Question about "English Language"

Watch this thread
Galaxy-Charmy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Why is it called "English Language" when the GCSE has absolutely nothing to do with the English Language?
vapordave
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
how does it have nothing to do with the English language? it assesses your ability to write and read in English.
salosalo
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Galaxy-Charmy)
Why is it called "English Language" when the GCSE has absolutely nothing to do with the English Language?
Since English is a primary language of UK students they not only want to test your fluency but also the quality and effectiveness of your speech. It's aptly named imo
Galaxy-Charmy
Rep:
(Original post by vapordave)
how does it have nothing to do with the English language? it assesses your ability to write and read in English.
I mean, when I think 'English Language', I think it's to do with speaking in English. If it's writing, it should be in Literature. For reading, I guess it can be part of Language.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Galaxy-Charmy)
I mean, when I think 'English Language', I think it's to do with speaking in English. If it's writing, it should be in Literature. For reading, I guess it can be part of Language.
English literature is the literary analysis of literature written in English, not "writing in English".

Also bear in mind language learning is not merely learning the basic grammar and vocab of a language - those are the foundational stages, but at higher levels of language ability it will be testing critical reading comprehension, composition in a variety of contexts, speaking to different kinds of audiences, and general stylistics.

All of which GCSE English language does do - fundamentally it assesses (creative) writing, (critical) reading, and (public) speaking skills, which are all of the core skills of language learning other than listening.
Galaxy-Charmy
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
English literature is the literary analysis of literature written in English, not "writing in English".

Also bear in mind language learning is not merely learning the basic grammar and vocab of a language - those are the foundational stages, but at higher levels of language ability it will be testing critical reading comprehension, composition in a variety of contexts, speaking to different kinds of audiences, and general stylistics.

All of which GCSE English language does do - fundamentally it assesses (creative) writing, (critical) reading, and (public) speaking skills, which are all of the core skills of language learning other than listening.
Hmm... I guess so...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (17)
18.48%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (31)
33.7%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.43%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.17%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.78%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
19.57%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.52%

Watched Threads