Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A lot of thefts from my accomodation inc expensive things, whats best thing to do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At first it was just a few slices of bread here and there, then became a whole pack of the 32 slices of ham, then became a whole big bit of cheese, then 15 muller corners, then anything like choclate bars left in fridge, anything that can be used as munchies was taken, even frozen ready meals.

But then also peoples bank and credit card statements have started to go missing.

Also I had a parcel sent by courier Friday which was signed for by a non existant tenant i.e no one of that name lives here and no ones admitted to it.

And today went down to do my washing to see almost half a massive box of powder gone(not the small cheap ones the ones that are normally like £3 for a supermarket brand one) so the empty box is left there.

This is just myself this has happened to but strange things have gone missing as well, such as some of the polish builders copied dvds of polish tv! and theres no polish tenants here, also a very old tatty fleece from one of the builders, and of course loads of pots, pans, cutlery etc.

Im not being nasty but I have my suspicions as theres a guy who has late night parties every night and always drinks alcohol in his room, goes out in a big taxi with friends then comes back and gets a take away then smokes cannabis so wheres he getting all the cash! He was also pushy with me 2 weeks ago claiming his phone battery died(though it was on and I saw it) and he wanted to come into my room to borrow mine.

The stoner lads in my house say he deals drugs from his room as they bought some from him once and hes always asking if they want to buy anything.

What can I do?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Talk to the landlord/university/whoever allocated you the accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Talk to the landlord/university/whoever allocated you the accommodation.
    They arent bothered just saying theres nothing they can do.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd start by getting some insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Well I'd start by getting some insurance.
    Already have insurance, had a flat robbed in past and lost everything so im careful.

ReputationRep:
    if peoples bank details have started going missing then its obviously serious enough to go to the police, not to mention someone signing for other peoples post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Already have insurance, had a flat robbed in past and lost everything so im careful.
    Call the rozzers then.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely one for the police IMO. Taking food is one thing, stealing parcels, bank and credit card statements is another. And theres drug dealing going on too!. I"m glad the OP has insurance though, we didnt have it when we got burgled last may.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Definitely one for the police IMO. Taking food is one thing, stealing parcels, bank and credit card statements is another. And theres drug dealing going on too!. I"m glad the OP has insurance though, we didnt have it when we got burgled last may.
    But I cant prove any of it, and I know what police are like as when my flat was robbed before and I knew it was the squatters in the flat next door(considering I saw my stuff in their room as they even left their door open! and police said its my word against theirs and if I went into the flat to check ID get arrested.

ReputationRep:
    But I cant prove any of it, and I know what police are like as when my flat was robbed before and I knew it was the squatters in the flat next door(considering I saw my stuff in their room as they even left their door open! and police said its my word against theirs and if I went into the flat to check ID get arrested.
    That sucks! :mad: . Actually I have just thought of a way you might be able to find out for sure whos robbing you. Can you not doctor your food ( obviously not the food you are going to eat) with ex lax or something?. That way whoever is stealing your food will have a good dose of the squirts and be on the loo all day.....haha. I really cannot abide thieves!.

ReputationRep:
    An update this morning was spoke to by person in next room who left his mp3 speakers down in kitchen last night(they are expensive ones) and this morning they have gone and the warden and everyone he spoke to hasnt seen them

So yes looks like a thief is in the house.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a gun, it's the only true way to protect yourself from everything, including STIs

Seriously, maybe contact the people in charge of the halls about it? Find an excuse to enter the stoners room and scope it out, see if he has a hidden bag with a dollar sign on it maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AustralAlien)
    Buy a gun, it's the only true way to protect yourself from everything, including STIs

Seriously, maybe contact the people in charge of the halls about it? Find an excuse to enter the stoners room and scope it out, see if he has a hidden bag with a dollar sign on it maybe?
    I'd get some CCTV installed , maybe a covert hidden camera there to gather some hard evidence of someone stealing stuff - if you could get that then he'd have a much harder time defending himself.Then after that go to the police but I'd concentrate on gathering evidence first - he'll be facing multiple charges and fairly serious jail time if it's made to stick.

ReputationRep:
    You've proof of the parcel being signed for by someone else, haven't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyroo_g)
    You've proof of the parcel being signed for by someone else, haven't you?
    Yep but with a name of no one that lives here.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to get the police involved. Failing that, I think you ought to speak again to your landlord, and if they refuse to do anything, ask to make a complaint/speak to their manager.

In the meantime, try to keep everything in your room, wherever possible. Maybe you could purchase a small fridge to keep your nice/expensive food in, and just keep the generic food stuffs in the communal fridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    I think you need to get the police involved. Failing that, I think you ought to speak again to your landlord, and if they refuse to do anything, ask to make a complaint/speak to their manager.

In the meantime, try to keep everything in your room, wherever possible. Maybe you could purchase a small fridge to keep your nice/expensive food in, and just keep the generic food stuffs in the communal fridge?
    Yeah I now keep a lot in my room and have moved things about to different fridges so less has gone missing, and since I spoke to everyone last week saying I was angry at food being nicked nothings been taken.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I now keep a lot in my room and have moved things about to different fridges so less has gone missing, and since I spoke to everyone last week saying I was angry at food being nicked nothings been taken.

Well that's a good start. Also, I really think you should take my advice regarding threating your landlord with taking it higher. They'll either do something about it, or put you in contact with someone who will (hopefully) take it a little more seriously.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    u can get these little camera things from argos

they're used for babies... bit like hose baby monitors...
    set a trap, like a whole load of crisps or a watch or somethign and hide the camera somewhere, and then u can see who's taking stuff, there's a handset with a screen

meanwhile, go to the police:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I know you didn't have a great experience with the police last time, but you may as well report it to them. The camera thing is a good plan too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.