The Student Room Group

Shortlisting Universities

I'm from India , I have completed my 12th grade in state board with 95% . The course that I have decided is based around Computer Science or Mathematics and I have got pretty good amount of ECs . I couldn't decide upon unis I really need help with that
Original post by shoaib31
I'm from India , I have completed my 12th grade in state board with 95% . The course that I have decided is based around Computer Science or Mathematics and I have got pretty good amount of ECs . I couldn't decide upon unis I really need help with that

What aspects of the university (and/or course) are important to you?

Reputation? League table rankings? Social life? Sports facilities? Student satisfaction? Graduate prospects? Ease of entry? Accommodation? Location? Cost? Something else?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What aspects of the university (and/or course) are important to you?

Reputation? League table rankings? Social life? Sports facilities? Student satisfaction? Graduate prospects? Ease of entry? Accommodation? Location? Cost? Something else?

I would say League table ranking>Graduate prospects>Ease of Entry>Reputation ( Its in the order of most prior to less prior)
Thanking you for your valuable time
Original post by shoaib31
I would say League table ranking>Graduate prospects>Ease of Entry>Reputation ( Its in the order of most prior to less prior)
Thanking you for your valuable time

Although I realise that you're in India, I'm assuming that you're interested in UK universities (as you're posting on a .co.uk web site). Please disregard all of the below if you actually looking at universities elsewhere.

OK, there are a few league tables. They each use different criteria and so generate different rankings. The rankings also move around a little (and sometimes a lot) each year, so it's good to avoid just looking at the most recent rankings, in case those are actually an anomaly. You'll probably want to use the course-specific rankings rather than the university-level rankings, so you don't end-up shortlisting universities which are great generally, but which are poor for Computer Science and/or Maths.

See the following subject-level league tables for Computer Science:
The Complete University Guide
The Guardian
QS World University Rankings

See the following subject-level league tables for Mathematics:
The Complete University Guide
The Guardian
QS World University Rankings

Do read about the different methodologies used by each of the above providers - they can use very different source data.

Once you've picked-out some courses and universities, you can find a lot of information (including student satisfaction, entry information and graduate prospects) via https://discoveruni.gov.uk/.
I wouldn't put much trust on the league tables. They rank St Andrews absurdly high in most subjects, and universities like Imperial,and Manchester which are very well known and competitive for computer science are ranked below relatively obscure unis like Aberdeen and Stirling. Edinburgh is ranked 23th on the complete university guide when it has the highest research output in CS and is a top employer choice. I would say that, in terms of prestige for Computer Science, these are the most well known universities in the UK:In order of ranking. These unis are all prestigious, and have competitive UG admissions for CS.
Tier 1
Cambridge
Imperial/Oxford

Tier 2
UCL
Warwick
Edinburgh
Manchester

Tier 3
Bristol
Durham
St Andrews