Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Getting a little down.. watch

Announcements

Hello, i'm just feeling a little down at the moment because of my knees and other things.

I had to give up my job because of my knees and the physio reccommended to stop. I'm spending longer than i spent at that job doing exercises daily now :/
    I spend about 20 mins on each exercise now, and have to do 5 times daily..it's soo annoying..

They stop me from exercising and i need to loose weight but can't because of them :/

I also hate being small for a male, (5 5)

Meh it feels like everything is going wrong, i have no confidence in my current state.

My parents just argue and then complain because i can't talk or anything, but not hard to work out when thery just f and blind all the time and sleep in different rooms and suspect of cheating...

Sorry for this rant, but i need advice that could help me please.

I am doing my AS's this year.:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    5'5 isnt that small, and you could still grow a few more inches.

When i got my knees xrayed the orthapedic guy said my growth plates had closed in my legs

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with your knees exactly? Is it something you'll have all your life, or is it just temporary?

I have Patella Baja and some uneven muscle development, and he isn't sure, it might be.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest you keep up with the exercises and try not to get too downheartened. I know how restricting it can be too have dodgy knees as I've had a lot of trouble, and it can hinder you a lot in normal day activities

As for the job, cant you get another job, an office one perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    You really have my sympathy. *hugs*

It can't be easy trying to handle your parents on top of everything else. Is there anything you can do just for *you*, like writing or drawing or something, just to escape from it all for a while?

I would suggest you keep up with the exercises and try not to get too downheartened. I know how restricting it can be too have dodgy knees as I've had a lot of trouble, and it can hinder you a lot in normal day activities

As for the job, cant you get another job, an office one perhaps?
    Aww, hope yours are ok now, if you don't mind me asking what was wrong with them?

Yeah it is depressing and stops you wanting to go out with friends as you can't keep up with them.:rolleyes:

She said it wasn't good with my knees down like you do when you sit down, so i should get a job with a mixture of the two, however that's easier said than done..Thanks though

It is depressing having to spend my breaks and lunches doing my exercises in a private room!

(Original post by subtle_aurora)
    You really have my sympathy. *hugs*

It can't be easy trying to handle your parents on top of everything else. Is there anything you can do just for *you*, like writing or drawing or something, just to escape from it all for a while?
    Aww thanks, your post made me smile I don't know about things to "escape" it really, i love bodybuilding but stopped because i don't want to stunt my growth.

I suppose i like video games, as it it like escaping to another world where i can be successful.

I also am really enjoying my AS subjects, and like guitar playing and love Psychology in general.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Forgot to add, and can't edit anon posts : Does anyone have any idea how much you can grow once your growth plates in your legs have closed, i.e from the others also?

Thanks in advance

Anyone??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello, i'm just feeling a little down at the moment because of my knees and other things.

I had to give up my job because of my knees and the physio reccommended to stop. I'm spending longer than i spent at that job doing exercises daily now :/
    I spend about 20 mins on each exercise now, and have to do 5 times daily..it's soo annoying..

They stop me from exercising and i need to loose weight but can't because of them :/

I also hate being small for a male, (5 5)

Meh it feels like everything is going wrong, i have no confidence in my current state.

My parents just argue and then complain because i can't talk or anything, but not hard to work out when thery just f and blind all the time and sleep in different rooms and suspect of cheating...

Sorry for this rant, but i need advice that could help me please.

I am doing my AS's this year.:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.
    You get used to it. Don't let it get you down, it's something you have no control over.

(Original post by marshey)
    You get used to it. Don't let it get you down, it's something you have no control over.
    How can you get used to it when you hate it, any tips? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    How can you get used to it when you hate it, any tips? :confused:
    If you're talking about being small, then it's really not a huge issue. I'm a bit taller than you, but still smaller than practically all of my friends. But the key thing is, you'll be bigger than most girls so I really doubt it will effect you in the future. Plus, you WILL grow some more. But the best thing to remember is that looks aren't everything, and I take height into account there.

The last thing I'd say, is if anyone tries to take the piss because of your height, make a joke of it too. Then they won't do it again. Seriously, it works.

Hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    Height isn't everything. (:

I'm kind of small, but I'm female so it doesn't seem much of an issue. My bf sometimes says he thinks he's short in comparison to his friends but I'd love him no matter what height he was. Anyone who judges you by your height isn't worth knowing, imo. As for everything else... It's hard to accept things that get you down, but at the end of the day things could be worse. It sounds harsh sometimes, but I guess it's true. Keep smiling.

(Original post by marshey)
    If you're talking about being small, then it's really not a huge issue. I'm a bit taller than you, but still smaller than practically all of my friends. But the key thing is, you'll be bigger than most girls so I really doubt it will effect you in the future. Plus, you WILL grow some more. But the best thing to remember is that looks aren't everything, and I take height into account there.

The last thing I'd say, is if anyone tries to take the piss because of your height, make a joke of it too. Then they won't do it again. Seriously, it works.

Hope that helped.
    Thanks for the advice, it helped, but was wondering what kind of joke? I don't know what i can laugh about my height? I guess i am so insecure about it...

(Original post by subtle_aurora)
    Height isn't everything. (:

I'm kind of small, but I'm female so it doesn't seem much of an issue. My bf sometimes says he thinks he's short in comparison to his friends but I'd love him no matter what height he was. Anyone who judges you by your height isn't worth knowing, imo. As for everything else... It's hard to accept things that get you down, but at the end of the day things could be worse. It sounds harsh sometimes, but I guess it's true. Keep smiling.
    Cheers
    When i was telling a friend about my growth plates closed in my legs she said "oh so you'l be small for the rest of your life?" She didn't mean to offend me but that made me feel so bad...

It could be worse, but everything at the moment just add to how i feel.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies though

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. Maybe you could find an online group (or a real life one!) for people with similar problems?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, it helped, but was wondering what kind of joke? I don't know what i can laugh about my height? I guess i am so insecure about it...
    I can't really give you an example, but if you are able to laugh at yourself then you'll feel a lot better for it. Plus, from my experience, people will like you more as they know you're an approachable person who doesn't take themselves too seriously.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.