The Student Room Group

How often do you encounter vomit at university/in halls?

Bit of a strange question, but I have suffered from emetophobia (fear of vomit) for nearly my whole life. I have been to therapy but I'm not entirely cured! It means I experience a lot of anxiety if I do see sick/someone being sick. I'm desperate not to let this stop me from enjoying living in halls/clubbing/parties etc. when I'm at uni as I'm due to start in September. My question is, how often do people throw up in accommodation (as I know a lot of people do due to drinking)? Is it a regular occurrence after nights out? I'm looking to get an ensuite so hopefully that will help- but honest answers appreciated :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Bit of a strange question, but I have suffered from emetophobia (fear of vomit) for nearly my whole life. I have been to therapy but I'm not entirely cured! It means I experience a lot of anxiety if I do see sick/someone being sick. I'm desperate not to let this stop me from enjoying living in halls/clubbing/parties etc. when I'm at uni as I'm due to start in September. My question is, how often do people throw up in accommodation (as I know a lot of people do due to drinking)? Is it a regular occurrence after nights out? I'm looking to get an ensuite so hopefully that will help- but honest answers appreciated :smile:

Depends on what uni, I personally never encountered it within halls. Outside on the road sometimes, especially after friday night. If you have an ensuite that's good. Also depends on if you bring people into your room while drunk or if they mess up your kitchen
I only seen it once in my 3 years at uni so rarely
I've seen flatmates throw up twice (one from alcohol, one from illness) but both times I'd gone into their en-suite to help them. I've never seen it other than that, so it would have been very easy to avoid.

Hi there!

My name is El and I also suffer with Emetophobia! I was very worried with going to Uni with this fear as I knew I would experience it a lot... but to be honest, I rarely did! A lot of people do manage to get to the toilet but I also made sure to distract myself with a conversation with someone or listen to music as sometimes even the thought or sounds of someone being sick would panic me!

But I will say, regardless of the fear and the grossness of vomit, you do get quite used to it and it becomes normalised to you after Uni as you may find yourself with your closest friend or partner whose gotten into a state but you want to be with them to make sure they're okay and treated how we wanted to be treated when we've been sick ourselves with the phobia!

I still get anxious about being sick myself but know I'm totally used to people feeling it themselves and being ill too. Of course, I did tell everyone I have this phobia and that helped out a lot as people helped me stay out of it... though you may find another fellow emetophobia friend who will need your aid too. I remember in first year one of my room mates was sick all over his bed and his girlfriend has the phobia too and came to me in despair even though we didn't know one another! I helped her out whilst my laddy friends who don't care about gross stuff helped her partner out.

You just gotta do what you need to do to make sure you feel okay and safe! If you can't handle it, then don't get involved and stay away. Someone else will also be there to check on people when their sick but also a lot of the time when people are sick at Uni it's because of alcohol so after a bit, they're back to partying or in bed passed out!

But overall, I've rarely seen it. I've only seen my boyfriend sick in 2nd year when he got too drunk and the rest of the times everyone has been very private with it! To be honest, I think I've been the most sick at Uni out of all my friends which is funny to say when I'm so careful with everything because of my fear! But it happens and I'm glad it did as my fear of it has died down quite a bit.

I hope this helps!

El
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi there!

My name is El and I also suffer with Emetophobia! I was very worried with going to Uni with this fear as I knew I would experience it a lot... but to be honest, I rarely did! A lot of people do manage to get to the toilet but I also made sure to distract myself with a conversation with someone or listen to music as sometimes even the thought or sounds of someone being sick would panic me!

But I will say, regardless of the fear and the grossness of vomit, you do get quite used to it and it becomes normalised to you after Uni as you may find yourself with your closest friend or partner whose gotten into a state but you want to be with them to make sure they're okay and treated how we wanted to be treated when we've been sick ourselves with the phobia!

I still get anxious about being sick myself but know I'm totally used to people feeling it themselves and being ill too. Of course, I did tell everyone I have this phobia and that helped out a lot as people helped me stay out of it... though you may find another fellow emetophobia friend who will need your aid too. I remember in first year one of my room mates was sick all over his bed and his girlfriend has the phobia too and came to me in despair even though we didn't know one another! I helped her out whilst my laddy friends who don't care about gross stuff helped her partner out.

You just gotta do what you need to do to make sure you feel okay and safe! If you can't handle it, then don't get involved and stay away. Someone else will also be there to check on people when their sick but also a lot of the time when people are sick at Uni it's because of alcohol so after a bit, they're back to partying or in bed passed out!

But overall, I've rarely seen it. I've only seen my boyfriend sick in 2nd year when he got too drunk and the rest of the times everyone has been very private with it! To be honest, I think I've been the most sick at Uni out of all my friends which is funny to say when I'm so careful with everything because of my fear! But it happens and I'm glad it did as my fear of it has died down quite a bit.

I hope this helps!

El

Thank you so much for your reply it has been very reassuring! How did you tell people about your phobia? I get really embarrassed telling people so just wondering how you went about that, did you tell all your flatmates?

Hi there!

Honestly, I lived for 2 years in halls in an ensuite and I think I only saw vomit in the building once. But it does depend on the kind of flat you end up with. If you get people who do like to party and drink a lot, you will probably end up encountering vomit a bit more. My 2nd year flat and I drank a lot and each of us threw up a fair amount not going to lie, sometimes it was contained but sometimes it would be on the floor. Luckily none of us was squeamish and we all liked each other so we'd usually clean up after them if they couldn't do it themselves.

I do hear a fair amount of stories as well, but honestly, if you're not with people who are really gross, they would most likely clean up after they've thrown up or if they can, do it in the bathroom. I have encountered people throwing up in the streets on nights out, but I've only ever seen it once or twice (I'm a third year).

You do have the option of choosing an alcohol-free flat or a quiet flat though! My first year flat was a quiet flat and I never encountered vomit at all there, and I imagine alcohol-free flats will be the same. Sorry if this isn't too reassuring, just being honest! I would also say to maybe explain it to your flatmates if you're comfortable with doing that, so that they can keep you away from seeing anything if they see it first and try to not do it themselves in front of you.

Good luck and I hope you have a good year at uni!

Jade :smile:
Official University of Southampton Rep
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi there!

Honestly, I lived for 2 years in halls in an ensuite and I think I only saw vomit in the building once. But it does depend on the kind of flat you end up with. If you get people who do like to party and drink a lot, you will probably end up encountering vomit a bit more. My 2nd year flat and I drank a lot and each of us threw up a fair amount not going to lie, sometimes it was contained but sometimes it would be on the floor. Luckily none of us was squeamish and we all liked each other so we'd usually clean up after them if they couldn't do it themselves.

I do hear a fair amount of stories as well, but honestly, if you're not with people who are really gross, they would most likely clean up after they've thrown up or if they can, do it in the bathroom. I have encountered people throwing up in the streets on nights out, but I've only ever seen it once or twice (I'm a third year).

You do have the option of choosing an alcohol-free flat or a quiet flat though! My first year flat was a quiet flat and I never encountered vomit at all there, and I imagine alcohol-free flats will be the same. Sorry if this isn't too reassuring, just being honest! I would also say to maybe explain it to your flatmates if you're comfortable with doing that, so that they can keep you away from seeing anything if they see it first and try to not do it themselves in front of you.

Good luck and I hope you have a good year at uni!

Jade :smile:
Official University of Southampton Rep

I thought about a quiet flat- but I was worried that people there wouldn't want to make friends! I don't drink but I still enjoy going out with friends- so it would be good to hear your experience with quiet flats?

Hey!

I also suffer from emetophobia so I completely understand this concern! I have just finished my first year at uni and I haven't had to deal with any vomit so far thankfully! My best advice would be to tell your flat mates and close friends (if you feel comfortable enough of course) and they should be really understanding. I think having the ensuite will also really help! All unis are different, but most clubs/ student unions often implement fines for people who are sick which I find a bit more reassuring when I'm out!

Hope this helps,
Abby, University of Chichester Student Rep First Year Student Ambassador
I thought about a quiet flat- but I was worried that people there wouldn't want to make friends! I don't drink but I still enjoy going out with friends- so it would be good to hear your experience with quiet flats?

To be quite honest with you, I personally did not enjoy my quiet flat that much. I'd wanted to not end up with a crazy party flat or people blasting music at 3am, but instead I ended up with a very introverted, keep-to-themselves sort of flat. For my second year I didn't put that option and I really got along with the people I lived with!

I think it can be a hit or miss, one girl in my quiet flat was same as me, outgoing and friendly and wanted quiet, not lonely so we bonded over that. Don't get me wrong, they were nice people and we would speak to each other if we were in the kitchen, but we definitely didn't all go out together or have flat nights like I did with my second flat. I could say that my 2nd year flat was with people who were in 2nd, 3rd and even masters so we were all quite settled and comfortable with ourselves, and Covid made it so that the only people we had to hang out with were each other, but the flat opposite to us (not quiet either) weren't friends with each other at all, so maybe I just lucked out.

I can't quite generalize to give you a certain answer since it really does just end up being based on what the people are like, but in my experience I didn't really make friends with my quiet flat, so I understand your concerns. I think we were just all too different, another girl there made great friends with someone from another flat so I don't think it's that they didn't want to make friends, I think we were just all on different vibes.

Sorry, I know this can be quite a confusing answer, but I don't want to give you a definitive bad/good response since it really is varied! But if I were you and worried about making friends, I probably wouldn't choose a quiet flat. Alcohol free, maybe? Not drinking with people who do isn't all bad, my second year flat had one girl who didn't drink and she still just hung out with us like normal, we didn't feel like she had to or anything, and she usually brought snacks since she didn't have alcohol which was always appreciated.

Since it really does just depend on who you end up with, your best option might be telling them, people at uni do tend to be very understanding! But of course if you're not comfortable, an alcohol free flat might be worth looking into. I haven't had any experience with those to give you though, sorry!
Hi

Hi I'm in 3rd year of uni and also have had emetophobia since I was 7. I think having an en suite really helped me because I knew I had my own clean space. It is quite common for people to vomit after nights out but I told my uni friends about my fear quite early on so that they were aware and did not ask me to help/look after them when they were very drunk. Also i think its probably less common than you may think for someone to randomly vomit out of nowhere even if they are drunk and there are usually telltale signs. If I think I am around someone who is drubk enough that they could vomit spontaneously I usually remove myself from the situation. Bu I think the key to minimising the negative effect spy emetophobia on your uni experience is to tell people around you so that you have support and don't feel alone.

Quick Reply

Latest