The Student Room Group

Whose fault is this - hypothetical situation

I posted this as part of another post, but only briefly, so we'll discuss it in detail here.

Person x gets bullied quite badly. So he takes all his anger, frustration and pain out by bullying person y.

Person y then suffers for the rest of his life as a result of what person x did.

Whose fault is it that person y got bullied? Is it the fault of the people who bullied x, or is it x's fault for getting bullied or not getting help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're both to blame. :smile:
Reply 2
It's unfair on person Y though, who gets the collateral effect
Reply 3
person x
god s/he should just learn to control their emotions instead of taking it out in innocent person y
no one was forcing them to do it
Reply 4
Whoops, I misread the situation. Somehow, I thought person Y bullied person X. In that case, both person X and his/her bullies are to blame.
I never did understand algebra.
Reply 6
person x should stop bein a bitch.
Reply 7
nemnem
person x
god s/he should just learn to control their emotions instead of taking it out in innocent person y
no one was forcing them to do it

its hard when you're a victim though, i think lots of people end up becoming bullies themselves, its out of their control
what a rediculous question - person x
Reply 9
why is it ridiculous?

i would say its the fault of the people who bullied person x in the first place, as that led to him bullying person y...
Were x's bullies bullied before him? Because then it would be their fault...

Anyway, if not, X should know better having experienced it first hand to inflict it on someone else, X's bullies were too ignorant to know i suppose..
Reply 11
gapyear111
its hard when you're a victim though, i think lots of people end up becoming bullies themselves, its out of their control

it's never out of their control
it's not like someone was holding a gun to their head
you always have the choice., you can't go on blaming others for your actions They should have known better than anyone the damage it does
depends what way you look at it. from one p.o.v. you could say it was the fault of x's bullies, assuming that x wouldn't have bullied y if it wasn't for them. so it's their fault the x and y thing even happened.

but it's not as if every person who is bullied goes onto bully others, therefore it is also x's fault.

controversially you could even say it was also y's fault in some way depending on why they were targetted by x.
Reply 13
The person who bullied person x in the first place is to blame for the psychological damage he gave person x, however person x should have control over his actions, and should know better that bullying is damaging and also how bullying feels. Bullying someone else is only going to make matters worse. People should have empathy, he knows how it feels. Therefore it's his fault mostly, nobody has made him bully someone else, only provoked him and people should have control over their own reciprocating actions.
person x and his/her bully are equally to blame
when you think about it everything has a knock off effect so really it is a combination of not only x, x's bullies, and y but also a, b, c, and a whole host of other people probably. haha.
Reply 16
yeah, it all goes back to the beginning of mankind...
Which are you OP? X or Y?
You should be ashamed! :O :P
Only kidding, ermm, Im not sure, I guess it's boths fault because bullying is horrible, it shouldn't happen in the first place and just because someones bullied it doesn't mean they should bully someone else! In any sense they should refrain from treating someone like this because they know how it feels.!
Reply 18
I am person Y unfortunately
Reply 19
any more feedback?

Latest

Trending

Trending