The Student Room Group

Self teaching new a-levels???

Ok well im going to fail two a levels but one which is actually a BTEC but I’m considering on taking two extra years to change two of my subjects. I am thinking of doing sociology and religious studies as it fascinates me a lot but I’m also doing well in my BTEC health and social care which I’ve been thriving in so I’m thinking of also doing an extended version in a college of course to give me more knowledge as it interests me a lot but I want a levels on the side and they’re not too hard so I should be ok. This just means I’ll be going to Uni at 20 which makes me feel old.
Hey what do you want to do at university?
But also I have several questions :
1. How do I self study these two subjects?
2. Are they relatively difficult?
3. I haven’t been motivated for these past two years as I have had mental health issues which has made me feel less motivated and if I self studied I’d be more motivated due to my independence. Can I get somewhere with self teaching? Could I reach A’s?
4. How do I sit exams as a private candidate?
5. Do I have to just revise , study and then sit the exam in two years time?
Original post by Aathira N
Hey what do you want to do at university?

Well, I’m not particularly sure. I just know I want to work for the NHS. Possibly Nursing or Therapy (but self employed if that’s the case).
Original post by Anonymous
But also I have several questions :
1. How do I self study these two subjects?
2. Are they relatively difficult?
3. I haven’t been motivated for these past two years as I have had mental health issues which has made me feel less motivated and if I self studied I’d be more motivated due to my independence. Can I get somewhere with self teaching? Could I reach A’s?
4. How do I sit exams as a private candidate?
5. Do I have to just revise , study and then sit the exam in two years time?

To answer (2)
I havent self studied a levels but at my college you are able to do both religious studies and sociology in one year (compared to 2) if you decided to drop a A level in year 13. Ive heard from staff that they are 'easier' than other subjects to learn from scratch since they don't require foundation knowledge/synoptic things. Basically, you can do year 2 content whilst still learning year 1 content- hence a one year course.
To answer (2)
I havent self studied a levels but at my college you are able to do both religious studies and sociology in one year (compared to 2) if you decided to drop a A level in year 13. Ive heard from staff that they are 'easier' than other subjects to learn from scratch since they don't require foundation knowledge/synoptic things. Basically, you can do year 2 content whilst still learning year 1 content- hence a one year course.

You can do them within 1 year? How can that be? I want to get an A hopefully and my focus is pretty bad but it’s worse in school environments as I am easily distracted. I probably have ADHD which is probably why I can’t maintain focus but if I get my own books and highlighters because I absolutely love highlighting 🤣 then I’m certain I’ll be ok. The thing is I’m doing my exams as I’m in year 13 and deep down I know I’m going to open failed grades because I haven’t tried my best which is partly my fault but I’ve had a rough two years. Now my family have no hopes for me which is depressing but I want to prove them wrong by getting good grades.
How do you find both subjects? What year are you in also?
What other subject do you do?
You can do them within 1 year? How can that be? I want to get an A hopefully and my focus is pretty bad but it’s worse in school environments as I am easily distracted. I probably have ADHD which is probably why I can’t maintain focus but if I get my own books and highlighters because I absolutely love highlighting 🤣 then I’m certain I’ll be ok. The thing is I’m doing my exams as I’m in year 13 and deep down I know I’m going to open failed grades because I haven’t tried my best which is partly my fault but I’ve had a rough two years. Now my family have no hopes for me which is depressing but I want to prove them wrong by getting good grades.
How do you find both subjects? What year are you in also?
What other subject do you do?

I don't do the subjects but my friend does, they originally did Maths, Further maths and R.E. They got a B,E,A in their year 12 mocks so college forced them to drop further maths and do sociology in one year. We're both in year 13 now btw. So they basically had 4 hours of lesson a week for Maths/R.E but 8 hours a week of sociology (4 hours of year 12 content and 4 hours of year 13 content). From what he said, R.E is great is your interested in the topic (they're quite religious) but there's a lot to remember. Sociology they say is really easy in terms of content- its the actual exam which is the issue since it's full of loooooooong essays. They loathe sociology but find that it's an easy grade. I think you could definitely self study those subjects cuz my friend just read all the content in advance during the summer holidays (all the stuff teachers use is accessible to students online at my college) and they've been cruising in sociology.

I relate spiritually to your love of highlighting! We never know what's going to happen so lets remain optimistic for the exams. I have the opposite to your issue- my parents have way too high of hopes for me. They think i'm gonna get A*s when i've been getting Bs. Im so scared of letting them (and myself) down but it issssss what it issssss.
I don't do the subjects but my friend does, they originally did Maths, Further maths and R.E. They got a B,E,A in their year 12 mocks so college forced them to drop further maths and do sociology in one year. We're both in year 13 now btw. So they basically had 4 hours of lesson a week for Maths/R.E but 8 hours a week of sociology (4 hours of year 12 content and 4 hours of year 13 content). From what he said, R.E is great is your interested in the topic (they're quite religious) but there's a lot to remember. Sociology they say is really easy in terms of content- its the actual exam which is the issue since it's full of loooooooong essays. They loathe sociology but find that it's an easy grade. I think you could definitely self study those subjects cuz my friend just read all the content in advance during the summer holidays (all the stuff teachers use is accessible to students online at my college) and they've been cruising in sociology.

I relate spiritually to your love of highlighting! We never know what's going to happen so lets remain optimistic for the exams. I have the opposite to your issue- my parents have way too high of hopes for me. They think i'm gonna get A*s when i've been getting Bs. Im so scared of letting them (and myself) down but it issssss what it issssss.

Oh, okay. If you don't mind me asking, what do you study? How are you finding a-levels? It's so stressful, right??Also what do you want to do in Uni?

I wish you all the best though!!
Oh, wow, that's impressive your friend could do sociology in a year!! Yes, I am religious (not as much as I was but I'm getting back into my religion) and that will hopefully help. I'm quite interested in what other religions and beliefs there are as well. I'm thinking of just keeping my BTEC Health and Social care which is equivalent to one or one and a half a-level (I am not 100% sure) and then just studying two a-levels for a year which is RS and Sociology. It seems tricky but perhaps worth it so I can get into Uni faster. But if I do need two years I can just do the extra if I struggle but I highly doubt I'll struggle. I'm going to be revising from July and then I'm ahead in the game! :smile:

Awww, well, even if you get lower grades to what your parents expect then it's okay! As long as you know you've tried and done your best, that's all you can do and you should be proud! <3 Also Bs are pretty good grades!! Who knows, you may get an A or A* in the real exams! Good luck xoxo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending