The Student Room Group

Uni night life and making friends

Hey

I’m a 20 year old and I have taken a couple gap years and I’ve decided to go to uni this year. I am nervous about making friends as I will be slightly older than everyone else. I am kinda wanting to just enjoy my time at uni and want to experience things like going out and partying. I have firmed university of Greenwich but I am slightly worried that I may not fit in there.
Which universities are great for nights out and are very diverse as I am Indian and wouldn’t want to be the only Asian kid.
which course are you doing?
Original post by Aathira N
which course are you doing?

Economics
Original post by Anonymous
Hey

I’m a 20 year old and I have taken a couple gap years and I’ve decided to go to uni this year. I am nervous about making friends as I will be slightly older than everyone else. I am kinda wanting to just enjoy my time at uni and want to experience things like going out and partying. I have firmed university of Greenwich but I am slightly worried that I may not fit in there.
Which universities are great for nights out and are very diverse as I am Indian and wouldn’t want to be the only Asian kid.

I am obviously going for the degree but I haven’t really experienced going out and stuff. I am aware that you go to uni for a degree but I would be nice to experience everything.
I am obviously going for the degree but I haven’t really experienced going out and stuff. I am aware that you go to uni for a degree but I would be nice to experience everything.

Hi,

I recommend joining a society or sports club to help with experiencing the nightlife. Before going to university I never went clubbing before. I went clubbing with my Taekwon-do sports club back in my 1st Year. It made the whole experience a lot more fun. They were more familiar with clubbing and made sure I was doing okay throughout the night. It really helped that I knew them quite a bit through training sessions.

I hope this helps,
- Jesse, 3rd Year Student Ambassador
Hey

Heya,

I joined uni a year later than expected and felt the same. Once you get into uni life age really doesn't matter - some of the closest friends I've made are in their late 40s! I definitely recommend joining a society and joining them on their socials when you feel like it. It's a great way to make a tight group of friends with a common interest and make fun memories.

Regarding diversity, I would recommend visiting university campuses to see if you get a good vibe and feel like you are represented. That being said, some universities that are less diverse still have a strong sense of community, inclusivity and representation :smile:

Best of luck,
Rylee
3rd Year Student Ambassador
Advanced Applied Psychology
Hey I’m a 20 year old and I have taken a couple gap years and I’ve decided to go to uni this year. I am nervous about making friends as I will be slightly older than everyone else. I am kinda wanting to just enjoy my time at uni and want to experience things like going out and partying. I have firmed university of Greenwich but I am slightly worried that I may not fit in there. Which universities are great for nights out and are very diverse as I am Indian and wouldn’t want to be the only Asian kid.
Hi,I also took a gap year so started uni and was older than the rest of my class. I had no problems at all and did not feel left out. Uni aid for anyone of any age so please don't feel discouraged about being slightly older. It is very likely there will be other students who are also your age and older.All the bestKasey - ULaw Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest