The Student Room Group

Uni of Essex or Oxford Brookes for 1 year MSc data science/analytics

The fee is about 3000 GBP lower at OBU, which is an important factor for an international student. Essex has MSc in Data Science while OBU has an MSc in data analytics. I don't have a programming background. Please help me decide. Any advice is appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SwapnilParihar
The fee is about 3000 GBP lower at OBU, which is an important factor for an international student. Essex has MSc in Data Science while OBU has an MSc in data analytics. I don't have a programming background. Please help me decide. Any advice is appreciated.

Essex uni is a bit remote [outside Colchester and not much to do] whereas Brookes is in Oxford. Look at the modules; which seems to best fit your requirements?
Original post by Muttley79
Essex uni is a bit remote [outside Colchester and not much to do] whereas Brookes is in Oxford. Look at the modules; which seems to best fit your requirements?

I appreciate the quick reply. I have an offer from Aston as well, and waiting for a decision from 3 other universities, would you reckon that I choose Aston over OBU. Would it be wise to wait longer for a decision from other universities for September 22 intake?
(edited 1 year ago)
Where else? I would go for Brookes over Aston -
I appreciate the quick reply. I have an offer from Aston as well, and waiting for a decision from 3 other universities, would you reckon that I choose Aston over OBU. Would it be wise to wait longer for a decision from other universities for September 22 intake?

Data Science tends to be a bit more of program-y than Data Analytics, so if you want to learn some programming the Essex one might be good. As Muttley79 says, Essex is a campus outside colchester. I liked it well enough when I stayed there during NCS, though I can imagine it being insular. Both courses have good prospects. Brookes is decently central in Oxford (not as central as the University, but central enough that I know plenty of Brookes people. It's like 5 minutes on the bus from the Headington Campus to the heart of oxford, you might be based at the Wheatley campus, which is also not too far out.) As a Brookes student, you will also have access to a number of OU societies (more or less anything that isn't a sports society) so you kind of get the social aspects of two universities.
Where else? I would go for Brookes over Aston -

Applied to uni of Hertfordshire, uni of Sussex, and Liverpool (Liverpool, I deem it very ambitious and expensive but applied). Shall I wait to hear from any of them or proceed with OBU?
Also, would the course being data science or data analytics make a huge difference in a job search? ( I have no idea about the international job market). Thank you for your time, in advance
I would think the benefits of Oxford would be worthwhile - as mentioned you can join 'the other university's' societies.

The course seems to be based in Wheatley but it's usual to get a free bus pass and they go regularly into town. There's a lot of info on the website and you can ask questions.

https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/data-analytics/

Essex: https://www.essex.ac.uk/subjects/data-analytics#pg

Applied to uni of Hertfordshire, uni of Sussex, and Liverpool (Liverpool, I deem it very ambitious and expensive but applied). Shall I wait to hear from any of them or proceed with OBU?
Also, would the course being data science or data analytics make a huge difference in a job search? ( I have no idea about the international job market). Thank you for your time, in advance
Original post by vicvic38
Data Science tends to be a bit more of program-y than Data Analytics, so if you want to learn some programming the Essex one might be good. As Muttley79 says, Essex is a campus outside colchester. I liked it well enough when I stayed there during NCS, though I can imagine it being insular. Both courses have good prospects. Brookes is decently central in Oxford (not as central as the University, but central enough that I know plenty of Brookes people. It's like 5 minutes on the bus from the Headington Campus to the heart of oxford, you might be based at the Wheatley campus, which is also not too far out.) As a Brookes student, you will also have access to a number of OU societies (more or less anything that isn't a sports society) so you kind of get the social aspects of two universities.

Thank you for the comparison. It has swayed me towards OBU, a little, although OBU is offering Data Analytics. But since I am not from a programming background, data analytics course may be easier to cope with. Your thoughts?
Also, choosing to go for Data analytics, will I get equal opportunities in Data science jobs in the UK? Any advice.
I appreciate your time. Thank you in advance.
Thank you for the comparison. It has swayed me towards OBU, a little, although OBU is offering Data Analytics. But since I am not from a programming background, data analytics course may be easier to cope with. Your thoughts?
Also, choosing to go for Data analytics, will I get equal opportunities in Data science jobs in the UK? Any advice.
I appreciate your time. Thank you in advance.

So I can't talk too far about the data job market, as I am just entering it. My experience is that you can get into some forms of data science/analytics without much prior training. I have a maths degree and will be starting a job in data consultancy this summer, which has more of a data science bent. I have some scripting experience (rather than programming), some statistics (though not much) and they will be training me from almost scratch.

This page is quite informative on the differences. You can definitely go into data science having not done a degree in it. My portfolio and work experience has all been in data analytics as opposed to data science. You will just need to find a company that is willing to train you up (and there are plenty of those.)
I would think the benefits of Oxford would be worthwhile - as mentioned you can join 'the other university's' societies.

The course seems to be based in Wheatley but it's usual to get a free bus pass and they go regularly into town. There's a lot of info on the website and you can ask questions.

https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/data-analytics/

Essex: https://www.essex.ac.uk/subjects/data-analytics#pg

At OBU I can join other university's societies, but not if I am at Essex. Is it because there are not many universities around uni of Essex or other reasons. I am unaware of the system in the UK, it would really help if you could explain.
Thank you for the links!
At OBU I can join other university's societies, but not if I am at Essex. Is it because there are not many universities around uni of Essex or other reasons. I am unaware of the system in the UK, it would really help if you could explain.
Thank you for the links!

Usually you can't join other unis societies but because Brookes and Oxford co-operate [in all but sport] then are welcoming of each other's students.
Usually you can't join other unis societies but because Brookes and Oxford co-operate [in all but sport] then are welcoming of each other's students.

Ok!! got it.
I am sorry to bother you, but yesterday I received a 5000 GBP scholarship from Essex for MSc data science which now is about 1800 GBP cheaper than Oxford Brookes!!! Would you say the merits of OBU still outweigh Essex? The module is similar with OBU having more subjects and 10 credits per subject while Essex has less number of subjects with higher credits. Should this be taken into consideration to make a decision?
Ok!! got it.
I am sorry to bother you, but yesterday I received a 5000 GBP scholarship from Essex for MSc data science which now is about 1800 GBP cheaper than Oxford Brookes!!! Would you say the merits of OBU still outweigh Essex? The module is similar with OBU having more subjects and 10 credits per subject while Essex has less number of subjects with higher credits. Should this be taken into consideration to make a decision?

I think there are a lot of benefits of being in Oxford but it is your decision.
Original post by vicvic38
So I can't talk too far about the data job market, as I am just entering it. My experience is that you can get into some forms of data science/analytics without much prior training. I have a maths degree and will be starting a job in data consultancy this summer, which has more of a data science bent. I have some scripting experience (rather than programming), some statistics (though not much) and they will be training me from almost scratch.

This page is quite informative on the differences. You can definitely go into data science having not done a degree in it. My portfolio and work experience has all been in data analytics as opposed to data science. You will just need to find a company that is willing to train you up (and there are plenty of those.)

I agree! the webpage is a detailed comparison, Thank you for sharing. I am not sure, if coming from a non-programming background, I would be able to learn and do well in the dissertation without flunking, alllll in one year.

Although, I just got a 5000 GBP scholarship from Essex, which reduces the costs by about 1800 GBP (compared to OBU). Also, the number of subjects at OBU in data analytics is more for one year compared to DS at Essex, the total credits being the same though. What would you choose to do? I appreciate your advice
I think there are a lot of benefits of being in Oxford but it is your decision.

Thankyou for your opinion!! I appreciate it
I agree! the webpage is a detailed comparison, Thank you for sharing. I am not sure, if coming from a non-programming background, I would be able to learn and do well in the dissertation without flunking, alllll in one year.

Although, I just got a 5000 GBP scholarship from Essex, which reduces the costs by about 1800 GBP (compared to OBU). Also, the number of subjects at OBU in data analytics is more for one year compared to DS at Essex, the total credits being the same though. What would you choose to do? I appreciate your advice

I'm sure they would support you to learn programming (as both courses have fundamentals courses). I think either would set you up well for a good career in data, though essex looks to have specific employability skills modules. I think i would probably do analytics, simply because that currently lines up with my interest quite well.
Hi Swapnil, what have you decided? I too have been holding an offer from Uni of Essex for same MSc Data Science. And have offers from couple of other unis.
Hey! I will probably be going for Essex. @Karthik_K Sorry for the late reply.
(edited 1 year ago)
Good, I have finished the formalities and waiting for CAS from Essex..
Good to know.
@Karthik_K Let's connect on LinkedIn, if its ok with you
www.linkedin.com/in/swapnil-singh-parihar
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending