Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need Some Serious Help, Please Read, Please!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Good luck.
    Hopefully they will understand and you will be fine!

(Original post by shamrock92)
    You're parents are being irrational. Forcing you to be a Christian won't make you a Christian, and in fact it's probably a sin in itself. To be honest, you've explained it as honestly and maturely as you can and if they don't accept that then you have little hope.
    Good answer. My parents haven't ever forced me, but were as proud as Punch when I was converted. It's all about letting you have the choice yourself - that's why free will comes into the Bible such a lot.

(Original post by Vladimir Kitsch)
    First of all i want to say how much I admire you for doing this !!:yep: wow, i almost idolize you (am I beginning to scare you lol?) I'm pretty much in the same situation as you but do not have the guts to do what you're about to do. I've thought about it many times but I just cannot do it.

Secondly, I appreciate you've researched religions and god but I don't agree with something you said. You said that you can't believe there's a god that would allow all the tragedy in this world. I think 'god' (if he exists) created and is just an observer. He didn't create any 'bad' things. All tragedy is caused by mankind even what people would regard as natural disasters. I think these came about because people somehow ****** up.

Feel free to send me an email or something if you want to talk, because I know exactly what you're going through

GOOD LUCK
    Thank you guys, yes i did end up going to Church this morning But hey, this time i knew it was for the last time

In your second point there Vladimir, i would like to say that my Parents view on God that he is sovereign and everything that happens is his doing or something like that. Of course not all Christians believe it, but yeah mine do, but i'm sure they have something to defend that as they have a way to defend literally everything. My advice mate is to go for it and do what i did if you're feeling like me if you have close enough friends or family to take you.

Cheers for the replies anyhow guys, the more appreciated I'm going to do it once my brother has gone to Sunday school (3.30). So remember me at that time haha!

(Original post by Tootles)
    Good answer. My parents haven't ever forced me, but were as proud as Punch when I was converted. It's all about letting you have the choice yourself - that's why free will comes into the Bible such a lot.
    Exactly, and that's why i hope my parents can see rationally because as i said in the letter i've done, i do really believe there is a larger chance of me becoming a Christian if they allowed my way because all i am feeling towards Christianity atm is hate and it's ever so much increasing. The amount of hate, for example, i hold for the minister at the Church is unbelievable because the things he says are downright shocking and i see it as these idiots who cause this strife and get rid of any free will in the house. It really is unbelievable because he says 'Sitting around the table twice a day reading the bible is imperative' and 'you must keep your children coming because you know their fate if they stop coming'. (in that general gist). So really it is terrible and horrid scare mongering tactics being used and these same people have no idea with other Religions (albeit my Parents have more of an idea than most but still only tend to read books biased towards Christianity on other religions it seems!).

Anyway i just hope they see this situation rationally, as you would wonder what anything else apart from accepting this would do for me as throwing me out or something like that would cause me to never look for Christianity again etc. and make me incredibly bitter towards Christians. Hopefully with about half an hour to think over it, they should (even if they get angry at first) be able to think rationally by then! Btw though, do you guys think half an hour is enough? Or too much?

Thanks again, i'm so glad i found this forum just for this, as i don't know what i would do with no support in this matter!

I'VE DONE IT!!!!!!

I got back after a 45 minute walk nervous as hell, and i walked into the living room. My parents were very rational about it, they wanted to know a few reasons why, i was so nervous it was unbelievable, but then after about 50 minutes we finished and they said there was no point me continuing to come along because they couldn't make me believe, but only God could. I really do respect that. I do have to participate in the bible readings after meals but in all honesty in the mornings i'm usually in bed when they have them and in the evening my dad takes a while before he gets back and isn't usually back for meal times. So not many i have to participate in and it's not asking much to abide by their rules for 30 mins max a week. They don't want to discourage my younger brother, who at 8 any more, i appreciate that. I respect their decision and i just hope other people who are in the same situation as me can learn from me.

ReputationRep:
    oh wow well done,
    you must be over the moon right now and proud of yourself :woo:

aside from going to the church, were u expected to do anything else? Were there christian life rules so to say. you said you have to sit down and read the bible twice a day? any other things like not being able to be friends with certain people?
    I'm just wondering how your parents will deal with it in terms of other people. Are they involved with a lot of other christians, do u have a lot of christian family?

(Original post by Vladimir Kitsch)
    oh wow well done,
    you must be over the moon right now and proud of yourself :woo:

aside from going to the church, were u expected to do anything else? Were there christian life rules so to say. you said you have to sit down and read the bible twice a day? any other things like not being able to be friends with certain people?
    I'm just wondering how your parents will deal with it in terms of other people. Are they involved with a lot of other christians, do u have a lot of christian family?
    Well as i said i miss the readings quite often so rarely partcipate in mornings (once a week or so) and i evenings (3 times a weeks or so). So 5 times a week or so i don't really mind, because i'm not making a row out of doing a small thing like this. My parents don't really see who i'm friendly with as i never bring them back to my house so nothing changes there. Basically it's only following their rules around meal times, now i can do things on Saturday nights and on Sundays which is great because i'm free from being seen as a Christian as such now and following every real rule there is.

I have no idea how my parents will cope with other people, they know a lot of other Christians, so will be interesting to see how they do on that front because i wondered if they might try to force me coming and having to continue with Church for that reason. But luckily they saw above that. I feel it a lot more likely that i could become a christian now let's just say, though that might change but yeah i needed to do this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel it a lot more likely that i could become a christian now let's just say, though that might change but yeah i needed to do this
    a bit confusing... i thought that the whole reason why you went through all this nerve-racking experience was because you did NOT want to be a christian, im a bit confused...

i am christian, but i admire you courage though as i think your parents were wrong at first, as christianity is all about free will and choice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.