The Student Room Group

A level history or A level law?

For my A levels in September I am doing English literature and language, psychology and I am unsure of my third course. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which I should do: history or law?
as a yr13 who does eng lit & history, its one of my BIGGEST regrets bc both subjects require coursework which is 20% of ur grade and I struggled so much having to balance the two of them, if I was you, I'd get rid of English lit and do history instead, English lit is SO hard but again its ur choice [I don't mean to scare you or tell you that ur subject choices r bad], it's just mentally this year I struggled so much with English lit, I was getting A's and A* for AS then in A-Level it all went downhill, the content is hard and its impossible to get full marks :frown:
Original post by g-elizabeth
For my A levels in September I am doing English literature and language, psychology and I am unsure of my third course. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which I should do: history or law?
Original post by g-elizabeth

What re you thinking of doing afterwards? That may influence your choice.
Which do you think you will enjoy the most/get the best grade in? I know you probs wont have done law before but look at the specifications and see what you think.
I would say pick the thing you enjoy the most. Both law and history or content heavy and if you don't enjoy it, you may find it difficult to study it. Saying that, I do A Level Law and it's my least favourite subject, but I know some people who's it's their favourite so it really differs. With Law there are a lot of cases u need to know, I can't remember what my teach said but it was upward of 200+ in total (although you don't need to know them in depth, just what the courts findings were).
Original post by cinnamonnbun
as a yr13 who does eng lit & history, its one of my BIGGEST regrets bc both subjects require coursework which is 20% of ur grade and I struggled so much having to balance the two of them, if I was you, I'd get rid of English lit and do history instead, English lit is SO hard but again its ur choice [I don't mean to scare you or tell you that ur subject choices r bad], it's just mentally this year I struggled so much with English lit, I was getting A's and A* for AS then in A-Level it all went downhill, the content is hard and its impossible to get full marks :frown:

I’ll definitely be doing english, but thanks for the info!
I do both of these and I’ve just finished year 12. Just like everyone says, these subjects are hard and there’s a lot of content but if you don’t mind essays and reading then it’s actually really enjoyable. Universities love A Level History because by doing it you demonstrate that you can adapt your style of writing to many different types of question. History has coursework which is generally worth 20% of your grade - it is a lot of work but you’ll be told how to format your essay and you can tell universities you have experience in researching and referencing. Law is great because you learn how to be succinct with large amounts of knowledge and you are taught how to apply that knowledge to different scenarios, and also evaluate the law. I’d totally recommend both of these😊😊
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by sophieemorgann
I do both of these and I’ve just finished year 12. Just like everyone says, these subjects are hard and there’s a lot of content but if you don’t mind essays and reading then it’s actually really enjoyable. Universities love A Level History because by doing it you demonstrate that you can adapt your style of writing to many different types of question. History has coursework which is generally worth 20% of your grade - it is a lot of work but you’ll be told how to format your essay and you can tell universities you have experience in researching and referencing. Law is great because you learn how to be succinct with large amounts of knowledge and you are taught how to apply that knowledge to different scenarios, and also evaluate the law. I’d totally recommend both of these😊😊

Hi, thanks so much for the response! Would i be able to DM you about the history coursework? :smile:
Yeah absolutely!! Doing mine at the moment so it’s all fresh in my mind😊
Yeah absolutely!! Doing mine at the moment so it’s all fresh in my mind😊

I can’t send DMs yet so I’ll just post it here 🙈

Regarding the coursework, ours will be based on witchcraft in the 17th century but I’m assuming each school will be different.
I’m not really looking for specifics on witchcraft, more so on how you go about completing the work, the time you have, what support you are allowed etc.
Anything you know really, as I’ve heard coursework is really difficult 🙈
Again, thank you so much!
What your expected to do largely depends on your exam board. I do Edexcel History and I’m doing the abolition of the slave trade: on edexcel the task is to pick main 3 extracts with differing interpretations about why the slave trade was abolished, and about 3 supplementary extracts to support or challenge the main extracts (your school should provide you with extracts). Basically you introduce the points that the historians make, give examples, give context and evaluate them (good/bad points about the extract and why the historian chose to talk about that).
In terms of support your teachers are allowed to give you simple feedback but cannot provide you with example answers. I started my coursework in June and I have until November, but that might be different for you.
If you have any more question, please let me know. I hope that helps!!
What your expected to do largely depends on your exam board. I do Edexcel History and I’m doing the abolition of the slave trade: on edexcel the task is to pick main 3 extracts with differing interpretations about why the slave trade was abolished, and about 3 supplementary extracts to support or challenge the main extracts (your school should provide you with extracts). Basically you introduce the points that the historians make, give examples, give context and evaluate them (good/bad points about the extract and why the historian chose to talk about that).
In terms of support your teachers are allowed to give you simple feedback but cannot provide you with example answers. I started my coursework in June and I have until November, but that might be different for you.
If you have any more question, please let me know. I hope that helps!!

Ahh okay this clears it up a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest