The Student Room Group

university offer

if my offer is ABB but i manage to get A*A*C , would i still be given an offer since my total ucas points is above ABB?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dear-j
if my offer is ABB but i manage to get A*A*C , would i still be given an offer since my total ucas points is above ABB?

I would assume most definitely yes.
I've known people who had an offer of AAA and they received A*A*B and got rejected - even though 'technically' they got the equivalent of A*AA.
This is the problem. If the course has made too many offers, it may stick to the exact terms of the offer. You won't find out till results day I'm afraid.
(edited 1 year ago)
It's not guaranteed since you wouldn't have met your offer (the uni would have given the offer in UCAS points if that's all they cared about), but you wouldn't be automatically rejected. Unis gets results earlier than students, and they will look at all near miss students to fill any remaining places. Nobody can tell you your exact chances, since it depends on how all of the other offer holders do, so best just to try and put yourself in the strongest position you can with your exams :smile:
Original post by dear-j

Not if the grade C is in the most important A level
Original post by Muttley79
Not if the grade C is in the most important A level

I disagree. My offer was AAB and they said that I needed to get an A in physics, but I ended up getting a B. They still let me in despite getting a lower grade in an 'important' A-Level.
It really does depend on the overall numbers. The unis get the A Level results on the Monday of results week. They immediately confirm all those who have met the terms of the offer exactly. Then they go through the applicants who have not met the offer exactly. There will be a lower threshold below which offers will not be confirmed - above that, it's down to how many places are left - they will work from the best downwards.
Original post by Belgiumpie
I disagree. My offer was AAB and they said that I needed to get an A in physics, but I ended up getting a B. They still let me in despite getting a lower grade in an 'important' A-Level.

Count yourself lucky most would have rejected you. Nobody can tell is the truth. Op hasnt met the offer so the university is withinn their rights to reject. Sometimes universities accept students below but tat is dependent on how many meet their offers and that isnt known until results are out

Universities at these grades dont go on ucas points. They are meaningless as to whether a university will accept or reject somebody who has missed a grade.
(edited 1 year ago)

What year was that? Remember they need to fill places - you were fortunate. No-one can predict 2022.
Original post by cheadle
It really does depend on the overall numbers. The unis get the A Level results on the Monday of results week. They immediately confirm all those who have met the terms of the offer exactly. Then they go through the applicants who have not met the offer exactly. There will be a lower threshold below which offers will not be confirmed - above that, it's down to how many places are left - they will work from the best downwards.

It's usually about a week before so they have plenty of time to look ay 'close misses'
Unis get them on the Monday. Applicants on the Thursday. That's why you find out as soon as you log on if your offer has been confirmed.
Original post by cheadle
Unis get them on the Monday. Applicants on the Thursday. That's why you find out as soon as you log on if your offer has been confirmed.

Nope

we get them on the Friday evening before results day.
Original post by swanseajack1
Count yourself lucky most would have rejected you. Nobody can tell is the truth. Op hasnt met the offer so the university is withinn their rights to reject. Sometimes universities accept students below but tat is dependent on how many meet their offers and that isnt known until results are out

Universities at these grades dont go on ucas points. They are meaningless as to whether a university will accept or reject somebody who has missed a grade.

Yeah. I know that. I am just saying that it's not true that unis will reject you instantly if you get a lower grade in an important a level, because clearly that's not always the case. My university is also a russell group university and my course was also aeronautics and astronautics which can be harder to get into, so despite that they let me in. My offer was AAB, but I met all of their requirements apart from the physics grade requirement. Also, when I checked my raw exam scores, I got a solid B, so I was nowhere near an A.

What year was that? Remember they need to fill places - you were fortunate. No-one can predict 2022.

I got an offer in 2019 and I am about to graduate now from the same uni in 2022. Looking back, I was disappointed with that B in physics, because I put a lot of work in this subject, but I always thought that physics exam questions were difficult to understand. I still did okay at university though.
(edited 1 year ago)

I got an offer in 2019 and I am about to graduate now from the same uni in 2022. Looking back, I was disappointed with that B in physics, because I put a lot of work in this subject, but I always thought that physics exam questions were difficult to understand. I still did okay at university though.

They needed to fill the course; they'd rather have someone who chose them over a random from cleaing. You cannot extrapolate your experience to 2022.
They needed to fill the course; they'd rather have someone who chose them over a random from cleaing. You cannot extrapolate your experience to 2022.

Why is that? Is it because in 2022 universities give out offers based on predicted grades instead of actual results? I know that in 2020 things have changed because of COVID and lots of universities couldn't accept students based on their real results so they had to rely on teachers' predicted grades, which meant that it was easier to fill in the places. Is this still the case in 2022?
(edited 1 year ago)
People have delayed going because of covid - 2019 was the first year of some reformed A levels so unis were more generous in taking people. I don't hink this will be so this year. We are back to exams this year btw.
Why is that? Is it because in 2022 universities give out offers based on predicted grades instead of actual results? I know that in 2020 things have changed because of COVID and lots of universities couldn't accept students based on their real results so they had to rely on teachers' predicted grades, which meant that it was easier to fill in the places. Is this still the case in 2022?

In 2019 an average of 8*% achieved A*. Last year 23% achieved A* so any more people made their offers. Something similar is expected this year. More students meeting their offers means less places for near misses. You cant compare 2019 and 2022. The likelyhood is that it is going to be much more difficult to get in with near misses but only time will tell,
Original post by swanseajack1
In 2019 an average of 8*% achieved A*. Last year 23% achieved A* so any more people made their offers. Something similar is expected this year. More students meeting their offers means less places for near misses. You cant compare 2019 and 2022. The likelyhood is that it is going to be much more difficult to get in with near misses but only time will tell,

Whilst I agree and see your point, In reality, similar percentages of A*’s aren’t going to happen this year as last. Not taking the actual exams last year and having centre assessed grades inflated the amount of A’s and A*’s significantly. This will drop back down to lower levels this year likely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending