The Student Room Group

What does Pride / being LGBTQ+ mean to you?

Hey everyone! I hope you're having a great June PRIDE MONTH! :woo: :nyan:

This month, I want to know - what does Pride / being LGBTQ+ mean to you?

For me, it means celebrating my coming out as bisexual, which was exactly 6 months ago at the start of this year's Pride month. It means remembering my bravery and power that I had, so that now I can be completely true to myself and own my sexuality. I also like being fluid and completely open to different attraction! :yep:

What about you? Do you like celebrating with friends, does it mean joy, does it mean fight and protest?

Let us know in the comments below! :love:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's nice to see celebrations and parades, as well as others coming out. It feels special, especially at the start of the month. (Also, I found a guy who came to the wrong address really attractive :u:)
It means spreading awareness and celebrating how far we've come, but how far we still have to go. It's the feeling of community too, not feeling alone. It's also having fun with lots of colours :biggrin:
Original post by SagaciousSag
It's nice to see celebrations and parades, as well as others coming out. It feels special, especially at the start of the month. (Also, I found a guy who came to the wrong address really attractive :u:)

How exciting!! Will you be making a move? :tongue:

It really does feel special, I'm so glad it's recognised :yep:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
It means spreading awareness and celebrating how far we've come, but how far we still have to go. It's the feeling of community too, not feeling alone. It's also having fun with lots of colours :biggrin:

So true! It's really lovely how we can have such a feeling of community across the globe :yep:
It means appreciating how we've overcome/are overcoming our individual struggles as well as appreciating our community's struggles. It means celebrating every aspect of who we are. It means learning to accept our true selves a little bit more each day.

This is technically my second pride month, but it's the first that I'm fully out! I even came out to my Catholic mum a few months ago who ended up being a lot more accepting than I could ever have dreamed. I'm really excited cuz it'll also be my first time going to a pride parade and I bought my first pride flag for it. I'm just so happy that I've finally accepted my queer identity and I'm excited about being able to celebrate that with the people I love. :h:
I think Pride is about creating an atmosphere of positivity - without criticism or judgment - so that people can feel acceptance as a valuable member of society.

For me, its holding hands as I'm walk down the street with my partner and nobody noticing because the huge number of gays among us. Society can gradually become desensitised about homosexuality and diversity.

Pride is about smiling & sharing joy, because the alternative is crying.
Original post by kaorimiyazono
It means appreciating how we've overcome/are overcoming our individual struggles as well as appreciating our community's struggles. It means celebrating every aspect of who we are. It means learning to accept our true selves a little bit more each day.

This is technically my second pride month, but it's the first that I'm fully out! I even came out to my Catholic mum a few months ago who ended up being a lot more accepting than I could ever have dreamed. I'm really excited cuz it'll also be my first time going to a pride parade and I bought my first pride flag for it. I'm just so happy that I've finally accepted my queer identity and I'm excited about being able to celebrate that with the people I love. :h:

Oh I completely resonate with this :yep: I think its wonderful how we have a community to lean on through our collective and personal struggles. :love:

It's my third pride month, haven't been to a march yet though! I would love to, just haven't been able to find the date I can go to yet :redface:
Original post by Pythian
I think Pride is about creating an atmosphere of positivity - without criticism or judgment - so that people can feel acceptance as a valuable member of society.

For me, its holding hands as I'm walk down the street with my partner and nobody noticing because the huge number of gays among us. Society can gradually become desensitised about homosexuality and diversity.

Pride is about smiling & sharing joy, because the alternative is crying.

Absolutely. I love the fact that pride is, yes, a protest, but also a celebration. It's magical to see the wall get broken little by little each year for us :yep:
Original post by parmezanne
Hey everyone! I hope you're having a great June PRIDE MONTH! :woo: :nyan:

This month, I want to know - what does Pride / being LGBTQ+ mean to you?

For me, it means celebrating my coming out as bisexual, which was exactly 6 months ago at the start of this year's Pride month. It means remembering my bravery and power that I had, so that now I can be completely true to myself and own my sexuality. I also like being fluid and completely open to different attraction! :yep:

What about you? Do you like celebrating with friends, does it mean joy, does it mean fight and protest?

Let us know in the comments below! :love:

its joy to me
Just a month where companies bandwagon onto a legit cause for their own monetary gain when they don't actually care about the cause or hypocritical to it.
How exciting!! Will you be making a move? :tongue:

It really does feel special, I'm so glad it's recognised :yep:

Out of my age range and looking for someone else. But one can dream, right?
I get to be myself, and I love who I am!
Original post by Jess2346
its joy to me

Original post by sociologynerd8
I get to be myself, and I love who I am!

Lovely answers! :yep:
Original post by Guru Jason
Just a month where companies bandwagon onto a legit cause for their own monetary gain when they don't actually care about the cause or hypocritical to it.

Pride month existed long before companies decided to get in on it. As you can see from the other responses on here, I think it means a lot more than corporate rainbows! It's important not to center them, and to see it as something which liberates and celebrates queer people. :yep:
Lovely answers! :yep:

thank you
Being together and celebrating how far we've come :smile:
Summer, everyone happy, getting slightly tipsy, the opportunity for some fun with attractive women.
(edited 1 year ago)
For me it's a month where I wear my ABBA Pride T-shirt a lot and my dad compliments it, thinking it's just the ABBA logo in rainbow colours, not realising it's a Pride T-shirt :ahee: (He's v v homophobic but is completely oblivious to the rainbow connection, haha)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
For me it's a month where I wear my ABBA Pride T-shirt a lot and my dad compliments it, thinking it's just the ABBA logo in rainbow colours, not realising it's a Pride T-shirt :ahee: (He's v v homophobic but is completely oblivious to the rainbow connection, haha)

A hidden rainbow :ahee: I think we can all probably relate to that one :lol: feels so sneaky and I love it!!

Fun fact: I was wearing rainbow earrings when I came out, they are 7 little beads down a line in the colours of the rainbow :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending