Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the position of choosing A levels or IB. Because my school just opened a new sixth form that does IB and not A levels. Can someone help me make my mind up. What's more easier and what's more beneficial?

Also in the IB Diploma Programme why is Psychology in Group 3 (Individuals and society) and not in group 4 (the sciences)?

If I want to take on Medicine in the future do I have to take maths because I just absolutely hate it.

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do A levels, i had this same dilemma last year. It's easier to get all As in A level than it is to get full marks on the IB I think.
    Also, I dont think you need to do maths after GCSE to become a doctor, just chemistry and another science.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks, it just that my teachers are all telling me to do the IB and i'm just stuck at the edge of a cliff. Also why does Psychology come under group 3 isn't it a science subject???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GFX-K)
    Ok thanks, it just that my teachers are all telling me to do the IB and i'm just stuck at the edge of a cliff. Also why does Psychology come under group 3 isn't it a science subject???

It isn't a traditional science.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is viewed as a social science. Take A-levels, MUCH easier, and if you already know what you want to do then you have fewer distractions. IB screws you over because you have random subjects unrelated to your interests which you need to take.

Hooooooooowever, the IB does prepare you MUCH better for university than A-levels, in terms of workload, independence of study, pressure, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks everybody, I'm deciding to take A Levels...does Psychology come under science in A levels? Because to do Medcine, Dentistry...etc you need to choose at least 2 sciences I've heard. I want to take Biology for sure but what about Psychology is that a science in A level?

ReputationRep:
    You have to take chemistry if you want to study medicine.
    psych is a sort of science, but if i were you i would take 2 traditional sciences and maybe psych as well if your interested in it.

ReputationRep:
    OP, while A-levels are definitely easier than the IB, I would strongly advise you to do the latter. Academically, it isn't significantly harder than A-levels, unless you're taking either Maths HL or Physics HL, but it requires a level of commitment and effort that prepares you exceptionally well for university. I am now studying medicine and am quite confident in saying there was less of a gap between highschool and university because I did the IB.

If you have a problem with Maths, you can do Maths SL, which is a rather basic course. I know people who got offers to study medicine having done maths at this level.

ReputationRep:
    A kind of mix between the two (a levels and IB) is the AQA bacc.
    its relatively new still, but is a stand alone qualification.

Basically you have to do at least 3 as levels plus an as level in general studies or critical thinking, an extended research piece and "personal development" - work realated learning, community service or a new skill.
    If your school/college doesnt offer it at the moment, you could ask your teachers to look into it, its very easy to register for it.(my psych teacher registered a week ago for 5 of us in her class)

ReputationRep:
    What school is it my school just started the IB aswell (Tollbar-bec)

I take the IB and it is a lot of fun and gives you and edge...if you ever change your mind you have back up subjects to fall onto... It really depends on you though...I have friends doing A-Levels and love it. Just depends but do what you want not what others want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArticFlames)
    What school is it my school just started the IB aswell (Tollbar-bec)

I take the IB and it is a lot of fun and gives you and edge...if you ever change your mind you have back up subjects to fall onto... It really depends on you though...I have friends doing A-Levels and love it. Just depends but do what you want not what others want.
    This.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.