_harry03
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi guys,
Can you guys help, im confused with what offence does with what defence: murder, loss of control, diminished responsibility, gross negligent manslaughter, unlawful act manslaughter, insanity, automatism and intoxication?
mjuhbgtfcdesz159
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _harry03)
Hi guys,
Can you guys help, im confused with what offence does with what defence: murder, loss of control, diminished responsibility, gross negligent manslaughter, unlawful act manslaughter, insanity, automatism and intoxication?
Diminished responsibility and loss of control are partial defences for murder, reduce the offence to one of manslaughter. Insanity is a partial defence to which D receives the special verdict and the judge can impose a hospital order or supervision order ( or an indefinite charge where it is murder) . Intoxication is a partial defence to specific intent offences where it is voluntarily induced and D does not have the mens rea but is a defence to basic and specific intent offences where it is involuntarily induced and D does not have the mens rea. Unlawful act manslaughter is where the Actus reus of murder has taken place without the mens rea, is a defence to murder . Automatism is a complete defence, if the defence if given, D is not charged at all, hence why most people plead automatism rather than insanity.
_harry03
Rep:
Hi thank you for that can I direct message you ask more questions?
mjuhbgtfcdesz159
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
yes sure as I am revising for the exams too and it will help me remember
_harry03
Rep:
What can I message you on privately as I don’t know how to do it on here?
zik04._
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mjuhbgtfcdesz159)
yes sure as I am revising for the exams too and it will help me remember
So i have paper 1 on the 6th and for voluntary intoxication and self induced automatism i was wondering what the difference is. How can i identify which defence to use since they are so similiar
_harry03
Rep:
Also any predictions on what the questions will be on?
mjuhbgtfcdesz159
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Also any predictions on what the questions will be on?
no clue, have to revise everything but I would focus 60% for scenario, 25% for essay and 15% for legal system. That's me though, you can do what you like
_harry03
Rep:
Has anyone covered law and fault im stuck on that?
Charlotteshay
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
What is a level law like.
Last edited by Charlotteshay; 2 months ago
jassi16
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
it is horrible
mjuhbgtfcdesz159
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by zik04._)
So i have paper 1 on the 6th and for voluntary intoxication and self induced automatism i was wondering what the difference is. How can i identify which defence to use since they are so similiar
You don't need to identify which defence to use, only the defence that is asked in the question. E.g. ' is the defence of intoxication allowed for sam'. This depends on if if the offence charged is one of specific intent or basic, and if the intoxication was voluntary or involuntary. If sam committed a basic intent crime, whilst voluntary intoxicated, he will not be given the defence as it is seen as a reckless course of conduct, and recklessness can constitute to the actus reus of basic intent crimes. Also, the main different is that automatism has to be from an external cause such as in the case of Quick - his state of mind was caused by taking insulin. Intoxication has to be from an internal cause. It all matters about the scenario.
Charlotteshay
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jassi16)
it is horrible
Could you elaborate please.
mjuhbgtfcdesz159
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Charlotteshay)
Could you elaborate please.
It's not that bad, there are a lot of cases and context that you have to remember though. What other subjects are you thinking to take and what do you want to do for university ?
mjuhbgtfcdesz159
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
How did you find the exam and what questions did you do?
zik04._
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
What is a level law like.
If ur doing AQA, and ACTUALLY revise for the exams like months prior to the final exam, you could easily get an A* because the answers are literally the structure which you just have to memorise. If you cant commit to it and leave it to the last week (like i did) then you wont get such a high grade and will have to resit.
Charlotteshay
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by zik04._)
If ur doing AQA, and ACTUALLY revise for the exams like months prior to the final exam, you could easily get an A* because the answers are literally the structure which you just have to memorise. If you cant commit to it and leave it to the last week (like i did) then you wont get such a high grade and will have to resit.
what about ocr.
zik04._
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
what about ocr.
couldnt tell you as i dot do it, i know the grade boundaries for an A is higher on OCR but then maybe the exams is easier, not sure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads