The Student Room Group

I’m 17 and fluent in a language. Would I able to take it as an Gcse?

So I’m in year 13 from Northern Ireland studying Economics, Maths, Computer science and spanish. I’m fluent in German but only have been fluent since year 8. My secondary school didn’t teach German and since I was the only one fluent in my school they didn’t let me sit the exam. My question is that would I be able to sit it next year even though I’m not from there? Cause usually the people whom do polish GCSE or whatever, families are fluent so they have the opportunity.
Original post by Www.NîckName.con
So I’m in year 13 from Northern Ireland studying Economics, Maths, Computer science and spanish. I’m fluent in German but only have been fluent since year 8. My secondary school didn’t teach German and since I was the only one fluent in my school they didn’t let me sit the exam. My question is that would I be able to sit it next year even though I’m not from there? Cause usually the people whom do polish GCSE or whatever, families are fluent so they have the opportunity.

Seeing as you are already in year 13 (and will be at uni or wherever by the time you do it), i dont think it will be worth doing the GCSE. If you were just starting 6th form/college, then it may have been worth doing it. But i think its a bit late now.
It is however a useful skill that you have. It will still look good even though you dont have a qualification in it. You can mention it when applying to jobs/uni/other further education.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yes, of course. You will need someone to do the oral exam with though, providing your school allows you to sit it (if not, you would need to find another school willing to host you).

I think you could be able to do it, even though you are in Year 13, I think you should talk to the head of MFL at your school to see if they can host it for you. If your school cannot provide that, you can always do it outside of school with a trusted organisation that has the experience in teaching German GCSE. However, it is possible that you will have to pay for the GCSE if it's outside school. If you can take it through your school, then it should be free since I'm doing my mother language through my school.

There is the other option that you don't do German GCSE but you could mention that you are fluent in it in your CV for the future! :smile: Regarding the proof that you can speak German fluently, I think there are a few websites that give certificates for the language that you learn/know which can be good for proof. Hope this somewhat helps! (*^_^*)
That’s strange that they didn’t let you take it. Idid Persian and it was really difficult to find an oral examiner compared to say someone who knows German.
As above the salient point is you are past GCSEs now and since individual GCSEs have no real value outside of English language and Maths (or for a couple of degrees, science), there is really no benefit in doing an extra GCSE now.

You would be better off just focusing on your A-level studies. If you wanted to explore German culture more there are plenty of other ways to do that in your spare time as an extracurricular activity.

You could do a DELF exam instead. It sounds too late for a GCSE, and it will give people who are interested a more accurate representation of your fluency level.

Edit: CEFR. DELF is for French.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
I'm guessing you're in the equivalent of year 12 in england/Wales. Instead of gcse, why don't you do A level since you are fluent. Ask your school if they can enter you in for exams, if not go to an exam centre. Have a look at the aqa a level German exam paper for listening, writing, reading and speaking and see if it is doable.
Original post by Emma:-)
Seeing as you are already in year 13 (and will be at uni or wherever by the time you do it), i dont think it will be worth doing the GCSE. If you were just starting 6th form/college, then it may have been worth doing it. But i think its a bit late now.
It is however a useful skill that you have. It will still look good even though you dont have a qualification in it. You can mention it when applying to jobs/uni/other further education.

Thanks Emma this was useful
Original post by lattae :p
I think you could be able to do it, even though you are in Year 13, I think you should talk to the head of MFL at your school to see if they can host it for you. If your school cannot provide that, you can always do it outside of school with a trusted organisation that has the experience in teaching German GCSE. However, it is possible that you will have to pay for the GCSE if it's outside school. If you can take it through your school, then it should be free since I'm doing my mother language through my school.

There is the other option that you don't do German GCSE but you could mention that you are fluent in it in your CV for the future! :smile: Regarding the proof that you can speak German fluently, I think there are a few websites that give certificates for the language that you learn/know which can be good for proof. Hope this somewhat helps! (*^_^*)

Hi thanks a lot this really set a new perspective
Original post by Honey57
That’s strange that they didn’t let you take it. Idid Persian and it was really difficult to find an oral examiner compared to say someone who knows German.

Yeah I found it a bit odd too because it was really uncommon from them to find someone to do the polish and Arabic but they found someone. It’s not really common schools wear I live to do it but I’d say the nearest school to me to do German is roughly an hour away so I’m not sure why’d they not let me do it considering the only one that would be hard to find is an speaking examiner
Original post by GTT21
I'm guessing you're in the equivalent of year 12 in england/Wales. Instead of gcse, why don't you do A level since you are fluent. Ask your school if they can enter you in for exams, if not go to an exam centre. Have a look at the aqa a level German exam paper for listening, writing, reading and speaking and see if it is

I do an exam board called Ccea which is the one u do in (NI) and they do German but I’m pretty sure my head of year can’t be asked which is why she hasn’t done anything about it. Cause I had to do assessments (In gcse and a level papers which I ended up scoring an A* in gcse and an mark off A* in the a level) and all still no luck
Original post by SagaciousSag
You could do a DELF exam instead. It sounds too late for a GCSE, and it will give people who are interested a more accurate representation of your fluency level.

Edit: CEFR. DELF is for French.

Not rWally sure what u mean by CEFR or DELF but I’ll have an look into it
Original post by artful_lounger
As above the salient point is you are past GCSEs now and since individual GCSEs have no real value outside of English language and Maths (or for a couple of degrees, science), there is really no benefit in doing an extra GCSE now.

You would be better off just focusing on your A-level studies. If you wanted to explore German culture more there are plenty of other ways to do that in your spare time as an extracurricular activity.

Thanks, some other people have gave me soon great advice and I think I’ll write about it in my CV
Original post by Honey57

Hi,
Where did you find a GCSE Persian examiner?
I might sit the exam but I need to find an examiner near the North East (Newcastle) to do the speaking test.

Quick Reply

Latest