The Student Room Group

Panic attack in public

The other day I randomly started panicking at home thinking omds what if I faint because I’m menstruating and feel a bit dizzy due to blood loss etc. this has took over my whole day and when I left the house to try and go on a walk I couldn’t stop thinking about this, I felt really dreamy and then every couple of minutes I would quickly squat down onto the floor because I would get panic attacks and feel faint and my tongue felt tingly at some point. Later that day for about five hours I felt weak and tingly and numb and panicky and I was scared I will pass out fearing something bad will happen and this feeling only stopped when I layed down with my bf and closed my eyes and ate a bit of food. Today I went shopping and for the first hour or so every shop I went to I felt the same and had mini panick attacks because of yesterday until I told myself I’m fine and the rest of the day went well. I’m assuming that it’s stress that caused me to ‘feel’ this way because sometimes I really tell myself I have anemia or some thing when I don’t think i do. I always check my heart beat through my neck too it’s so weird ANY TIPS PLEASE
Please go and see your gp wether or not the episode are mental or physical (heart arrhythmia) they can help. I know reaching out for help can be hard but it’s clear you can’t go on living you r daily life like this. I know reaching out for help can be hard specially if you have to let close people in your life know that you are struggling but it will help
Original post by Anonymous
The other day I randomly started panicking at home thinking omds what if I faint because I’m menstruating and feel a bit dizzy due to blood loss etc. this has took over my whole day and when I left the house to try and go on a walk I couldn’t stop thinking about this, I felt really dreamy and then every couple of minutes I would quickly squat down onto the floor because I would get panic attacks and feel faint and my tongue felt tingly at some point. Later that day for about five hours I felt weak and tingly and numb and panicky and I was scared I will pass out fearing something bad will happen and this feeling only stopped when I layed down with my bf and closed my eyes and ate a bit of food. Today I went shopping and for the first hour or so every shop I went to I felt the same and had mini panick attacks because of yesterday until I told myself I’m fine and the rest of the day went well. I’m assuming that it’s stress that caused me to ‘feel’ this way because sometimes I really tell myself I have anemia or some thing when I don’t think i do. I always check my heart beat through my neck too it’s so weird ANY TIPS PLEASE

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing that. I would advise you to speak to your GP; they are the ones that you should be asking for tips because they probably had patients with similar issues before.

Good luck!

Ivaylo
Student Ambassador
Visit your GP.

Dizziness can be caused by many things. Checking your pulse is not necessary unless you have some sort of heart-related condition.
I’m in a similar position. Ever since lockdown ended and restrictions have gone I’ve been panicking when out in public. I once fainted in a shop and I think it’s given me the fear of fainting again and so I panic when out in public. Definitely speak to your GP and make sure your vitals are all ok as it’s not something you want to have long term. I have started to control my breathing and remind myself that I’m in a safe place when I feel panicked, and I try to cool myself off as much as possible and not let myself overheat. Distracting myself also helps avoid it like talking about something else or reading. Having an ice cold sugary drink also helps me. Hope you figure out what’s going on
Original post by berrysweet
I’m in a similar position. Ever since lockdown ended and restrictions have gone I’ve been panicking when out in public. I once fainted in a shop and I think it’s given me the fear of fainting again and so I panic when out in public. Definitely speak to your GP and make sure your vitals are all ok as it’s not something you want to have long term. I have started to control my breathing and remind myself that I’m in a safe place when I feel panicked, and I try to cool myself off as much as possible and not let myself overheat. Distracting myself also helps avoid it like talking about something else or reading. Having an ice cold sugary drink also helps me. Hope you figure out what’s going on

Ive noticed that I feel like it is only to do with my head and it’s not actually happening tbh. My anxiety might be causing it idk if this is possible

Quick Reply

Latest