Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You're supposed to use the periodic table for this quiz i think (:

A Roman City - 50 plus oxygen(16), neodymium(144), indium(115), iodine(127), uranium(238) added to a 1 moldm-3 solution.

I put the mass number (atomic mass) of each element in brackets to save you looking them up (: its the bit about the moldm-3 solution that is bugging me. i haven't really learnt about that before :/

thanks everyone, its probably dead easy but i'm just not getting it! :/

ReputationRep:
    N.B - the atomic number and mass number are different things.

no idea about this question though, sorry

ReputationRep:
    N.B - the atomic number and mass number are different things.
    thanks, i changed it (: xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    You're supposed to use the periodic table for this quiz i think (:

A Roman City - 50 plus oxygen(16), neodymium(144), indium(115), iodine(127), uranium(238) added to a 1 moldm-3 solution.

I put the mass number (atomic mass) of each element in brackets to save you looking them up (: its the bit about the moldm-3 solution that is bugging me. i haven't really learnt about that before :/

thanks everyone, its probably dead easy but i'm just not getting it! :/
    I'm not even sure about what the question is asking :confused:

But mol dm^-3 is a unit of concentration. If it is 1 mol dm^-3, then there is 1 mole for every dm. There are 1000cm^-3 in 1dm^-3.

If you already knew that and are asking a different question, then that must've sounded very patronising :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you already knew that and are asking a different question, then that must've sounded very patronising
    I didn't so thanks (: Umm we're supposed to use the clues to find the name of a roman city. :/

ReputationRep:
    not a ******* clue its pissing me off.
    i havent got a clue

(at first i thought due to different densities you might get like a greasey stuff, like oil in water or whatever - greasey - Greece. Thats how bad i am - i havent got a clue not even close)

ReputationRep:
    Is that all the information you were given?

ReputationRep:
    ahh this is annoying me now. has anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    Please type the question EXACTLY as it is. A 1M solution of WHAT, btw? :confused: And what is '50 plus'? g, g/mol, mol....
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Type the question exactly as you see it, perhaps then I could make sense of it :confused:

Pretty please

ReputationRep:
    Is that all the information you were given?
    Yep, just that and that we're supposed to use the periodic table to help us.
    Please type the question EXACTLY as it is. A 1M solution of WHAT, btw? And what is '50 plus'? g, g/mol, mol....
    Type the question exactly as you see it, perhaps then I could make sense of it
    The exact question is:

A Roman City - 50 plus oxygen, neodymium, indium, iodine, uranium added to a 1 moldm-3 solution.

With most of the other questions, you use the elements symbol or mass number to help you figure out the answer, but this one baffles me! I'm not sure what the '1 moldm-3 solution' thing means at all - the quiz is for the whole school so I guess we haven't covered it yet.

(:

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like some obscure crossword clue...
    Could the 1 mol dm-3 equal M? Could 50 be Sn (which has atomic number 50)? Atomic mass 50 lies between Ti and V...
    Sn, O, Nd, In, I, U, M.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelyus)
    This sounds like some obscure crossword clue...
    Could the 1 mol dm-3 equal M? Could 50 be Sn (which has atomic number 50)? Atomic mass 50 lies between Ti and V...
    Sn, O, Nd, In, I, U, M.
    So the answer would be "S n M" :p:

ReputationRep:
    Londinium.

ReputationRep:
    what 50 in roman numerals??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    what 50 in roman numerals??
    Apparently that's what the 50 referred to.

L; O, Nd, In, I, U; M

ReputationRep:
    Londinium
    i thought that too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelly_Beans_=])
    i thought that too
    Probably because it's the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelly_Beans_=])
    could mol/dm3 be m/l (as in litre), so that'd be where the extra m and l come from
    L comes from the Roman numeral for 50. M comes from mol dm-3.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about the atomic masses.

Think, about the chemical symbols element, and the roman numeral for 50?

got it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.