The Student Room Group

Which course and unit to choose?

course I will apply for.
(edited 1 year ago)
You can only write one Persinal Statement - and of you try and include all of these different courses, it will look a mess.

Work out what you want to study and why before you make your application.
Remember you can stil do Acturial Science at postgrad level with a Maths degree - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/list/08603/msc-actuarial-science/ - and that a more general first degree like Maths is safer as you will probably change you mind about a specific career during your time at Uni. And btw, any course with a placement will add hugely to your graduate CV.

You need 5 UCAS choices - and if you apply to 5 high grade courses at only London or other top Unis, your chances of any offers are substantially reduced. Lots of advice about making choices in How to Avoid 5 Rejections - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Original post by Cyrilkmr
I am studying Maths,Further Maths and chemistry and currently in year 12. I want to make my career in Finance .I want to apply to LSE/Imperial/UCL/Warwick and any other good university to select please advice. I am not very sure on what courses to choose. Can i get advice on course choices?
Can I apply different courses at different uni ?
As an example I would like to apply for Actuarial Science at LSE but in another university would like to apply for mathemetics.
How do write my personal statement so that it satisfies all the course I will apply for.

If you want to go into finance then those are all target unis so that ticks the box. It's not a good idea to apply for 2 very different degrees so I would advise to just apply for one. As for course choices, if you're looking at IB then it doesn't really matter but the typical courses people do are maths/econ. Look at different modules, test papers and lectures to decide which course because at uni they're very different. I do Maths so the best advice I can give is for that subject. I would also look at Oxbridge ofc and outside of Oxbridge/London/Warwick there are still good semi targets such as Durham, Bristol, Bath etc. If you'd like to do maths then Warwick/Imperial are the best after Oxbridge (and UCL is still very good). For econ they're all brilliant (aside from Imperial, they're only starting the course this year so thats unknown) but you have a risk of 4 rejections if you apply to all of them for econ. With Maths, getting offers is alot easier but the offers are much harder and you'll have to do MAT/STEP/TMUA for Warwick and Imperial.
Reply 3
Thank you much for your advice. Are you doing maths which yera and which uni?
Reply 4
Also when is the time to take mat etc exam and when registration start?
Thank you much for your advice. Are you doing maths which yera and which uni?

I have just finished my first year in Maths at Warwick. MAT is taken in early November and deadline to register is 6pm on October 15th. It's ideal to register in September.
Reply 6
Thank you for the reply. We can do registration ourself or school does for us?
Also what score I should aim for?
Thank you for the reply. We can do registration ourself or school does for us?
Also what score I should aim for?

It will depend on the school so you should check with your school. Generally the mark to get in Oxford is around the mid 70s ut it will depend on how difficult the paper is each year. For Imperial and Warwick I believe the score required is usually around the mid to high 60s but again it will depend on the year.
I am studying Maths,Further Maths and chemistry and currently in year 12. I want to make my career in Finance .I want to apply to LSE/Imperial/UCL/Warwick and any other good university to select please advice. I am not very sure on what courses to choose. Can i get advice on course choices?
Can I apply different courses at different uni ?
As an example I would like to apply for Actuarial Science at LSE but in another university would like to apply for mathemetics.
How do write my personal statement so that it satisfies all the course I will apply for.

Hi

I currently study Actuarial Science (AS) in Edinburgh with the idea to either work as an Actuary, Investment Analyst or something else in the Finance world. AS at Heriot-Watt is renowned for this degree and gets you your maximum exemptions possible with a bachelors degree. If you have any further questions just ask!

Matthew (Yr3 AS)
Reply 9
Maths and acturial science are 2 different things. There are more stats ,economics ,social interactions and financy stuff involved in acturial science whilst maths is more about theory and ways in which numbers work in "pure mathematics". Maths and stats are actually 2 different fields of working with numbers. It's difficult , because for actuarial science it's stats and more applications invost maths is more theory inlovled .
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest