The Student Room Group

Resit A level law, when?

I need at least a B in my A level law but i dont think ill achieve that. If i was looking to resit, then when could i expect to resit the exam? Would it be next year in June?

Scroll to see replies

Yes thats when all a level resits are
Reply 2
Original post by zasng45
Yes thats when all a level resits are

ok thanks, i think 1 year is plenty of time for me to fix my grades up
Original post by zik04._
ok thanks, i think 1 year is plenty of time for me to fix my grades up

more than enough and best of luck :smile:
Original post by zik04._
I need at least a B in my A level law but i dont think ill achieve that. If i was looking to resit, then when could i expect to resit the exam? Would it be next year in June?

For A levels in England from AQA, Eduqas, OCR and Pearson Edexcel it would be June 2023
For international A levels it could be Autumn 2022 or Summer 2023 - up to you.
Original post by gdunne42
For A levels in England from AQA, Eduqas, OCR and Pearson Edexcel it would be June 2023

do you have to pay for each exam you sit- how much would it be roughly for three papers?
Original post by spicycat
do you have to pay for each exam you sit- how much would it be roughly for three papers?

Depends on which subject, which examiner and whether it's England or International AL (or other e.g. Wales).
It depends on whether there's a practical or coursework component and whether you can keep your existing grade for them or have to redo them as well.
It also depends on when you book and pay for the exam entry. Late entries are 2-3 times the price.
For England it's a fee for the whole set of exams, for IAL there's a fee for each paper.
If you look on your examiners web site you should be able to find their exam entry fees.

This is only part of your cost though, the exam centre will charge for admin, use of facilities, invigilation and anything else they want to add on top for 'profit;. They can charge anything they like and prices vary widely. If there are no practical or coursework components, You should budget for at least double the exam entry fee unless your current school will do it. Start by asking your current school, if they will take you, they will probably be the cheapest option.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7

yeh im in England and looking to retake aqa a level law, i heard its in autumn 2022 by some people, and some say next year, next year would ideal. Do i just call my sixth form and ask them? What if they say no? How do i apply to resit the exam, i dont want to go to lessons, jus to resit the exams.
Original post by zik04._
yeh im in England and looking to retake aqa a level law, i heard its in autumn 2022 by some people, and some say next year, next year would ideal. Do i just call my sixth form and ask them? What if they say no? How do i apply to resit the exam, i dont want to go to lessons, jus to resit the exams.

There have been autumn resits recently but that has only been due to Covid and Teacher Assessed Grades.
There are no plans for Autumn resits this year.

If you need to resit, call your school, speak to the exams officer and see if they will take you.
If not https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-parent-support/private-candidates
Think you can either select to retake it in the summer or in the autumn retake exam series
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Funtimes01_
Think you can either select to retake it in the summer or in the autumn retake exam series

There is an autumn exam series for International A levels but not for AQA (or Edexcel or OCR) in England
Reply 11
There is an autumn exam series for International A levels but not for AQA (or Edexcel or OCR) in England

If I want to resit, do I still have to sit my exams this year anyways? And when is the deadline to notify the school about resits by, do I contact after results day?
Original post by zik04._
If I want to resit, do I still have to sit my exams this year anyways? And when is the deadline to notify the school about resits by, do I contact after results day?

As far as the examiners are concerned it does not matter if you complete this years exams or not. You would be allowed to enter for exams next year either way.
From your schools point of view, they are not going to be happy with you if you don't turn up for the rest of your exams. It might affect their willingness to support you with resits and possible UCAS support next year.
Your school may or may not allow you to resit, so talk to them after results to find out. If they won't you'll need to search for somewhere else that takes private candidate entries. You don't need to have it sorted out until Xmas.
Original post by Funtimes01_

This no longer exists.
It was there for resits during the pandemic only.
Reply 14
As far as the examiners are concerned it does not matter if you complete this years exams or not. You would be allowed to enter for exams next year either way.
From your schools point of view, they are not going to be happy with you if you don't turn up for the rest of your exams. It might affect their willingness to support you with resits and possible UCAS support next year.
Your school may or may not allow you to resit, so talk to them after results to find out. If they won't you'll need to search for somewhere else that takes private candidate entries. You don't need to have it sorted out until Xmas.

But I won’t be needing to stay in schooling, I’ll only be resitting, do you know the average cost for resitting one subject (a level law) and is it hard to find another place that will take entry?
Reply 15

so ive missed my law paper 2 exam because i knew i was going to fail and had already decided that i was going to resit, my sixthform called me and told me that i need to sit the exams anyways to get a "predicted grade" ??? is this right?? they also said they dont do resits and i will have to pay and resit in another centre, plz plz plz someone help me where can i find another centre and when do i have to apply by. I called aqa and they are not even picking up
Original post by zik04._
But I won’t be needing to stay in schooling, I’ll only be resitting, do you know the average cost for resitting one subject (a level law) and is it hard to find another place that will take entry?

Original post by zik04._
so ive missed my law paper 2 exam because i knew i was going to fail and had already decided that i was going to resit, my sixthform called me and told me that i need to sit the exams anyways to get a "predicted grade" ??? is this right?? they also said they dont do resits and i will have to pay and resit in another centre, plz plz plz someone help me where can i find another centre and when do i have to apply by. I called aqa and they are not even picking up

Would have been better if you'd assessed the impact of not turning up before you did it, but what's done is done. You are still going to get a grade for Law but it's going to be a pretty poor one based on just one result. You will still have to declare it on UCAS.

As a private candidate who is not in school you may not be able to get anyone to predict you a grade. This is not unusual and universities are used to receiving applications without predicted grades. Are your school saying they will give you a UCAS reference next year with predicted grades IF you take the rest of your exams? Such a condition is up to them.

AQA private candidate advice here
https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-parent-support/private-candidates
As I said you need it sorted out by about Xmas as entries have to be done early in the Spring term.

The current exam fee for Law is £107.75, but that could change for 2023.
The exam fee is only part of what you pay as the exam centre will add on extra fees for their services. You should budget for at least £200 and it could easily be more in some centres so you might want to shop around.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 17
Would have been better if you'd assessed the impact of not turning up before you did it, but what's done is done. You are still going to get a grade for Law but it's going to be a pretty poor one based on just one result. You will still have to declare it on UCAS.

As a private candidate who is not in school you may not be able to get anyone to predict you a grade. This is not unusual and universities are used to receiving applications without predicted grades. Are your school saying they will give you a UCAS reference next year with predicted grades IF you take the rest of your exams? Such a condition is up to them.

AQA private candidate advice here
https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-parent-support/private-candidates
As I said you need it sorted out by about Xmas as entries have to be done early in the Spring term.

The current exam fee for Law is £107.75, but that could change for 2023.
The exam fee is only part of what you pay as the exam centre will add on extra fees for their services. You should budget for at least £200 and it could easily be more in some centres so you might want to shop around.

thanks so much man i really appreciate it. Yeh im guessing i wont get a reference or predicted. Cam i ask for a reference on results day as i think thats when most people decide to resit as if they are dissapointed with their grades. Also, not related but, foundation year next year if i get in ill be 19, 1st year ill be 20, is 20 too old for 1st year to be living on campus?
Original post by zik04._
thanks so much man i really appreciate it. Yeh im guessing i wont get a reference or predicted. Cam i ask for a reference on results day as i think thats when most people decide to resit as if they are dissapointed with their grades. Also, not related but, foundation year next year if i get in ill be 19, 1st year ill be 20, is 20 too old for 1st year to be living on campus?

i would ask your school when you get your results if they'll help you with UCAS in 2023. Every school around me supports former students in this way. If not then you'll have to apply through ucas independently as well.

20 is not too old to start university or for living in student accommodation. Sure you'll be a bit more mature than some of the first time away from home 18 years olds but it really won't matter. There'll be lots of 19 yo starting at the same time and probably a good few 25+ depending on the course and uni.
Reply 19
i would ask your school when you get your results if they'll help you with UCAS in 2023. Every school around me supports former students in this way. If not then you'll have to apply through ucas independently as well.

20 is not too old to start university or for living in student accommodation. Sure you'll be a bit more mature than some of the first time away from home 18 years olds but it really won't matter. There'll be lots of 19 yo starting at the same time and probably a good few 25+ depending on the course and uni.

thanks, instead of applying thru ucas can i not just call them and explain why i dont have any predicted grades if my school doesnt give it (i doubt they will)

Quick Reply

Latest