Turn on thread page Beta

Silly to apply for a subject at uni you're not so good over a subject you are? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically for my AS levels I got ABCC, with an A in psychology and a C in law.

The A for psychology was actually the highest in my year (out of three classes) and I'm pretty good at it, but I have no interest in the subject at all. Whereas with law, which I do have a strong interest in I only got a C (I am retaking modules though, in an attempt to get a B)

I've applied to university to study law, although I'm not sure if I definitely want to persue a career in law, I just enjoy it a lot, and even if I don't further it as a career it's a good degree to have. I'm just scared I'm going to struggle really bad at university, if I've only got a C in the subject at AS level.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    I got ABCC my B is my subject for uni, kind of, resitting to make it an A

ReputationRep:
    Do a subject that interests you. That matters most. It's all well and good doing a psychology degree but if you drop out halfway through because it's boring then what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    im the same, im applying for politics but i got C at AS level, however modules were ABD (D nearly an E!) so i could have got it up to an A/B - haven't done any resits though because i moved college..

anyway, yeah, im the same shouldn't matter aslong as u work hard and do some work experience in your chosen subject

ReputationRep:
    I got BCC at AS, with the B in history, and the C's being in chemistry and biology. The chemistry one is actually only 1 mark away from being a D, but I'm applying for biomedical sciences. I've always seen history as my "fun" subject.. that I just happen to have a knack for.

(Original post by GrahamFromJeremyKyle)
    Basically for my AS levels I got ABCC, with an A in psychology and a C in law.

The A for psychology was actually the highest in my year (out of three classes) and I'm pretty good at it, but I have no interest in the subject at all. Whereas with law, which I do have a strong interest in I only got a C (I am retaking modules though, in an attempt to get a B)

I've applied to university to study law, although I'm not sure if I definitely want to persue a career in law, I just enjoy it a lot, and even if I don't further it as a career it's a good degree to have. I'm just scared I'm going to struggle really bad at university, if I've only got a C in the subject at AS level.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

OP if it helps I didn't even take law and I am applying for Law although I am not at uni yet but uni is different and everyone starts on a new level.

I doubt this helps.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has the most hilarious, most nonsensical title I have ever come across.

ReputationRep:
    i got AAC, A's in history and english lit, and C in french, i'm doing history and french, finding french quite hard but nothing i can't deal with it simply because i love it!

ReputationRep:
    I got AAB did the best in the college in the A subjects but i'm doing Biology cause i love it

I got 297 overall in Geography AS, but I'm doing French because it was always what I wanted, and had planned, to do. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think for a liiiittle bit after getting my results that maybe Geography could be an option, but if Law's what you really want to do, then go for it Apparently the A level is very different from the degree anyway, so I wouldn't read too much into your results.

ReputationRep:
    loads of people in uni doing law have never done it before, and some unis even prefer you not to have law at alevel, so i doubt the C in law AS matters.
    Just do what you enjoy, no point picking psychology because you're good at it, you dont want to do a subject for 3years which you're not interested in.

ReputationRep:
    I only have a B at AS in the subject I'm applying for at Uni. I want to do the subject because I enjoy it. That's all that matters for me. As long as your personal statement shows your passion for the subject, I should think you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    The first thing to remember is that A-Levels are no indicator. The second thing to remember is that in some subjects people will NEVER have done the A-Level. Thirdly, you're better off doing something you enjoy and WANT to be a part of than something you're 'naturally good at'.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.