Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone been Kenya? (Visa, safety and vaccinations!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone been Kenya here? Or been this year since the trouble there after the elections earlier this year? Just wondering if its safe because I may be going in a few months. The home office website paints quite a grim picture saying it is under threat of terrorist attacks etc. but hopefully this is not the case.

I've also read that I can get a visa on arrival ( I hold a British passport). Really don't want to arrive and find out I should have went to the embassy and gained a visa before departing! Anyone confirm this with their experience?

Also how long before leaving did everyone go to visit their doctor for vaccinations? Ive read I should go 3 months before however I might be going before then! Any idea about fees?

Cheers for any input

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by showerface)
    Anyone been Kenya here? Or been this year since the trouble there after the elections earlier this year? Just wondering if its safe because I may be going in a few months. The home office website paints quite a grim picture saying it is under threat of terrorist attacks etc. but hopefully this is not the case.

I've also read that I can get a visa on arrival ( I hold a British passport). Really don't want to arrive and find out I should have went to the embassy and gained a visa before departing! Anyone confirm this with their experience?

Also how long before leaving did everyone go to visit their doctor for vaccinations? Ive read I should go 3 months before however I might be going before then! Any idea about fees?

Cheers for any input
    My housemate went to Kenya, but it was before all the violence and stuff. She actually got home (the second time) literally a couple of days before it all broke out.

She's been in touch with people at the orphanage where she worked, and it sounds like it's absolutely fine there. So regarding that side of things, I think it depends a lot on where you're going in Kenya. Some areas are quite safe, others aren't. What are you going to Kenya for? Do you have anyone you can contact to find out about the situation in that area?

Regarding the visa, my housemate did just get hers upon arrival. At the airport, I think. So I think that should be ok.

Go to the doctor as soon as possible, and hopefully it'll be soon enough. I think you get a fair bit of choice about tablets and vaccinations and stuff. Some are compulsory, but others are just advisable. I think my housemate spent about £180 on jabs and medicine though, so be prepared for the expense!

Hope some of that helped.

Have a great time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.