The Student Room Group

When do our predicted grades for UCAS need to be given

Im doing an a level as a private candidate and the next set of exams that the teachers will be giving is in december, this is when they will give my predicted grade, is this too late or is it ok.
Are you doing your other A levels at school?
Are you applying for Oxford, Cambridge or for Med, Dent or Vet at any Uni?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger

Nope just doing the ones as a private candidate, already finished school, im applying for med
The reason @McGinger asked those questions is because, as you can see from here, the application deadline for medicine is in October:

2023 entry application deadlines

15 October 2022 for 2023 entry at 18:00 (UK time) any course at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, or for most courses in medicine, veterinary medicine/science, and dentistry. You can add choices with a different deadline later, but don’t forget you can only have five choices in total.

25 January 2023 for 2023 entry at 18:00 (UK time) for the majority of courses.

You'll therefore need your predicted grades to be available by that deadline.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
The reason @McGinger asked those questions is because, as you can see from here, the application deadline for medicine is in October:

You'll therefore need your predicted grades to be available by that deadline.

So ill need it by october 15th
Original post by AKZ1
So ill need it by october 15th

Well, that's the deadline for your completed application to be submitted to UCAS.

If you were applying through a school, I know that they'd have an internal deadline (to allow them time to review the application, and to add the reference, predicted grades, etc.) which could be several weeks before the UCAS deadline itself. Do you know who'll be providing the reference?

I really don't understand the process for independent candidates - especially in terms of references etc. - so I'll step aside now and make way for the experts.
I have a question. so I have been predicted an A*AA. if I apply to a university which accepts AAB, would I get a different conditional/unconditional offer since my grades are high. An example being they may give a lower conditional offer to someone who is struggling more to reach the entry requirement and give BBB. please respond as I'm uncertain and don't want my high predicted grades to cause a high conditional offer in the future. thank you for any responses.
Well, that's the deadline for your completed application to be submitted to UCAS.

If you were applying through a school, I know that they'd have an internal deadline (to allow them time to review the application, and to add the reference, predicted grades, etc.) which could be several weeks before the UCAS deadline itself. Do you know who'll be providing the reference?

I really don't understand the process for independent candidates - especially in terms of references etc. - so I'll step aside now and make way for the experts.
Original post by McGinger

I have a question. so I have been predicted an A*AA. if I apply to a university which accepts AAB, would I get a different conditional/unconditional offer since my grades are high. An example being they may give a lower conditional offer to someone who is struggling more to reach the entry requirement and give BBB. please respond as I'm uncertain and don't want my high predicted grades to cause a high conditional offer in the future. thank you for any responses.
Original post by malakiebind

Generally speaking the offer you'll get (if you get one) will be that listed on their web site as their typical offer (or contextual offer, if that applies to you).

However, they're under no obligation to use the typical/contextual offer in your actual offer. There are cases when a high set of predicted grades has resulted in a high offer (i.e. above the typical offer), but it's not the norm.

As for "someone who is struggling more to reach the entry requirement" they're very unlikely to make that person an offer below the standard entry requirement.
Generally speaking the offer you'll get (if you get one) will be that listed on their web site as their typical offer (or contextual offer, if that applies to you).

However, they're under no obligation to use the typical/contextual offer in your actual offer. There are cases when a high set of predicted grades has resulted in a high offer (i.e. above the typical offer), but it's not the norm.

As for "someone who is struggling more to reach the entry requirement" they're very unlikely to make that person an offer below the standard entry requirement.

if the unlikely situation were to happen :"a high set of predicted grades has resulted in a high offer", do I have to meet the high offer or is it fine if I still get the usual entry requirement offer.
You have to meet your offer, regardless of whether it's higher or lower than the typical offer.
Original post by malakiebind
if the unlikely situation were to happen :"a high set of predicted grades has resulted in a high offer", do I have to meet the high offer or is it fine if I still get the usual entry requirement offer.

You are not going to get a higher grade because of your predictions so that somebody with lower grades gets the place instead. That is absolute nonsense and goes against what universities want which is to get the best students they can. The only time universities make offers to lower grades is under the widening participation procedure where they make contextual offers which are usually 2 grades lower to take account of the disadvantages these students have had. For example some schools never have students achieving the A* grade and this is used to overcome this.

You are totally overthinking this. If the standard offer is AAB that is the offer you will get no matter whether you been predicted 20A*s. Haviing higher predicted grades helps you get offers, somebody with CCC isnt likely to get an offer for a course with AAA. You having exceeded them probably will except for highly competitive universities and courses.

Universities are simply not in the business of giving offers to low performers and reject high performers unless there is some other reason. Universities want the best students they can get.
Your predicted grades won’t play any part in the offer conditions that you receive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending