Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been playing this a while now and a few things have been annoying me on the technical side.

Firstly, aren't mortars supposed to explode? Mine never explode and my ammo for it never goes down. They just land and produce a bit of smoke... ?

Secondly, I can never heal my buddies. I only have the choice of shooting them or abandoning them, even when I have loads of health things left.

Thirdly, my "buddies" keep shooting me when I go to help them out.

Anyone else had problems??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I've been playing this a while now and a few things have been annoying me on the technical side.

Firstly, aren't mortars supposed to explode? Mine never explode and my ammo for it never goes down. They just land and produce a bit of smoke... ?

Secondly, I can never heal my buddies. I only have the choice of shooting them or abandoning them, even when I have loads of health things left.

Thirdly, my "buddies" keep shooting me when I go to help them out.

Anyone else had problems??
    I didn't notice any of those problems (though I never even tried mortars...). You can only heal your buddy when the "coast is clear" so to speak, I found. That might be your trouble there. None of them ever tried to shoot me.

That said, I've not given FarCry 2 a 2nd look since I got Fallout 3 and RA3. It just doesn't stand up against other games that have been released recently in my opinion. Massive disappointment. I guess it really says something that one of my main gripes about FarCry was the rubbish ragdolls and the lack of visible injuries on people you shoot (shoot someone in the face with a sniper rifle and go over to them... they look fresh as a daisy. Just dead.) and Fallout 3 lets you shoot someone's face off and then dismember their torso with a hunting knife. It's just altogether more satisfying really. Only fun thing about FarCry is starting fires, and even that got a bit old fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Sit?)
    I didn't notice any of those problems (though I never even tried mortars...). You can only heal your buddy when the "coast is clear" so to speak, I found. That might be your trouble there. None of them ever tried to shoot me.

That said, I've not given FarCry 2 a 2nd look since I got Fallout 3 and RA3. It just doesn't stand up against other games that have been released recently in my opinion. Massive disappointment. I guess it really says something that one of my main gripes about FarCry was the rubbish ragdolls and the lack of visible injuries on people you shoot (shoot someone in the face with a sniper rifle and go over to them... they look fresh as a daisy. Just dead.) and Fallout 3 lets you shoot someone's face off and then dismember their torso with a hunting knife. It's just altogether more satisfying really. Only fun thing about FarCry is starting fires, and even that got a bit old fast.
    I always tried to heal them after I completed the mission (which presumably means everyone's been killed).

For me, Far Cry 2 is good but it really doesn't make the most of its potential. I personally don't mind a lack of dismemberment - I can just play soldier of fortune 2 for that :p: My biggest gripes are the lack of story/character development and the repetitiveness of the missions. They're all "go here, do this, come back".

I wish FEAR 2 would come out already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I always tried to heal them after I completed the mission (which presumably means everyone's been killed).

For me, Far Cry 2 is good but it really doesn't make the most of its potential. I personally don't mind a lack of dismemberment - I can just play soldier of fortune 2 for that :p: My biggest gripes are the lack of story/character development and the repetitiveness of the missions. They're all "go here, do this, come back".

I wish FEAR 2 would come out already!
    Yeah that too... all of the missions are identical, and there's a lot of travelling with absolutely nowt to do along the way except kill guard post guards that you've already killed 10 times before. It did have loads of potential. With a better storyline, more realistic damage system, more diverse missions and a bit more action it could have been great.

ReputationRep:
    Far Cry 2 is great. Not quite 10/10 great, or even 9/10 great (inasmuch as a good deal of its underlying potential has evidently, perhaps inevitably, gone unrealised); but the A.I. alone - when not commandeering vehicles and driving directly into your machinegun-equipped technical truck, or betraying the occasional ludicrous non sequitur - is a monumental achievement: enemies actively flank, use suppressing-fire, duck to reduce their profile in response to incoming bullets, and move from cover to cover whilst gradually closing in for the kill (or, in the case of snipers, maintaining distance); indeed, I once discharged a volley of rounds from my sniper-rifle towards an aggressor, only for him to abruptly reverse his course and take refuge behind the nearest tree. They're observant without seeming psychic: assailants will proceed to your last known location rather than homing-in telepathically, foliage and undergrowth are equally effective a means of concealment as 'hard' cover, and whether or not a marksman can spot you from afar depends as much on the precise direction in which he's facing as on the presence of the aforementioned. They even deliberate audibly (and plausibly) among themselves on whether to investigate a disturbance or hold position, thus enabling you to anticipate their next move and tailor your approach accordingly.

It isn't perfect, but a patch or modification to address the salient shortcomings (enhancing peripheral acuity/awareness, increasing their use of grenades, and introducing a mechanism for blind-firing from behind cover) would make this by far the most proficient combat A.I. since F.E.A.R.'s, and exponentially more impressive for its dynamic, open-world implementation: for this alone, I'd award the game a robust 8.5/10. That said, I'm basing my impression on the Xbox 360 version, which shares none of the glitches mentioned by Onearmedbandit, above (and of course, not having played Crysis, I can only speculate as to the relative sophistication of that game's sandbox A.I. - though, judging from what I've read, I suspect it may be rather inferior).

ReputationRep:
    Pffft, ditch it and play Fallout 3. Far superior game.

ReputationRep:
    ran far cry2 on maxed settings, turned DX10 on....... everything went pink and purple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    (cut out to save space)
    On the PC version, enemies will shoot at you while facing the other way, and will stare directly at my sniper rifle blankly as they try to reload before I pop them.

Also I was suspicious of the general perception of the AI. They seem to be able to see me crouched through a lot of foliage - certainly more than I'd ever be able to see them through. Perhaps this is a deliberate attempt to get you to buy that camo suit in the shop.

Another thing I was slightly disappointed with (as we've moved on from mere glitches) was the lack of reward for one's exploration. You might find a diamond or two, or even a hang glider, or find a nice view, but there wasn't anything that really drove me to go and explore the world. This is especially so as I could drive around the world for an hour and find 10 diamonds, or I could spend 10 minutes doing a side mission and get the same amount.

Perhaps if there were more diamonds spread around with more to spend them on, or special weapons, or vehicles, or most of all more interesting missions, that would've been better.

Also, did anyone else notice how quickly everyone talks in this game? It's almost like they were worried about saving file space so they got everyone to talk like my property law lecturer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgoth)
    ran far cry2 on maxed settings, turned DX10 on....... everything went pink and purple
    That's not a glitch. There's summat wrong with your video card drivers. Used to happen to me with BF2142, then I updated my drivers and it fixed it

ReputationRep:
    That's not a glitch. There's summat wrong with your video card drivers. Used to happen to me with BF2142, then I updated my drivers and it fixed it
    you say that, but i can run everything else in DX10 mode and maxed out, yet Farcry2 doesnt like it. and im on the latest drivers, well spose i can check it out, cheers for the suggestion

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.