The Student Room Group

Withdrawing after firming a university as an international

Hey everyone,

I haven’t decided whether or not to take a gap year, so I’m thinking of firming my first choice, St Andrews, and then withdrawing my offer later if I decide not to go. I understand that UK students have the option to withdraw from their firm on results day. However, as an international, my results come out before the UK results day, so it seems like my place would be confirmed before then, too.

How and when could I go about withdrawing as an international? Could I withdraw on the usual UK results day or would I have to decide before St Andrews gets my results? I will likely be reapplying to St Andrews next year and so would like to upset them as little as possible.

I’d really appreciate any insight on this.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sterling1414



How and when could I go about withdrawing as an international? Could I withdraw on the usual UK results day or would I have to decide before St Andrews gets my results? I will likely be reapplying to St Andrews next year and so would like to upset them as little as possible.



You can either Decline both your Firm and Insurance on UCAS - but you could also just defer you offers (2023 entry) and still have the St Andrews place to go to to without needing to reapply, and if you want to do this, its best to do it now and you just need to email the Uni to request it.

Quick Reply