Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Is it possible to do an internship with the big 4 in a regional office, and then when you are given a job offer (if you are successful), to then ask to accept the job but in a London office?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of exactly the same question.

ReputationRep:
    I know with PwC you have to have another interview with a partner from the office you're hoping to switch to. So it's risky, since if the London office partner doesn't offer you a job it's quite like the regional office won't want you back either.

It's up to you whether you want to take that risk. You could lose your job offer altogether!

ReputationRep:
    you get the offer for the office you worked in - if you want to work in london when you graduate - DEF apply for London, dont take risks especially in this climate
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Not true at all. I can only really speak for KPMG, but you choose your department and location on a form, and a relevant person interviews you. Most people I know that applied at the end of their internships didn't apply for the same dept they interned in, so it obviously didn't make any difference about the office.

Normally its the case that when you asked about graduate jobs, they ask which office you want to be considered for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Not true at all. I can only really speak for KPMG...
    And I can only speak for PwC (as I mentioned) for whom what I said is most definitely true.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    But surely if you wanted to apply to a particular office it wouldn't be another interview, it would be the only interview? Or does PwC not give its interns the choice of where to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    i am speaking for how it work at EY - they are very strict as if you apply for Audit Leeds for example, you will get an offer for that ONLY, nothing else. This is to stop people weaseling into Corporate Finance or London who arnt good enough to get there in the first place- Fair system id say - (a little bias I must admit)

ReputationRep:
    Generally, if you worked in a regional office, but want to be considered for London, then you'll have to have an interview in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thee_One)
    i am speaking for how it work at EY - they are very strict as if you apply for Audit Leeds for example, you will get an offer for that ONLY, nothing else. This is to stop people weaseling into Corporate Finance or London who arnt good enough to get there in the first place- Fair system id say - (a little bias I must admit)
    You can still request to be considered for a different location and/or service line, it's just not automatic that this is considered. I know many people who've moved after their internship - including moving to London from a regional internship.

ReputationRep:
    For Deloitte you can apply for any office and any service line at the end of your internship but you have to meet the criteria ie. if you interned in audit and want to apply to consulting you have to meet the 320 tariff points criteria then have a first interview and a partner interview.

I do know people who did this so it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    But surely if you wanted to apply to a particular office it wouldn't be another interview, it would be the only interview? Or does PwC not give its interns the choice of where to apply to?
    Only interview? Surely everywhere does at least two interviews as standard? Whether it's both interviews before the internship or a first interview and then a second after the internship and before grad scheme. Apologies if not!

At PwC: Yes, you get a choice of which office to apply to (for the internship) and as part of the internship application process you do a first interview (which this year is changing to a telephone interview) and a partner/director interview.

So interns have already been "approved" by a partner in that office before they begin their internship. Therefore if they want to change offices for the grad scheme you will have to pass another interview with a partner at the office you wish to switch to. There is no guarantee this partner will offer you a job at the 'new' office. If they don't then you will have no job at all since asking for an interview at a different office is seen as a rejection of the original offer.

I'm not sure if that clears up the confusion but I hope it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel1188)
    Only interview? Surely everywhere does at least two interviews as standard? Whether it's both interviews before the internship or a first interview and then a second after the internship and before grad scheme. Apologies if not!

At PwC: Yes, you get a choice of which office to apply to (for the internship) and as part of the internship application process you do a first interview (which this year is changing to a telephone interview) and a partner/director interview.

So interns have already been "approved" by a partner in that office before they begin their internship. Therefore if they want to change offices for the grad scheme you will have to pass another interview with a partner at the office you wish to switch to. There is no guarantee this partner will offer you a job at the 'new' office. If they don't then you will have no job at all since asking for an interview at a different office is seen as a rejection of the original offer.

At Deloitte you have only had a manager before the internship then at the end you have a partner interview with the office you are applying to, so if you just wanted to switch from audit to tax or from one consulting department to another then this would be your only interview. If you wanted to switch to consulting or corporate finance you would have to have another manager interview and then a partner interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stosie)
    if you just wanted to switch from audit to tax or from one consulting department to another then this would be your only interview.
    Ah I see what Nina meant by only interview... only partner interview. Got it!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Rachel1188)

Yeah it does. At KPMG your first interview is with a manager.
    The final interview is at the end of the internship with whichever office you wish to apply to - you aren't automatically offered a job in your own office so there is no situation whereby you 'reject' that job offer, simply because there isn't one.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I assumed there were multiple interviews because when you said about having a job offer at the original office I figured you would have an interview there to secure a grad offer there, and you were talking about THEN going for another interview at the office you wanted to apply to, rather then automatically having a job from your original office.

Anyway I think we're all clear now.

ReputationRep:
    at EY corp finance - there is no partner interview at the end - you have partner interview as part of internship selection and expected to impress in your wrk and partner shadowing day

ReputationRep:
    Sweet_gurl and Economist1,
    Why do you want to move from a regional to London office? Regional offices have many benefits over the London office...I'm talking from experience from working in a regional and london based office for PwC

ReputationRep:
    please enlighten me - London = better clients, work, pay, future opportunities, lifestyle etc..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squita)
    Sweet_gurl and Economist1,
    Why do you want to move from a regional to London office? Regional offices have many benefits over the London office...I'm talking from experience from working in a regional and london based office for PwC
    I live in London, so it would be easier for me.

But from your experience, what are the advantages of working in a regional office?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.