The Student Room Group

Do Cambridge care about EPQs/is it okay if I don't choose to do one?

Hi I'm not sure if I should do an EPQ,the thing is I feel that I can use other things to show I have an interest in Medicine e.g MOOC,extended reading,a range of work experience,without doing an EPQ.I do Biology,Chemistry and History,so I'm not sure,but I hope since I do an essay based subject,shows I am a 'competent writer,referencer and argument presenter'.I plan to try and get into Cambridge so I don't know if they care about EPQs or if they make a huge difference.I'm worried about doing one because I rather use that time to focus on the course work I have for History and my Science based subjects :/
Reply 1
Ah,I'm in y12 and I'm only doing 3 A-levels.I'll be honest I mostly want to have to chance to study medicine as I am genuinely interested.Its...mostly because of my mother pushing me to go and study at Cambridge,which to be honest I do not mind as it IS considered a good University,but I want to try and attend an university that is outside of London(as me and my mum have plans to move out of this city).I suppose what I would like to know is if it's okay if I don't choose to do an EPQ(would it make a huge difference in my application?)and I guess what universities are considered good for medicine that is not too far from London(travel wise).I have done my research on university within London that have a medicine course (Imperial, Kings College ect).I put did put Brighton Sussex medical school on my list(just a list for me)of possible universities but my mum was highly against and really did not want me to live in there(but I still placed that on my list just in case).Anyway,thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.(Sorry for the rant 😅)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by B-star
Ah,I'm in y12 and I'm only doing 3 A-levels.I'll be honest I mostly want to have to chance to study medicine as I am genuinely interested.Its...mostly because of my mother pushing me to go and study at Cambridge,which to be honest I do not mind as it IS considered a good University,but I want to try and attend an university that is outside of London(as me and my mum have plans to move out of this city).I suppose what I would like to know is if it's okay if I don't choose to do an EPQ(would it make a huge difference in my application?)and I guess what universities are considered good for medicine that is not too far from London(travel wise).I have done my research on university within London that have a medicine course (Imperial, Kings College ect).I put did put Brighton Sussex medical school on my list(just a list for me)of possible universities but my mum was highly against and really did not want me to live in there(but I still placed that on my list just in case).Anyway,thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.(Sorry for the rant 😅)

It's always good for parents to motivate their kids and make them aware of their true potential, but in the end, it is you who is going to be studying there for a few years. So definitely pick somewhere that you feel is the right place for you!
Reply 3
Original post by Meduse
It's always good for parents to motivate their kids and make them aware of their true potential, but in the end, it is you who is going to be studying there for a few years. So definitely pick somewhere that you feel is the right place for you!

Hi thank you for your advice:smile:I've done alot of reflecting and research and even though my mum wants me to go to Cambridge I actually want to try and get into Oxford.So I'm going to work hard and do my best 😤✊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending