Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothingspek)
    So it's alright if they do it to other people's kids then, as long as it's not happening to your's? It's a bit like "I don't care if it happens as long as it's not in my own backyard".
    That's not what I mean. No its not alright for him to masturbate over someone else's kid. I understand that 'he' has this fetish for children, but when its made to an individual child rather than his imaginings of a child's body, is when I'm uncomfortable with it. I wouldn't want my child to be the fantasy of a paedophile, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone else's. Wouldn't you feel uncomfortable if it was your kid?
    I mean think of how some dads can be protective over their daughters with their first boyfriend, because they know what teenage boys have going through their mind.. So think how they would feel if they knew a paedophile was having these same feelings before the daughter even could even spell 'boyfriend'.

ReputationRep:
    OMG. You're so lucky! I wish I had him next door. Barbecues in the summer, swimming in the pool, going to the park to scope out the play area. Damn you! Go rejoice you lucky sod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shake 'n Bake)
    If he was still alive then I wouldn't want him harmed, but just because he went to prison doesn't mean he won't do it again.
    Just because someone has no previous convictions, doesn't mean they won't go on a killing spree. The argument doesn't follow.

ReputationRep:
    I do know that, I think you missed the point.

ReputationRep:
    Dude that's like my ooooold piano teacher. He used to put 50p coins in his pocket and say 'You can have it, but you have to go in my pocket to get it'.

I'd stare in horror at my friend who would have the lesson next (we were only like 9 at the time), and she didn't even seem phased by it! Naiiiiive, or whattt. D:

ReputationRep:
    I would be more peeved if it had turned out he had worked at a school/anywhere with kids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Tbh, for some reason it kinda sounds to me like your friend made the feelings up because she's embarrassed about having been around a paedophile when younger (although not so embarrassed that she would keep this 'interesting' fact secret), so is pretending that she felt in her heart that there was something wrong about him. Unless he was being blatantly creepy, or her parents (or friend/his daughter) acted weird/awkward around him, a small child would not have noticed anything wrong. You can't 'sense' paedophilia. :nah:
    Yeah I know, I was just saying that sometimes you can get an instinct about something, usually this instinct is because of certain things or moods, you can't necessarily put your finger on, especially when you're a child and you wouldn't really understand. children can be fairly receptive, especially with things they don't recognise as 'everyday' or find unfamilliar

ReputationRep:
    He had the right to live wherever he wanted but we had a right to know. One persons right shouldn't be valued over another and that is essentially what has happened.
    You had a right to know... why? So the lynch mob could move in?

If you go around putting up notices around some one's house saying "Convicted Child Molester Lives Here! Lock up your daughters!" people would go nuts! The person living there would have their house torched within days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical-twist3)
    That's not what I mean. No its not alright for him to masturbate over someone else's kid. I understand that 'he' has this fetish for children, but when its made to an individual child rather than his imaginings of a child's body, is when I'm uncomfortable with it. I wouldn't want my child to be the fantasy of a paedophile, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone else's. Wouldn't you feel uncomfortable if it was your kid?
    I mean think of how some dads can be protective over their daughters with their first boyfriend, because they know what teenage boys have going through their mind.. So think how they would feel if they knew a paedophile was having these same feelings before the daughter even could even spell 'boyfriend'.
    So what's he supposed to do? It's natural to get aroused by whatever you're attracted to; may that be animals, people your own age, or people younger than yourself. As I've said, as long as he doesn't act on his feelings then I don't have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    What's stupid about being concerned? I am angry at the council not him (neccesarily). I am angry that they placed him next door to a childminder.
    What's stupid about that?
    Technically he wasn't next door though, you were in the middle, right? :yep:

It's weird that no one makes threads complaining that freed thieves are allowed to live near shops or rapists who did their time can walk on the same side of the street as women or that some suspected terrorist lives in a city where he could meet people who might fuel his ideas and corrupt his mind.
    Most criminals are given the benefit of doubt that their time spent paying for their crime is enough to allow them to be rehabilitated, but no paedophile can ever control their urges again.

ReputationRep:
    Errr so the OP has a picture of Michael Jackson in 'her' avatar, claims to have had a neigbour who was a paedo and then it says she's 8 years old on her profile? Nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    You'd not like it any more if he were masturbating over clothed pictures of your child, so that argument is moot.
    maybe I wasn't clear, that was my point..I'd be more bothered by him wanting the face in his fantasy, because that makes it an attraction to a particular child rather than just children/innocence

I understand that 'he' has this fetish for children, but when its made to an individual child rather than his imaginings of a child's body, is when I'm uncomfortable with it. I wouldn't want my child to be the fantasy of a paedophile, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone else's. Wouldn't you feel uncomfortable if it was your kid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    Just because someone has no previous convictions, doesn't mean they won't go on a killing spree. The argument doesn't follow.
    As far as I am aware, having an attraction to children is something that you are born with you can't just switch it off, so the two scenarios are totally different.

The guy posed a threat to children, yet he was placed next door to a childminder. It's like leaving a box of KFC next to Paul Weller or a dildo next to Katie Price, its too tempting to pass up.

A person with prior convictions of child molestation, poses more risk harm to children than someone who doesn't and I wish the council would've ensured that he be placed in a more suitable area.

ReputationRep:
    So what's he supposed to do? It's natural to get aroused by whatever you're attracted to; may that be animals, people your own age, or people younger than yourself. As I've said, as long as he doesn't act on his feelings then I don't have a problem.
    So you wouldn't be bothered if a he came up to you and said, "you don't mind if I think about your child when I masturbate?"

ReputationRep:
    So you wouldn't be bothered if a he came up to you and said, "you don't mind if I think about your child when I masturbate?"
    That's a ridiculous question because that would never happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Technically he wasn't next door though, you were in the middle, right? :yep:

It's weird that no one makes threads complaining that freed thieves are allowed to live near shops or rapists who did their time can walk on the same side of the street as women or that some suspected terrorist lives in a city where he could meet people who might fuel his ideas and corrupt his mind.
    Most criminals are given the benefit of doubt that their time spent paying for their crime is enough to allow them to be rehabilitated, but no paedophile can ever control their urges again.
    Are you new to TSR lol all those things are complained about all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SofinaaBabess)
    Errr so the OP has a picture of Michael Jackson in 'her' avatar, claims to have had a neigbour who was a paedo and then it says she's 8 years old on her profile? Nice.
    Michael Jackson isn't a paedophile though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    That's a ridiculous question because that would never happen.
    its a hypothetical question, of course he wouldn't ask, he'd go ahead and do it if he wanted. you seemed to be making out that being uncomfortable with this idea was silly, but if you knew that a paedophile was thinking about your child when he masturbates, would this make you feel uncomfortable?

edit: you said ''as long as he doesn't act on it I don't have a problem", but if it was your child he liked, surely you'd feel differently. Maybe now you could say you won't, but I reckon you'd most likely feel differently when you have a child.

ReputationRep:
    its a hypothetical question, of course he wouldn't ask, he'd go ahead and do it if he wanted. you seemed to be making out that being uncomfortable with this idea was silly, but if you knew that a paedophile was thinking about your child when he masturbates, would this make you feel uncomfortable?
    I wouldn't know about it so no it wouldn't make me feel uncomfortable. Hypothetical questions are useless in this too.

ReputationRep:
    Okay.... this has gone off tangent now. Could we just close the thread?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.