The Student Room Group

Can I use this book as wider reading for my personal statement?

So I'm currently writing the first draft of my personal statement for uni, and I've heard it can be beneficial to talk about a book related to your subject and what you thought of it. I've looked for recommendations but I don't want to force myself through a book just to put it on the personal statement.
Instead I was thinking of reading Yeonmi Park's In Order To Live, which is an autobiography about her experience escaping North Korea. I have been doing research on North Korea's human rights since before I even knew I wanted to study Law, so I figured I would have an easier time getting through it and I could talk about it with genuine interest if it were mentioned in an interview. This book isn't specifically about law, but I will also be putting that I am specifically interested in Human Rights Law and International Human Rights Law, which are optional modules I know are offered at the unis I am applying for.
Do you think this is a good idea, or should I try to find a book that is more closely related to law in general?
I'd say it's a good choice of book. Not because you "would have an easier time getting through it", but because you "have been doing research on North Korea's human rights since before I even knew I wanted to study Law."

As a result, the book represents a genuine interest, and reading it is not a fabrication in order to "look good" on a personal statement.

It gives you a good opportunity to talk about why you want to study law and your particular interest in Human Rights Law and International Human Rights Law.

Given your interest in the subject matter, it's likely you'll actually enjoy reading it too, which is a bonus.
A law degree will primarily focus on UK (and EU) law - and generally, academic books are better to talk about than books like this (i.e. ones that actually talk directly about theories/cases etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending