Indian English-speaking people, I need your help please

Watch this thread
zakramsey
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm studying World Englishes and currently I'm revising variety in phonetics. A bit of the material says that those who speak the Indian English Dialect pronounce 'water' differently to those who speak British English/Standard English.

How do you pronounce water? Could you show me in letters (People speaking standard English pronounce water as 'war-tur').

Thanks!
diya277
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by zakramsey)
I'm studying World Englishes and currently I'm revising variety in phonetics. A bit of the material says that those who speak the Indian English Dialect pronounce 'water' differently to those who speak British English/Standard English.

How do you pronounce water? Could you show me in letters (People speaking standard English pronounce water as 'war-tur').

Thanks!
I think it depends on where you grow up. For example, I've grown up in England and pronounce it like the example you've given ("war-tur") but I believe that it's because I have a slightly different accent when I speak English compared to the language I speak at home. I think that if you've lived in India your life, you're more likely to roll the 'r' in water. I don't know if that helps
zasng45
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by zakramsey)

Thanks!
My indian friend says vaa-tur. He is extra fresh though.
zakramsey
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by zasng45)
My indian friend says vaa-tur. He is extra fresh though.
Ah, this is what I was expecting. Apparently amongst Indian speakers, the consonants /w/ and /r/ are unfamiliar.
Roxibox123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I know That people pronounce it like var-terr
But in U.K. English it's just war-ter
Just like don't roll the r and the w is just like your mouth pursing like as if you were going to say oo rather than your teeth hitting your lower lip to say v
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (113)
40.79%
They're exactly what I expected (66)
23.83%