The Student Room Group

Can I get a 2:1 overall if I get a 3rd/low 2:2 in Second year?

Hi,

So I’ve had a lot of personal circumstances happen in the last year that alongside quite serious mental health issues, has meant that I’ve not done particularly well academically this year to say the least.

My question is: if my degree is worth 40% in 2nd year and 60% in 3rd year- is it possible to get an overall 2:1 if I get a high 3rd/ low 2:2 (not sure which one it’ll be yet) this year?

Any help would be fab, cheers
Mathematically yes. Third year has more weighing than second year, so if you do well enough in third year, then you could get 2.1 overall. Having messed up second year is going to hurt your chances a little bit, but mathematically you can still get a 2.1.

In practice....yes and no. It depends if you sort out your mental health problems in third year and have lots of motivation for studying in third year. You need to seriously reflect on what happened in second year and see if you can sort out these problems in third year. Because unless something changes your third year performance is likely to be similar to your second year performance.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

So I’ve had a lot of personal circumstances happen in the last year that alongside quite serious mental health issues, has meant that I’ve not done particularly well academically this year to say the least.

My question is: if my degree is worth 40% in 2nd year and 60% in 3rd year- is it possible to get an overall 2:1 if I get a high 3rd/ low 2:2 (not sure which one it’ll be yet) this year?

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear this :frown:

Similar happened to me in my second year. It is still possible to achieve a 2:1, but you need to put in the work next year. So speak to your tutor and ask for some academic advice. I found this to be really useful to me in my last year of uni.

Also, check your university policy. Sometimes they will alter how your grade is calculated when you graduate. For example, they might get rid of your two worst module marks, or only including your final year marks.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I'm sorry to hear this :frown:

Similar happened to me in my second year. It is still possible to achieve a 2:1, but you need to put in the work next year. So speak to your tutor and ask for some academic advice. I found this to be really useful to me in my last year of uni.

Also, check your university policy. Sometimes they will alter how your grade is calculated when you graduate. For example, they might get rid of your two worst module marks, or only including your final year marks.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes

We’re you able to get a 2:1?
Yes it is possible, seeing as year three weighs more. Third year is also typically harder though, so over the summer it is important to take steps to improve your mental wellbeing, and also a good time to improve your academic skills.

It could be worth making an appointment with your academic advisor, they will be able to signpost you to relevant and helpful university services. Perhaps also speak with your GP, and they should be able to provide ways to help your mental wellbeing. You can also use the site TogetherAll https://togetherall.com/en-gb/big-white-wall/ you can register free as a student, and it is helpful to use as it is anonymous, and you can put day to day things that aren't going well or you're worried about and get support and advice.

I hope this helps.

- Rosie
Original post by Malss12
We’re you able to get a 2:1?

Hi!

Yes, I did achieve achieve a 2:1

Best wishes
Reply 6
I messed up half of second year and the first half of third year, - low 2.2's, but after Xmas in 3rd year worked hard and managed to JUST scrape a 2.1, literally one point less and it would have been 2.2
Original post by Costalo
I messed up half of second year and the first half of third year, - low 2.2's, but after Xmas in 3rd year worked hard and managed to JUST scrape a 2.1, literally one point less and it would have been 2.2

That is very impressive! Well done
Hi,

I hope you're managing to take care of yourself :smile:

Given the weighting, it's possible to get a 2:1 overall. This depends on how your university calculates the overall classification degree and it's best to find this out in the policy and procedures section to check. From this, estimate how much you would need to score on each assignment/exam to guarantee a 2:1.
Although it's possible, the third year is challenging and mentally demanding so make sure you have something in place for your mental health if you need extra support. It would be good to have a self-care routine in place or at least give yourself things to refer to when you're not feeling so good.

I hope you get through and achieve your 2:1 :smile:

Veronica
Reply 9
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!I'm sorry to hear this :frown:Similar happened to me in my second year. It is still possible to achieve a 2:1, but you need to put in the work next year. So speak to your tutor and ask for some academic advice. I found this to be really useful to me in my last year of uni. Also, check your university policy. Sometimes they will alter how your grade is calculated when you graduate. For example, they might get rid of your two worst module marks, or only including your final year marks.I hope this helps!Best wishesChloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Hey, How would one go about the discarding of some modules and do you know wether all universities would offer this?
Original post by Lion500
Hey, How would one go about the discarding of some modules and do you know wether all universities would offer this?

Not all unis do this, so you need to check about your unis specific regs.
Reply 11
Original post by Admit-One
Not all unis do this, so you need to check about your unis specific regs.

Thank you for your reply; where would I find this? Exeter's websites are a mess!!
Original post by Lion500
Thank you for your reply; where would I find this? Exeter's websites are a mess!!

It should be either in your student handbook, or on Exeter's website under degree classification.

If you are struggling to find it, ask the admin folk in your academic department.
Hi,

If you have had mental health difficulties, and if you think these are going to cause similar road blocks in your 3rd year it might be worth considering deferring a year ? If you believe that would help its an option you could discuss with your University.
I only say this because I had a lot of difficulties in 3rd year due to one of my parents going through treatment for cancer. Luckily i think I have managed to get a really good grade, but its been really hard work. And in comparison to my peers I have had a really stressful experience.
Try weigh up your options, and if you do go back take full advantage of your universities mental health resources

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending