The Student Room Group

Struggling with A-Levels a lot

Hi,

I’m in year 12 at the moment, but I’ve been in sixth form for two years now as I changed schools in September to do new subjects and restart year 12, and also to have a fresh start after a bad year in terms of mental health.

I started off pretty well this year but went to hospital in February and have been in and out for a while now. I was off school for a long time as I was recovering from surgery, and did not do any work in this time as I felt too lethargic and could not focus.

So it’s June and I’m pretty much in the same position as I was a year ago (very behind on work and stressing about end of year exams). I’m doing my best to catch up but I just cannot take anything in, I feel like a shell of my former self academically and I’m honestly getting tired of school, but it feels like a waste to have been in sixth form for 2 years and leaving now. I also worry that doing an apprenticeship will limit me to one career or that I would be better off getting a degree.

I really don’t know what to do :frown: I’ll see how I perform in the upcoming exams but if that doesn’t go well I’ll be completely lost. I’m also not looking forward to throwing my whole summer holiday away to properly catch up and be ready for year 13, but if I get decent grades this year I guess that will be motivation enough.

I’m not sure what I’m looking for with this post, I guess it’s more of a rant but it would be appreciated if anyone has any reassuring stories about apprenticeships working out, advice on how to cram for exams in 2-3 weeks, creative ways to revise or anything :smile:
That sounds pretty crap mate Im sorry you have to go through that. It's pretty normal to not know what to do at this age we are only 18 after all.
I'm gonna be honest, 2 weeks is not a lot of time to prepare for exams given that you are behind, you probably won't be too happy with your results. Good news is that you are in year 12 so you still have time. Be prepared to work during the summer. If you put in a shift during summer you'll be good to go for next year. A lot of people **** up year 12 (me included) just make sure to get your head in the game and don't get demoralised from **** results.
Best of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by What The Cluck
That sounds pretty crap mate Im sorry you have to go through that. It's pretty normal to not know what to do at this age we are only 18 after all.
I'm gonna be honest, 2 weeks is not a lot of time to prepare for exams given that you are behind, you probably won't be too happy with your results. Good news is that you are in year 12 so you still have time. Be prepared to work during the summer. If you put in a shift during summer you'll be good to go for next year. A lot of people **** up year 12 (me included) just make sure to get your head in the game and don't get demoralised from **** results.
Best of luck.

thanks I appreciate the reply, I am prepared for bad results of course, just a matter of how bad. But I’d be more than happy to work my ass off in summer providing it actually helps - The reason I wrote this post was because I was feeling defeated that I couldn’t memorise anything I was revising lmao. I hope you’re right though and I turn it around for next year.
Original post by m214123
Hi,

I’m in year 12 at the moment, but I’ve been in sixth form for two years now as I changed schools in September to do new subjects and restart year 12, and also to have a fresh start after a bad year in terms of mental health.

I started off pretty well this year but went to hospital in February and have been in and out for a while now. I was off school for a long time as I was recovering from surgery, and did not do any work in this time as I felt too lethargic and could not focus.

So it’s June and I’m pretty much in the same position as I was a year ago (very behind on work and stressing about end of year exams). I’m doing my best to catch up but I just cannot take anything in, I feel like a shell of my former self academically and I’m honestly getting tired of school, but it feels like a waste to have been in sixth form for 2 years and leaving now. I also worry that doing an apprenticeship will limit me to one career or that I would be better off getting a degree.

I really don’t know what to do :frown: I’ll see how I perform in the upcoming exams but if that doesn’t go well I’ll be completely lost. I’m also not looking forward to throwing my whole summer holiday away to properly catch up and be ready for year 13, but if I get decent grades this year I guess that will be motivation enough.

I’m not sure what I’m looking for with this post, I guess it’s more of a rant but it would be appreciated if anyone has any reassuring stories about apprenticeships working out, advice on how to cram for exams in 2-3 weeks, creative ways to revise or anything :smile:

It’s not over yet and sometimes cramming can work for some people and any revision is better than none!
make sure you understand key concepts and practice them with past paper questions and repeat areas you lose marks on.
I don’t know much about apprenticeships but there’s always the option of entering a college and doing an access course which usually said to be easier than a levels (could depend on subjects) and you can go to university if you are considering this route and you can do this at a later age if you find apprenticeships limiting or not for you. Hope you find an option that works for you :smile:
Go and talk to your Head of 6th or similar - today.

The step up to A evels is huge and some struggle with the adjustment needed.
They will be able to expalin all options to you and help you make thr right decision.

Quick Reply

Latest