add too much without taking anything away. Nevertheless, it's not a bad mix, and it doesn't play with the pace. Extended Remix I like. It gives an eerie feel, adds entirely new sections, and keeps the vocals mostly unaffected. It distorts them in a few places, but it keeps the important parts, namely the chorus. It does drag on a bit, though. :p:

Yours is okay to begin with - the robotic voice is far too cheesy for an opener, but that aside it's not too bad. It starts promising. The volume levels could do with a tune-up, though; "come crashing in" is barely audible. The first chorus is a bit of a mess. The chop-'n'-change, the pace alteration, it doesn't work. Sorry, but it's just not. The distortion is not for the chorus. Other mixes leave the chorus at the correct pace, because it works that way, and only that way. Do not play with the pace on the chorus, trust me. The verse starting "Vows are spoken..." isn't too bad, but the effect you've got on repeat with the voice gets repetitive. You also need to keep the rhythm that highlights the rhyme. You might have noticed that certain lines rhyme, this is intentional, and demands a rhythm that compliments the rhyme. Your rhythm hides many rhymes and this needs sorting. You don't want to lose them, you want to use them to help it flow. After your pace slowdown change thing at the end, it sounds like a video game from the early '90s. Do something about that.

Main points, then:

- Sort out volume levels so that rhymes are audible (i.e. violence/silence)
    - Don't **** with the pace of the chorus. The mash-up of "harm" is acceptable, but don't mess with the pace otherwise
    - "Vows...forgettable" verse - the effect is very repetitive and muted. Make it more biting and memorable.
    - I quite like the classic electro bit after the second chorus
    - Make sure volume/distortion doesn't kill the rhymes
    - End bit sounds like Super Mario, other electro bridges are good though

Sorry if this sounds overly critical, but you did ask for criticism. Also bear in mind that I do love the original from Violator, and as such will judge all remixes, professional or otherwise, harshly. Most clubs etc only have the truncated single/best of version, unfortunately. I've not mentioned the sound quality of yours, as I realise you're using limited software, and don't have access to a professional studio, so it'd be harsh to judge on that. It's not a bad start you've got, but it definitely needs revising. Keep up with it, and good luck!
    I appreciate your criticism.
    As for the ending I had to make something as the Depeche Mode version I have just fades out and for the assignment it needs an ending. Admittedly it sounds like a Nintendo game but that's the synth I was using.

The sound quality is because I'm using Cubase SX2 with lm-7 synth (not amazing) for drums, fruity-loops demo as VST and Slayer 2 for guitars. So as you say not exactly a professional studio.

The idea of the assignment is to change the genre, tempo etc.. whilst keeping it recognisable. Hence the distortion guitars making it slightly heavier.

I agree the 'Vows' verse is repetitive, before I had very little in there an another person said it was empty, so I will come to a comprimise between the two.

Levels are indeed in need of an adjustment.

The 'harm' part is because as part of the assignment we have to use time stretching and similar methods with vocal effects so that seemed to me to be the best place for that.

I will change the off beat drums in the first chorus, doesn't really work as well as the original as you say. I will come up with something.

I shall take into account what you said, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Alls I'll say is:

go and listen to the Talla 2XLC "goth-electro" tribute for the song. It's not a remix, it's a total reworking. Then go and find yourself some remixes of the song. Use inspiration, it's not illegal in the music world to inspire yourself with other versions of the song. And then, try and fall somewhere in the middle - somewhere that captures the ethereal qualities of the original, and the underlying harshness of some of the words [so somewhere inbetween the quite harsh "dancey" Talla version, and the multitudes of remixes out there now]

I don't think yours is ''bad'' per se, it just needs some 'clarity' and polishing in areas (particularly the chorus).

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks and folksesses,

I have to make a cover of Enjoy The Silence solely in Synths (using cubase/VSTs). It's now finished and have had peers listen to it/pass judgement to help it improve. Could you peepz please take a listen and share some constructive criticism? I've changed the instrumentation and made it slightly heavier with a synth Slayer 2. I've also used the acapella vocal track from the original but since it's not for commercial use, that's ok.

Enjoy The Silence

Constructive criticism welcome, or just thoughts..
    Few questions: How flexible is Slayer 2? And also, how'd you isolate the vocals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    Few questions: How flexible is Slayer 2? And also, how'd you isolate the vocals?
    1) Slayer 2 is pretty good, it's not perfect but it's better than most guitar synths (imo). It has a range of effects too incl. chorus, phaser, flange, harmonizer (8ve-r), talkbox, wah, compressor, etc. It also has a few head/cab simulations. Can do Distortion, clean, bass, etc..

2) My friend found the Acapella vocal track online and put it on a memory stick. It's floating around online somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    1) Slayer 2 is pretty good, it's not perfect but it's better than most guitar synths (imo). It has a range of effects too incl. chorus, phaser, flange, harmonizer (8ve-r), talkbox, wah, compressor, etc. It also has a few head/cab simulations. Can do Distortion, clean, bass, etc..

2) My friend found the Acapella vocal track online and put it on a memory stick. It's floating around online somewhere.
    you look like me

ReputationRep:

Ah, right.

Have you ever tried playing a midi through Revalver, Guitar Rig 3 or Amplitube? I think it sounds better than what you've got there.

But looking at the preset demo Slayer 2 has on it's site, it has the potential to be amazing.

LM-7 is also really really good if you know how to use it. Did you do the drums in guitar pro or fruity loops? I export midi's from GP and load up a similar drum map on LM-7 for such stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, right.

Have you ever tried playing a midi through Revalver, Guitar Rig 3 or Amplitube? I think it sounds better than what you've got there.

But looking at the preset demo Slayer 2 has on it's site, it has the potential to be amazing.

LM-7 is also really really good if you know how to use it. Did you do the drums in guitar pro or fruity loops? I export midi's from GP and load up a similar drum map on LM-7 for such stuff.
    Hey, yeah I have guitar rig 3 (demo) but never tried playing midi through it.. Unfortunately for this assignment, I have to use Cubase (can use any VST or synth with it(including fruity loops) but everything has to be done in cubase, instrument programming wise. So I used the LM-7 in Cubase SX-2 along with Kick and Hat from Fruity loops and programmed the part using piano roll/drum roll in Cubase. I don't think guitar rig can be used as a VST, unfortunately, can it? If it can I'll definately use that.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, yeah I have guitar rig 3 (demo) but never tried playing midi through it.. Unfortunately for this assignment, I have to use Cubase (can use any VST or synth with it(including fruity loops) but everything has to be done in cubase, instrument programming wise. So I used the LM-7 in Cubase SX-2 along with Kick and Hat from Fruity loops and programmed the part using piano roll/drum roll in Cubase. I don't think guitar rig can be used as a VST, unfortunately, can it? If it can I'll definately use that.
    It can. I don't know about the demo, I've got the full version and it runs via VST through Cubase.

ReputationRep:
    It can. I don't know about the demo, I've got the full version and it runs via VST through Cubase.
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought to look before, just found guitar rig.dll in VST plugins in the NI folder, so in theory if I put that in my Steinberg VSTs list.. *crosses fingers*.

Should get a slightly better guitar sound now. Saying that, Slayer 2 isn't bad but GR3 is better. Hopefully the latency won't be so much for the MIDI as it is for DI audio.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought to look before, just found guitar rig.dll in VST plugins in the NI folder, so in theory if I put that in my Steinberg VSTs list.. *crosses fingers*.

Should get a slightly better guitar sound now. Saying that, Slayer 2 isn't bad but GR3 is better. Hopefully the latency won't be so much for the MIDI as it is for DI audio.
    Aren't you even allowed to play a guitar in this project :eek:? if you're using Guitar Rig and have a low latency sound card (ASIO enabled preferrably) you're pretty much in business with guitar tone, so you should go with using an actual guitar. I don't think the midi will pan out too well, but it'll be better than Slayer 2.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you even allowed to play a guitar in this project :eek:? if you're using Guitar Rig and have a low latency sound card (ASIO enabled preferrably) you're pretty much in business with guitar tone, so you should go with using an actual guitar. I don't think the midi will pan out too well, but it'll be better than Slayer 2.
    This is an assignment for Sound Production so this assignment is MIDI only, unfortunately, next project will be allowed audio though. Just the way it's been set, we have to use software sequencers with midi sounds, and audio samples (hence the vocal track).

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy The Silence - Ambient

a much more ambient/chilled - easy listening version of Enjoy the Silence. What doth thou think? It's only an idea at the moment so is not in any way complete, please share your feed back on this one. When I say feedback, I mean whether it could in this genre, the instrumentation, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I love depeche mode and I love ambient music so that was a good start

Just my thought becuase I love music: I think the start needs to get stronger, start the same way it does but the soft synthy voilin sounds need to get less soft and a little more hard to add debt. I also think it's juat a tad bit too slow, the tune behind Dave Gahan singing is a little out of wack, I mean doesn't seam to fit properly, I really like the idea of it though. Maybe it sould start slow then build up to a really retro, synth full track like the strat one you were working on. I'm also not too sure about the section towards the end that goes off on a tangent and is no longer the same as the original.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callissa)
    I love depeche mode and I love ambient music so that was a good start

Just my thought becuase I love music: I think the start needs to get stronger, start the same way it does but the soft synthy voilin sounds need to get less soft and a little more hard to add debt. I also think it's juat a tad bit too slow, the tune behind Dave Gahan singing is a little out of wack, I mean doesn't seam to fit properly, I really like the idea of it though. Maybe it sould start slow then build up to a really retro, synth full track like the strat one you were working on. I'm also not too sure about the section towards the end that goes off on a tangent and is no longer the same as the original.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I've now changed the cello behind the vocals so that it is more in time.

In the original (the version I have, anyway), after the first chorus there is a 2 bar drum break and then the intro repeats itself. Since I haven't any drums in my track I made it 4 bars of the violin breakdown followed by the violin playing the intro melody. In the 4 bars it plays a pattern of: root-5th-8ve-5th-root-5th-3rd-5th - it does this down the chord of Cmi7 (Bb - G - Eb - C (one bar for each)) so is in key with the rest. 'Twas an instrumental break in place of a drum break, basically.

To be the ambient style I had in mind it sounded better slow, I tried it at 95, 98 and 100 bpm but all of them changed the feel of it, so I stuck to 90bpm, is it too slow then?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's just the song that doesn't feel right slow, maybe I've use to the higher bmp I have heard on all other versions of the track. I know nothing of music making only of listening in debt to things, the whole feels a little too bland, needs more contrast. Due to the fact it's really soft and seams almosts to float along the addiction of some sharp violin like synths would really add another layer. The section you mentioned doesn't sound like the original but that is probably due to the fact the pace is much slower, but I feel it doesn't suit it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 21, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.